Target takes on Amazon with nationwide same-day delivery

Polycount

Staff

As the saying goes, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em -- it seems that's a sentiment many traditional brick-and-mortar retailers have begun to adopt in the face of increased competition from online storefronts like Amazon.

For companies like Target and Walmart, that means improving their online ordering systems; including implementing a better user experience, lower prices, and most importantly: faster shipping.

Today, Target announced that its partnership with Shipt, which gives customers same-day delivery on a wide variety of products, is now expanding nationwide. Starting today, residents in 47 US states will be able to get "65,000 items" delivered to their door in "as soon as an hour." That's pretty impressive, given that even Amazon's same-day shipping service (Prime Now) is generally limited to two-hour deliveries.

Another benefit Target's same-day shipping system offers over its competitors is the ability for customers to edit or add items to their order before delivery takes place. Prime Now doesn't allow for this at the moment, and requires users to cancel their orders and place new ones if they happen to forget an important household product.

Of course, this service isn't free. You can either sign up for an annual $99/year membership, or opt to pay a flat $9.99 delivery fee for each order you place.

With that said, right now, Target is offering a free four-week trial to anyone that signs up for the service, as well as a $15 gift card once you spend over $100. If that offer sounds appealing, you can try the program out for yourself by visiting its official website right here.

Permalink to story.

Hmmmmm ..... our Target is a good 45 minute drive from my house ..... I hope they get those cross country drones up and running quick!

Hmmmmm ..... our Target is a good 45 minute drive from my house ..... I hope they get those cross country drones up and running quick!
The closest Target to my home town was over 2 hours away from the nearest store. Delivery would be cheaper than the gas to get there and back. That being said, I'm certain this will end up being a nation wide rollout the same way cellphone companies say they are rolling out Nationwide... Some exclusions will almost certainly apply.

FYI... the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" statement does not apply here.....

They are NOT "joining" anyone, they are merely attempting to maintain what they believe is their meager but barely competitive position in the retail landscape.... n. O. t.......

Target stores are or soon will soon be just one small step above the last remaining 10 kmarts.....crappy, messy stores with crappy merchandise and crappy, attitude-laden tennie boppers who think they know everything but actually don't know squat about nothing... or worse, the 50-60 year old long-timers who have been there since their high school days because they were always too fat, stupid and lazy to ever look for a real job, and are just milking their positions until they can collect social security.........

If they seriously think that they can win by taking on Amazon, then the company as a whole is even more dilusional than I ever thought possible.......

god luck with that !

Hm, Target is 0.5 miles away from where I live. Do drive 3 min and get it myself from the store? Do I be lazy and click a button and have it delivered in 1 hour? Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I prefer Walmart's model of buying things online and then picking them up curbside. The logistical work is completed by Walmart employees, and the pickup has no additional cost to the consumer.

Target's partnership with Shipt, on the other hand, involves third-party employees going through the normal motions of shopping (driving to/from the store, walking through the aisles, etc). These employees rely on large tips (I've heard 10% of your shopping bill is standard) for the process to be worthwhile.

How many people are willing to pay a 10% premium on their grocery bill?

FYI... the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" statement does not apply here.....

They are NOT "joining" anyone, they are merely attempting to maintain what they believe is their meager but barely competitive position in the retail landscape.... n. O. t.......

Target stores are or soon will soon be just one small step above the last remaining 10 kmarts.....crappy, messy stores with crappy merchandise and crappy, attitude-laden tennie boppers who think they know everything but actually don't know squat about nothing... or worse, the 50-60 year old long-timers who have been there since their high school days because they were always too fat, stupid and lazy to ever look for a real job, and are just milking their positions until they can collect social security.........

If they seriously think that they can win by taking on Amazon, then the company as a whole is even more dilusional than I ever thought possible.......

god luck with that !

You don't need to beat Amazon to do well. You just need to make money and grow. Last year target had $22 billion in profits. In fact, Target has made over $20 Billion /year in each of the last 4 years. Looks like they're doing pretty well.

Target knows what's it's doing too... I shop there often because they have self -checkout lanes that ACTUALLY WORK! They've completely disabled the checks that make you have to find an employee. And those teenagers who work there are pretty good at noticing when there's more than 2 people in a line and they open a new lane. They have competitive prices, a clean store, good selection, and the fastest checkout of any place near me.

Back