Tesla sets Q2 record with over 200,000 vehicles delivered

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Tesla set a new record for vehicle deliveries in the second quarter, having delivered a total of 201,250 all-electric vehicles to customers during the three-month period. Of those, 199,360 were Model 3 and Model Y variants. The remaining 1,890 deliveries fell into the Model S and Model X category.

Tesla said it only considers a vehicle delivered once it has been transferred to the customer and all paperwork is correct. As such, final numbers could vary by as much as 0.5 percent or more, we’re told.

Production during the quarter largely mirrored deliveries. Tesla said it built 204,081 Model 3 and Model Y vehicles during the period, and just 2,340 Model S and Model X examples.

Tesla last month showed off its new Model S Plaid and delivered the first 25 vehicles to their new owners. The high-end Model S is capable of hitting 60 mph from a standstill in just 1.99 seconds and can take down the quarter mile in 9.23 seconds. According to EPA estimates, it’s good for 390 miles on a single charge.

One of Tesla’s new Model S Plaid sedans recently caught fire in Pennsylvania, briefly trapping the occupant inside before he was able to escape.

Image credit Nadezda Murmakova

Permalink to story.

This is the fourth record delivery quarter in a row for Tesla. YoY deliveries are up over 120% (though it was a quarter impacted by the pandemic) and compared to the record before that time they're up 80%.

The downside is that Model S/X vehicles (combined) have reached their lowest levels ever at a 93% drop from their previous high in 2017, but considering they started deliveries less than a month ago, that's to be expected.

My only disappointment is that Musk ruined the attractiveness of my Tesla shares by gambling in Bitcon.

(No I did not forget the “I”)

Regardless of what Musk may be as a person (I don't know)... he's the definition of "entrepreneur".

I would never have believed that a full-fledged electric car company could have been launched and even survive now, never mind go from zero to sixty in these few years. I thought gas won that war a century ago.

And I felt the same way about an independent space vehicle company.

While I'm still not ready to buy either one... Bravo!

This is the fourth record delivery quarter in a row for Tesla. YoY deliveries are up over 120% (though it was a quarter impacted by the pandemic) and compared to the record before that time they're up 80%.

The downside is that Model S/X vehicles (combined) have reached their lowest levels ever at a 93% drop from their previous high in 2017, but considering they started deliveries less than a month ago, that's to be expected.
Considering Tesla is valued as if they were expected to produce every single car in the world one day, they better grow every single quarter for a very long time.

Regardless of what Musk may be as a person (I don't know)... he's the definition of "entrepreneur".

I would never have believed that a full-fledged electric car company could have been launched and even survive now, never mind go from zero to sixty in these few years. I thought gas won that war a century ago.

And I felt the same way about an independent space vehicle company.

While I'm still not ready to buy either one... Bravo!
hes also the only one pushing electric car tech forward. The new model s has a supposed 390 mile range. It used to only be 335, and he still hasnt put a transmission in one of these cars yet.

Tesla is the only company seemingly serious about long range cars. Personally I would want an electric car to either recharge in 15 minutes or be able to go 600+ miles at highway speeds on a single charge. Musk is edging closer to that figure.

hes also the only one pushing electric car tech forward. The new model s has a supposed 390 mile range. It used to only be 335, and he still hasnt put a transmission in one of these cars yet.

Tesla is the only company seemingly serious about long range cars. Personally I would want an electric car to either recharge in 15 minutes or be able to go 600+ miles at highway speeds on a single charge. Musk is edging closer to that figure.
What specific tech did Tesla invent? Tesla is the only company taking massive risks, because Tesla can get away with it. Other tradition car companies are releasing their electric vehicles soon. Mercedes will be coming out with a bunch soon. I see their test cars all the time in Stuttgart.

Back