Tested: One of the Best-Selling (No Brand) Gaming Monitors on Amazon

And now we'll see how long this Viotek monitor lasts, whether it is built with robust electronics. There is no real assessment here of build quality, only external appearance and usability.

We need more generic brands to breakaway from the myth of only the top 3 branded items are the best.

Generic brands tend to have lesser quality. The article pretty much told us as much. The big question will it last. I highly doubt it. Other brands give better warranty but the off brand is giving 1 yr? Seems a lil off. That should give a lil hint that the manufacturer probably knows they wont last or at least may have issues after 1 yr when similar monitors offer longer warranties.
Not to mention the manufacturer did very lil to the monitor begin with. No calabration n cheap plastic.

Is it worth it, imo no.

Always check the manufacturers rep. Dont take just one persons word, ask/check around. In the end its your money.

"Top Brands" also order parts from generic manufacturers. But due to their brand names, the price is bloated.

Just like Starbucks coffee... it's absurd that people would pay so much money for the same cup of coffee you can make on your own at home, for a fraction of the cost.

It's all in the brand name. If it's branded, it's expensive.

People who champion branded ones are the best, have to wake up.

Spend money wisely... not just because it's branded.

Even Samsung phones explode.

**head shaking**

Last edited:
If it was an additional 30-50% off of MSI's price, then I'd consider it. But, why would anyone consider this when it's neck-and-neck with MSI? That makes no logical sense...

Excellent review. It's always nice to see Techspot (and other tech sites) do reviews on products people know little about but are often very good deals.

Does anyone outside of professionals care about color calibration? Personally, I don't.

If you really want to get down to the nitty-gritty in color calibration, any display would need to be calibrated for each source that it serves.

For instance, if you calibrate a display for video sources that include web, OTA TV, and a blu-ray player, chances are you can only calibrate for the blu-ray player, and use that as a baseline, but the color signal from the other sources will all be different - making the blu-ray player the only truly calibrated source.

If you edit material from a camera of some sort, the display needs to be calibrated for that camera - meaning you shoot a test pattern with that camera, and then calibrate to that image of the test pattern. Calibration means little unless it is done in that fashion. Even then, if you change something like color temperature of the camera, you need to re-calibrate the monitor to those new settings.

I like the way that Joe Kane puts it in his calibration disks: "NTSC stands for Never Twice the Same Color."

Does anyone outside of professionals care about color calibration? Personally, I don't.

If you really want to get down to the nitty-gritty in color calibration, any display would need to be calibrated for each source that it serves.

For instance, if you calibrate a display for video sources that include web, OTA TV, and a blu-ray player, chances are you can only calibrate for the blu-ray player, and use that as a baseline, but the color signal from the other sources will all be different - making the blu-ray player the only truly calibrated source.

If you edit material from a camera of some sort, the display needs to be calibrated for that camera - meaning you shoot a test pattern with that camera, and then calibrate to that image of the test pattern. Calibration means little unless it is done in that fashion. Even then, if you change something like color temperature of the camera, you need to re-calibrate the monitor to those new settings.

I like the way that Joe Kane puts it in his calibration disks: "NTSC stands for Never Twice the Same Color."

That is the purpose of standards like srgb, hdr, and Dolby, the problem is it all makes zero sense because there is no absolute standard 100% uniform calibration from all devices to use as a hard standard.

I mean you could always pay for a Pantone rated display from NEC or Dell professional monitors, but professionals paying for pro gear...godforbid that in the PC workspace, I mean let's face it the industry was pioneered by garage armchair warriors, the industry gravitates completely at releasing binned parts for pros and then giving the crap to consumers that Enterprise won't buy for rediculous money from those fat corporate coffers and slapping a discount on it for consumers with a 10th of the warranty.

When it comes to monitors, I have never seen a bad Dell display, even the 2003ish LCDs still look good from them and Gateway, although outdated. They are expensive though.

Generics can be better than the big boy companies, but it is rare, Vizio proved you could have a great price for a decent HDTV, Westinghouse was a Sears brand American made that had solid products for a real good price. Keep in mind all the big companies started somewhere.

Personally a monitor is just the 1 thing I wouldn't cheap out on, your eyes are not something you should neglect, and the panel should be of proper size, form, resolution, brightness, to not strain them out. If you are only buying or building a budget PC you shouldn't be looking at this anyways as any graphics card you are looking at won't push the pixels in gaming and the monitor clearly isn't for anything but that.

When it comes to monitors, I have never seen a bad Dell display, even the 2003ish LCDs still look good from them and Gateway, although outdated. They are expensive though.

Generics can be better than the big boy companies, but it is rare, Vizio proved you could have a great price for a decent HDTV, Westinghouse was a Sears brand American made that had solid products for a real good price. Keep in mind all the big companies started somewhere.

Personally a monitor is just the 1 thing I wouldn't cheap out on, your eyes are not something you should neglect, and the panel should be of proper size, form, resolution, brightness, to not strain them out. If you are only buying or building a budget PC you shouldn't be looking at this anyways as any graphics card you are looking at won't push the pixels in gaming and the monitor clearly isn't for anything but that.

