task manager won't open on vista home premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_p_a_k

i don't know when it started exactly, but now whenever i press ctrl+alt+del, the security menu comes up, but whenever i click the task manager, it doesn't open. it won't open through the run menu either, or through right clicking on the application toolbar. norton 360 and windows defender didn't give me any virii or spyware. how do i fix this?:O

Ok, maybe you have some sort of malware that`s causing your symptoms.

Go and read this thread HERE, then attach a HJT log to your next reply.

Regards Howard :)

try right clicking on the program bar next to your start menu and click on task manager if this doesnt work then go to run program and type taskmgr.exe and if that doesn't open it then sorry but ur screwed

e_p_a_k said:
it won't open through the run menu either, or through right clicking on the application toolbar.

already tried that.;)

here's the log file btw.=D

Attachments

• hijackthis log.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 6
There`s nothing nasty in your HJT log.

I don`t know if this will work in Vista, but it`s worth a try.

Click start/run and type sfc /scannow into the run box and press the enter key. Windows will search for any damaged or missing OS files and replace them as necessary. You will need to have your Windows cd handy.

hmm. nothing happened. rar. i have a suspicion when it started. someone stuck a flash disk in, and then double clicked it. it said "program cannot be found", or something like that. the kind that you'll have to right click to open. typical flash disk malware. ugh. norton 360 and defender both let it through. wtf.

so how do i fix this?? the scannow thing didn't work.:s

I don`t know how many are compatible with Vista, that`s why I said to follow as many of the instructions as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back