Tesla finally launches Full Self-Driving beta 9

Joe White

What just happened? Tesla has released an over-the-air software update delivering its anticipated Full Self-Driving beta 9, allowing users to experience a more immersive autonomous driving experience. The update allows Tesla owners to use Autopilot's advanced driver-assist features on local, non-highway streets.

Tesla's Full Self-Driving (FSD) beta 9 – or update 2021.4.18.12 – started rolling out at midnight on Friday, allowing users to activate some of Autopilot's advanced autonomous driving features on local, non-highway streets.

It's a long-anticipated update, for sure. Elon Musk promised the feature back in 2018, and again claimed it would launch in 2020. So understandably, Tesla owners are more than a little excited to download the software update.

Alongside the ability to auto-drive on local roads, FSD beta 9 also brings new visualizations and improvements to the cabin camera's driver monitoring.

But don't forget – Tesla's self-driving mode is far from foolproof, and users are urged to keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel at all times. As Elon Musk himself put it... "be paranoid."

The self-driving tech underwent a price-hike last year, increasing from an additional $8,000 to a $10,000 add-on. While it's far from the finished product, early impressions of the FSD beta 9 – including the video below – are positive.

Permalink to story.

So, what's new again?

rip.png

I can't wait for the self-driving crap to fade away.
Lazy, rushed, inefficient development for lazy people who can't wait for the next new thing to take them by the hand and lead them through life is never a good combination.

The one thing that is completely new with this version is they are only using cameras now--no radar (just like human drivers). I don't believe there's another company taking that approach to full self-driving (Lidar relies on lasers, radar, and cameras). That's one major component cost that's no longer included in Tesla vehicles. For reference, in my 2015 vehicle when something on the freeway hit the radar sensor (nothing else was damaged), the cost was $1100. And for real world driving radar is finicky anyways because its signal reacts erratically depending on certain objects it bounces off of.

The one thing that is completely new with this version is they are only using cameras now--no radar (just like human drivers). I don't believe there's another company taking that approach to full self-driving (Lidar relies on lasers, radar, and cameras). That's one major component cost that's no longer included in Tesla vehicles. For reference, in my 2015 vehicle when something on the freeway hit the radar sensor (nothing else was damaged), the cost was $1100. And for real world driving radar is finicky anyways because its signal reacts erratically depending on certain objects it bounces off of.
That is a good point. They are equipping all their vehicles with 8 cameras.

I'm a little confused though. Is this a new release for the mostly employers and Internet influencers if the limited beta? Or is this something my car will get in the next days or weeks?

More incentive for people to not be careful while operating a vehicle. Driving needs to become more difficult to filter out the plebs - don't like it get a cab = less *****s on the road.

More incentive for people to not be careful while operating a vehicle. Driving needs to become more difficult to filter out the plebs - don't like it get a cab = less *****s on the road.
Hell yeah! While we're at it, let's go back to payphones, speakers that don't answer questions, and the Abacus! F* technology advancements! Everything should be harder, because real men don't use robot vacuums!

Hell yeah! While we're at it, let's go back to payphones, speakers that don't answer questions, and the Abacus! F* technology advancements! Everything should be harder, because real men don't use robot vacuums!
I could be wrong I guess, but I'm pretty sure none of those things can cause us to kill someone.

I can't wait for the self-driving crap to fade away.
Lazy, rushed, inefficient development for lazy people who can't wait for the next new thing to take them by the hand and lead them through life is never a good combination.

Your views are extremely limited to not see the benefits of self-driving.

You would think people of Techspot would be much more constructive, but it's funny how many anti-tech and people stuck in the past there are on the platform.

Your views are extremely limited to not see the benefits of self-driving.
Self-driving? No I honestly don't. Except more time to sleep it seems.
Full autonomy, yes but not until it is as perfected as airplane autopilot.
But even that still has pilots ready, so I guess you are right.
The only benefit I see for a self-driving car are lazy people.
It's way less safe, it saves no time, and it is going to cost a ton until it can get to a point where it is involved in fewer crashes than human drivers.