I've had LOTS of bad DELL Displays. When I was questing for my first >1080/1200 monitor (I.e. a 1440p), I went through at least 4 (it may have been 5) Dell Ultrasharp U2713HMs. Each one had serious defects - astonishing backlight bleed typically in combination with several dead pixels (one had a cluster of them the size of a dime) or bits of debris longed between the antiglare layer and the panel). At one point I had a stack of 4-5 $700 monitors on the floor of my computer room, as they just kept sending our more and more **** panels. Returned those eventually... was on a first name basis with a guy in their RMA dept.; also returned two Viewsonics and two Asus 1440p monitors with similar problems. So it took me a few months in the end to get a satisfactory display.

And the hilarious part - I decided to take a gamble with a Korean X-star DP2710-LED, which was less than half the price of the name brand parts. And can you imagine? ZERO dead pixels. No backlight bleed. Very acceptable IPS glow, oh and it overclocked without breaking a sweat to 100Hz (DVI-DL only versions typically can do 120+-, but I didn't want to stress it too much). Still works perfectly to this day.

Moral: All these guys get their panels from the same place and it's the luck of he draw. Dell clearly doesn't even give a 30 second visual inspection of their top-of-the-line Ultrasharp factory-calibrated monitors for severe physical defects. Remind me again what I'm paying their ridiculous premium for?

Sure the X-Star's stand is a POS, but unlike its sister Qnix QX2710, you can simply pull out the stand support stub with a bit of elbow grease (Qnix glued em in which mean to VESA mount your screen and not see a plastic peg hanging off the bottom you had to take the whole casing apart. Once I mounted mine to an Ergotron dual-articulating wall mount.... (Well the Amazon Basics rebrand that costs $100 less), I'd be amazed if anyone could show me a nicer setup for less money. I paid $307.90 USD for the monitor and $99 for the incredible wall mount).

Anyway, TLDR don't judge a monitor by its brand name. Means very little. I tried and returned 8 or 9 Dell, Asus, and Viewsonic 27" 1440p displays before I found a massively superior "second rate" alternative for 1/2 (or less) the price.... oh yeah it does 100Hz without skipping a frame and has done so flawlessly since day one (I got this before G/Free-Sync were a thing). Has now been working perfectly at 100Hz for just under 5 years (Purchased Sept. 2013).

Last edited:
Generic brands tend to have lesser quality. The article pretty much told us as much. The big question will it last. I highly doubt it. Other brands give better warranty but the off brand is giving 1 yr? Seems a lil off. That should give a lil hint that the manufacturer probably knows they wont last or at least may have issues after 1 yr when similar monitors offer longer warranties.
Not to mention the manufacturer did very lil to the monitor begin with. No calabration n cheap plastic.

Is it worth it, imo no.

Always check the manufacturers rep. Dont take just one persons word, ask/check around. In the end its your money.

LG is giving 1-year warranty on many of their high-end displays now too. I've been shopping for a 4K display and even in some of their $1K+ semi-professional units, it's a *ONE YEAR WARRANTY*.

I can vouch for my Crossover 3412UM AH-IPS BOOST CLOCK 3440 x 1440 95Hz limited edition FreeSync 40Hz - 95Hz(paired it with a OC and under-volt Vega 56) Been playing SW battlefront 2 in 2K ultrawide @~85Hz.

Got it since Sept 2017. ZERO dead pixels. Level1Techs did a review of my unit's model last year.

I pay CAD 820$ with duties. Worth every penny!

Last edited:
Flat panel monitors are one item where brand names mean very little. The panels all come from the same place usually, and it's a panel lottery no matter which brand you choose. Brand names like dell might use higher quality plastic on the outside but inside it's all the same **** from china or taiwan.

I've had LOTS of bad DELL Displays. When I was questing for my first >1080/1200 monitor (I.e. a 1440p), I went through at least 4 (it may have been 5) Dell Ultrasharp U2713HMs. Each one had serious defects - astonishing backlight bleed typically in combination with several dead pixels (one had a cluster of them the size of a dime) or bits of debris longed between the antiglare layer and the panel). At one point I had a stack of 4-5 $700 monitors on the floor of my computer room, as they just kept sending our more and more **** panels. Returned those eventually... was on a first name basis with a guy in their RMA dept.; also returned two Viewsonics and two Asus 1440p monitors with similar problems. So it took me a few months in the end to get a satisfactory display.

And the hilarious part - I decided to take a gamble with a Korean X-star DP2710-LED, which was less than half the price of the name brand parts. And can you imagine? ZERO dead pixels. No backlight bleed. Very acceptable IPS glow, oh and it overclocked without breaking a sweat to 100Hz (DVI-DL only versions typically can do 120+-, but I didn't want to stress it too much). Still works perfectly to this day.

Moral: All these guys get their panels from the same place and it's the luck of he draw. Dell clearly doesn't even give a 30 second visual inspection of their top-of-the-line Ultrasharp factory-calibrated monitors for severe physical defects. Remind me again what I'm paying their ridiculous premium for?

