System Freeze and odd reboot problem - please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I would really appreciate some help.

I recently upgraded my pc by purchasing a MSI K8N Neo4-f Socket 939 motherboard and AMD 64 3500+ CPU. I did a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 and for the past 2 weeks the system has run fine until today...

I was playing a game (played since upgrading) and it just stopped working - frozen. I couldn't get any response (ctrl-alt-del did nothing) so I hit the reset button.

When the system rebooted, it didn't even get as far as read the HDD.. it just sat there. So I hit reset again, and it made no difference (screen went blank, heard the 'beep' and got the image the motherboard has on screen, then nothing).

I turned it off and left it for 5 minutes. This seemed to work, and the system booted in to windows just fine.

About 20 minutes later it did the same thing again. So I rebooted and instead of hanging on the initial boot screen, I got the message "Disk boot failure..." which is odd I thought... When I entered BIOS it didn't see my HDD.

After leaving it off for 5 mins or so, it booted back up fine (saw the HDD this time) and that was that.

Fast foward to 30 mins ago, the system crashed again, I rebooted again, it didn't see my HDD again... I waited a few mins and tried once more but still it couldn't see my drive?? I opened the case and plugged the sata cable in to another port and this time it worked and so I type this now wondering what the hell is going on...

So.. where on earth do I start in solving this problem? I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back