But what exactly are the benefits as you see it?

You would think people of Techspot would be much more constructive, but it's funny how many anti-tech and people stuck in the past there are on the platform.
Where are those anti-tech people? Haven't heard something this stupid in a while.
You got me, I want the stone age back!

I'm a little confused though. Is this a new release for the mostly employers and Internet influencers if the limited beta? Or is this something my car will get in the next days or weeks?
It’ll be only those in the early access beta program who can test it now, and if everything goes well then in a month anyone who paid for FSD will be able to download it (source). However Musk has been wrong about timelines for FSD a lot so I would assume much longer than a month.

Last edited:
I could be wrong I guess, but I'm pretty sure none of those things can cause us to kill someone.
Oh yeah, you're wrong. I'll bet Roombas have caused more deaths than Teslas, when you factor in lives saved as well. Self driving is a massive safety feature, not a safety risk like you're assuming. Humans cause deadly accidents by the thousands EVERY DAY. A few self-driving fatalities get disproportionate press.

It's like guns. That dude invents the TASER and it saves countless lives, but every single TASER fatality makes the news. Gun deaths only make international news when the word "mass" applies.

Even if self-driving was more dangerous during "beta" than human driving (it isn't), it would be worth it.

way less safe
That is nonsense. Even those a-holes that do actually sit in the back seat or literally fall asleep while using it are far more safe than the average driver. They absolutely shouldn't be doing that, but while they are, there's a very low chance of the car making a deadly mistake. Meanwhile, thousands of non-self-driving motor vehicle fatalities happen every day due to human actions. Just take falling asleep... it DOES happen. It shouldn't, but it does. MUCH safer when the car drives itself instead, no?

The assumption you're making, but not quite starting, is that self driving systems necessarily make the driver less attentive. The potential is there, but it isn't absolute. You need to compare like for like. A *good* driver is reasonably safe without self driving, but a good driver is attentive while using the tech, and is far less prone to making a mistake. A *bad* driver may abuse the system, but a bad driver can also deliberate ram someone because they momentarily feel rage. A bad driver is WAY safer in anytime the car is driving rather than him! But people like you automatically compare a bad driver with FSD to a model driver without. And they always presume to be that model driver, which is lol

It’ll be only those in the early access beta program who can test it now, and if everything goes well then in a month anyone who paid for FSD will be able to download it (source). However Musk has been wrong about timelines for FSD a lot so I would assume much longer than a month.
Thanks. That's what I figured, but all the articles are writing like we all just got this update. But it's only the 2000 mostly employees that have it.

Self-driving? No I honestly don't. Except more time to sleep it seems.
Full autonomy, yes but not until it is as perfected as airplane autopilot.
But even that still has pilots ready, so I guess you are right.
The only benefit I see for a self-driving car are lazy people.
It's way less safe, it saves no time, and it is going to cost a ton until it can get to a point where it is involved in fewer crashes than human drivers.

But what exactly are the benefits as you see it?

Ridesharing. You need to get from A to B but do not need to own a car to do it. You simply call up and the car comes. That car then goes back on road picking someone else up. Quite economical this.
You are at a pub/too drunk.
Cars going back and forth between locations to offload packages/gear.
Medical emergencies.
Not wasting HOURS of manual driving when you can do more important things like working/playing games during the journey.

Cars will be fully autonomous and it's happening quick. Within the next decade this will be a norm. The only hazards will be suicidal pedestrians and potentially hacking.

Yes aircraft are much more complicated than land vehicles.

Oh yeah, you're wrong. I'll bet Roombas have caused more deaths than Teslas
To be fair, I wanted to let you know I stopped wasting my time after this sentence. That just may be the dumbest statement of the month.

Unless you meant the giant Roomba from Skynet?

That is nonsense. Even those a-holes that do actually sit in the back seat or literally fall asleep while using it are far more safe than the average driver.
Really? Because letting the self driving car handle everything was exactly what got them in the crashes.

Last edited:
Back