TCL unveils new 115-inch mini-LED TV with 5,000 nits brightness and 20,000 dimming zones

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? When it comes to televisions, bigger is usually better, which means TCL's 115-inch QM891G should be pretty good. The new mini-LED TV, just announced at CES, also boasts a massive 20,000 separate dimming zones and over 5,000 nits of brightness.

TCL's QM891G is packed with features, including a 120Hz QLED display (144Hz with VRR), AMD FreeSync Premium, anti-glare screen coating, an integrated 6.2.2-channel Dolby Atmos speaker system with up-firing speakers, and an ATSC 3.0 tuner for next-gen broadcasts.

The 20,000 separate dimming zones should be noticeable on a screen this size, offering excellent contrast. There's also the 5,000 nits of brightness - which the company claims is 2.5 times brighter than the current "brightest TV ever" - a TCL AIPQ Ultra Processor, and its use of Quantum Dot tech; TCL says it covers 98% of the DCI-P3 color gamut.

While the QM891G is an all-new model just announced by TCL, it's presumably a variant of the TCL X11G Max QD, a 115-inch, $13,000 television from the same company with the same specs that's only been available in China. YouTube tech star Linus Sebastian got his hands on one recently and liked it so much that he decided to keep it.

TCL announced several TVs at CES. Like the 115-inch model, the QM8 QD Mini LED TVs that range from 75 inches to 98 inches also have 5,000 nits peak brightness, 120Hz QLED panels (144Hz VRR), and anti-glare coating, though the number of local dimming zones is cut to a still very high 5,000. They include an in-built 2.1.2-channel Dolby Atmos speaker system, Dolby Vision IQ HDR, and an ATSC 3.0 tuner.

Dropping down the product stack is the QM7 series. These QD Mini-LEDS measure 55 to 98 inches, have 1,500 local dimming zones, up to 2,400 nits peak brightness, and Game Accelerator 240 allowing for 240 VRR while playing games. There's also HDR Ultra with Dolby Vision IQ and a 2.1-channel speaker system with a built-in subwoofer.

Finally, there's the regular (non-Mini-LED) QLED Q6 and Q6 Pro series. Available in 43-inch to 98-inch sizes, the Q6 series features an LED backlight that's 28% brighter than last year's models, while the 85-inch and 98-inch versions have a 120Hz display panel.

The Q6 Pro variants, meanwhile, measure 55-85 inches and come with a full array local dimming that is 33% brighter (600 nits) than last year's top TCL QLED series. Buyers also get hands-free voice control, a backlit remote, and adjustable width feet on larger sets.

Permalink to story.

Before we can use it to watch movies or use it as an htpc screen, we will have trouble installing it...
the size is very big and very heavy...

How bright do we actually need to make TVs? Are we trying to display accurate pictures of the sun?

I don't think I've seen anything worse than miniLED since the CRTs. Blooming is the worst of the worst, and this is on a top-of-the-line Samsung 65". My worst purchase ever.

If Linus likes it, it only further cements my opinion that he's a clown. For the record, reviewers liked my Samsung TV as well. That's why I bought it in the first place.

If blooming doesn't bother you, then clearly, your vision is impaired, in which case, you most certainly don't need a $2000 TV in the first place.

Say no to miniLED.

I've been waiting for microLED ever since, but apparently manufacturers can't figure it out, so they try to fill the time with gimmicks like transparent OLED and whatnot.

I don't think I've seen anything worse than miniLED since the CRTs. Blooming is the worst of the worst, and this is on a top-of-the-line Samsung 65". My worst purchase ever.

If Linus likes it, it only further cements my opinion that he's a clown. For the records, reviewers liked my Samsung TV as well.

If blooming doesn't bother you, then clearly, your vision is impaired, in which case, you most certainly don't need a $2000 TV in the first place.

Say no to miniLED.

I've been waiting for microLED ever since, but apparently manufacturers can't figure it out, so they try to fill the time with gimmicks like transparent OLED and whatever.
What is bludd blabbling about?

Just say you need to get your eyes checked.

I'll have to knock out one wall just to fit it into my living room and I'm afraid when they show a flock of birds my cats will go crazy!!!

I sometimes think my 75” is too big in a living room with 12’ ceilings. 115” is crazy outside of a dedicated theatre room. But then I barely watch TV.

I sometimes think my 75” is too big in a living room with 12’ ceilings. 115” is crazy outside of a dedicated theatre room. But then I barely watch TV.
I'm actually planning on downsizing from my 65". I wish 60" was a thing because I think 55" is just the slightest bit too small.

If Linus likes it, it only further cements my opinion that he's a clown. For the record, reviewers liked my Samsung TV as well. That's why I bought it in the first place.

Say no to miniLED.

I've been waiting for microLED ever since, but apparently manufacturers can't figure it out, so they try to fill the time with gimmicks like transparent OLED and whatnot.

Apparently the Sony X95M 85" will be really good with their new dimming IC board . But it will have a Sony tax on it

CRTs had amazing picture quality, it took DECADES for LCD tech to catch up.
I absolute agreed. back in 2009-8 all panels I remember looked like s..t, except the one in Apple iMac.
back then I had two wonderful 19" Samsung and IBM CRTs (still have the Samsung, queued to be repaired, so much I like it), and cost me a lot to migrate to some Viewsonic LCDs

How bright do we actually need to make TVs? Are we trying to display accurate pictures of the sun?
My Prince, I full well realize you were indulging in whimsical hyperboly with this post

Well, June, noon, clear daylight, is 16,000 Foot Candles. Which, if the online converter I found is accurate, equals 176.223 Nits.

Point being, TVs aren't quite there yet. Maybe next generation?

Although, perhaps it would better if TVs never reach the sun's brightness, since you would have to watch them through a #12 to #14 arc welding filter to prevent blindness :rolleyes:

I don't know about you, but I'm still working on going blind the old fashioned way. ;):laughing:

Last edited:
My Prince, I full well realize you were indulging in whimsical hyperboly with this post

Well, June, noon, clear daylight, is 16,000 Foot Candles. Which, if the online converter I found is accurate, equals 176.223 Nits.

Point being, TVs aren't quite there yet. Maybe next generation?

Although, perhaps it would better if TVs never reach the sun's brightness, since you would have to watch them through a #12 to #14 arc welding filter to prevent blindness :rolleyes:

I don't know about you, but I'm still working on going blind the old fashioned way. ;):laughing:

Most of it is BS to sell TVs - Super high NITS are wonderful etc
People who have these TVS rave about how good in sunny room ????
Look how good my loud speakers are with lots of other ambient sound

If you have a OLED with perfect blacks and can do 1000 Nits , then the only thing you need to make it perfect is 1000Nits in each primary colour
The dynamic range here exceeds all movie cameras by at least 3 stops of light if not more.
Don't believe me show me any hollywood camera that can do near back and bright sunny scene at same time .
So the colourist etc can mess around in the studio , or anime and boost these figures

HDR is a hyper real look
Humans can only see I think from memory 12 stops of light comfortable , before needing pupils/irises to adjust

So really there is no real need to grade over 1000 if have perfect blacks and you watch in a darkened room
However no consumer TV does 1000 nits in red , blue, green - So big gains there still

If gaming in a bright room or watching sport on a big TV in a lighted sports bar then the above TV , or 5000 Nits smaller TV for gaming would be great

Back