T-Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Tab out on November 10 for $400+

Emil

Staff

T-Mobile, the fourth biggest US mobile service, plans to sell the Samsung Galaxy Tab for $400 as of November 10, making it available one day before Verizon and four days before Sprint. The initial subsidized price tag means higher overall costs: the device will require a two-year contract, a $35 activation fee, and a $200 early termination charge should you decide to cancel.

For the sake of comparison, Sprint is also charging $400+ for the device (a two-year contract is required) while Verizon is charging $600 flat out (not contract required). On the other hand, Best Buy is offering it for $500 in a silver WiFi-only variety, a WiFi + 3G black version from Verizon, and a WiFi + 3G version from Sprint. No matter what carrier you go with, you'll end up paying upwards of $1,000 if you want to get data on the 7-inch Android 2.2 tablet.

In other T-Mobile news, the carrier says it is working on hotspot support for its T-Mobile G2 users, though an allegedly leaked document details a comprehensive data tethering plan for a $14.99 monthly fee, according to Boy Genius Report. The new feature would let you tether over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or a physical USB cable at both 3G and HSPA+ speeds, though only on a $20 or higher unlimited data plan. Unfortunately, the memo says the service will be subject to T-Mobile's throttling. The plan should arrive on November 3, which is possibly when the myTouch 4G will arrive, according to a leaked e-mail obtained by TmoNews.

Permalink to story.

400+ with 2 year agreement plus data charge ... to expensive. I don't think this will sell. You can get a ipad for 500bucks and use your current phone for tethering.

geektastic said:
400+ with 2 year agreement plus data charge ... to expensive. I don't think this will sell. You can get a ipad for 500bucks and use your current phone for tethering.

Add to that $30/month required online service... expensive!

like others said, it's still a bit pricey w/ a 2 yr contract, hard sell against other options.. i'll wait.

I'm sure there are still plenty of tech enthusiasts (doesnt necessarily mean they are knowledgable or smart techies though) that have the cash to dump in this, and will because they must have the biggest, best, newest device in their hands.

I too agree this is too expensive for a free-OS device with only a 7" display. The specs are good and i'd love to have one, but I just don't see it being worth that level of cash.

Regardless i'm glad to see competition coming out.

Guys wait and watch for Micromax Android phones in the market by this year end. It will provide phones selling under 100bucks

Hmm... Same with the guys above, I don't think this would take off very well. At that price point its way too expensive.

the5xfactor said:
geektastic said:

Add to that $30/month required online service... expensive!

Yeap!! way to xpensive, and i thought that apple was to xpensive...man!!

they don't earn on phone price. they actually earn on dataplan. $400 and 2 years data plan.. i guess this is expensive..

Back