Sure the X-Star's stand is a POS, but unlike its sister Qnix QX2710, you can simply pull out the stand support stub with a bit of elbow grease (Qnix glued em in which mean to VESA mount your screen and not see a plastic peg hanging off the bottom you had to take the whole casing apart. Once I mounted mine to an Ergotron dual-articulating wall mount.... (Well the Amazon Basics rebrand that costs $100 less), I'd be amazed if anyone could show me a nicer setup for less money. I paid $307.90 USD for the monitor and $99 for the incredible wall mount).

Anyway, TLDR don't judge a monitor by its brand name. Means very little. I tried and returned 8 or 9 Dell, Asus, and Viewsonic 27" 1440p displays before I found a massively superior "second rate" alternative for 1/2 (or less) the price.... oh yeah it does 100Hz without skipping a frame and has done so flawlessly since day one (I got this before G/Free-Sync were a thing). Has now been working perfectly at 100Hz for just under 5 years (Purchased Sept. 2013).

Wow dude, that is serious bad luck, I feel sorry you went through all that, I never had any problems occasionally id see dead pixels on cheaper Asus and Acer panels but other than that not really that kind of bad luck all my friends and customers got acceptable IPS glow even some perfect panels but exeedingly rare, LG though I've had the most luck with, but they manufacturer their own panels and they are expensive and color calibrated from the factory, I did here some monitor manufacturers were having trouble due to QC because of that whole Chinese debacle where manufacturers were getting bad products from less than stellar workers.

Flat panel monitors are one item where brand names mean very little. The panels all come from the same place usually, and it's a panel lottery no matter which brand you choose. Brand names like dell might use higher quality plastic on the outside but inside it's all the same **** from china or taiwan.

BTW when I mean color calibrated panels I'm talking about the pro monitors, like NEC, DELL, LG, and other manufactures that make display monitors like the $2k to 8k panels as such for Enterprise, although I'd never seen a bad Dell Ultrasharp I imagine because they are still secondary consumer panels rather than Enterprise firsts they could still get defects, I could Garner a guess that these off brand monitors check their panels more closely because they already know they are getting left over secondary panels if not buying extra stock of primary panels in all cases the color accuracy is ussually way off on these panels to the point it's really bad.

I can vouch for my Crossover 3412UM AH-IPS BOOST CLOCK 3440 x 1440 95Hz limited edition FreeSync 40Hz - 95Hz(paired it with a OC and under-volt Vega 56) Been playing SW battlefront 2 in 2K ultrawide @~85Hz.

Got it since Sept 2017. ZERO dead pixels. Level1Techs did a review of my unit's model last year.

Nice that ain't bad, I bought the Alienware 34 gsync 3440x1440 IPS curved 120htz for around 900$ on sale but that doesn't include taxes so it was a bit more, had no defects(got lucky apparently) with only very slight IPS glow in the bottom corners, paired mine up with an EVGA 1080ti ftw, have zero problems maintaing the frames. I paid a bit more but it sounds like you got a great deal.

I bought a 32” 4K freesync IPS monitor for £300 from a company called EletriQ. I find it pretty decent, certainly for the money it’s good. Whilst it doesn’t compare to some of the more expensive panels out there it’s certainly looks good enough for me. If only I had a GPU that could power it...

Nice that ain't bad, I bought the Alienware 34 gsync 3440x1440 IPS curved 120htz for around 900$ on sale but that doesn't include taxes so it was a bit more, had no defects(got lucky apparently) with only very slight IPS glow in the bottom corners, paired mine up with an EVGA 1080ti ftw, have zero problems maintaing the frames. I paid a bit more but it sounds like you got a great deal.

That's a whole lot more, U$ 900 + tax vs CAD 820$. Like 40-50% more.

That's a whole lot more, U$ 900 + tax vs CAD 820$. Like 40-50% more.

I got it from ebay: Dream Seller. It was 550$ USD or best offer at the time. I negotiated for a 25$ off. So 525$ USD, shipping included. With the cash I saved I got a Sapphire Vega 56 (780$ cad). A perfect pair for this awesome monitor!

Last edited:
I was at Costco the other day they was selling Samsung 31-inch Curve Monitor for $199. My ACER 27-inch was $179 a few years ago LED true 27-inch. I only use ACER monitors but my two ACER 23-inch LED look sharper than the 27-inch. SONY HDTV blow away computer monitors as well. 40-inch right now I using it. I can flip to OTA on the time. But for serious computing sometimes computer monitor comes in need. What you have here is off brand I bet the panel is Samsung because the way it looks to me just like the one at Costco for $199. I am not a fan of Samsung so it's Samsung, ACER or HP monitors for me. I would go with ACER. Off brands just make it and shove it to us. I did buy a 19-ich rotating computer monitor made by Hyundai. That lasted a long time. I thought it would be neat to rotate the screen but you soon learn why that's not a good idea.

Back