The 2020 Corvette is Chevy's first American supercar

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: Aesthetically, the C8 looks more like the recently announced Ferrari SF90 than a traditional Corvette. If you’ve wondered what an American supercar not named the Ford GT looks like, well, this is it.

General Motors at a media event on Thursday evening officially unveiled its eighth-generation Corvette. It’s the first mid-engine Corvette in the model’s history and it’ll start at under $60,000 according to GM President Mark Reuss.

The base model 2020 Corvette Stingray will pack a 6.2-liter V8 (LT2) pumping out 495 horsepower and 470 foot-pounds of torque (with the Z51 performance package) that’s mated to an eight-speed dual clutch automatic transmission. At just 3,366 pounds, the mid-engine Chevy can reportedly sprint from zero to 60 mph in under three seconds with help from the grippy 305/30ZR-20 tires at the rear.

The Vette’s driver-centric cockpit is also unique, or as some might say, controversial. It’s equipped with a large infotainment screen like those seen in Tesla vehicles as well as a curious vertical row of buttons that line the sizable center console which provides plenty of separation between driver and passenger. There’s also a dual-spoke, hexagonal steering wheel and plenty of nifty tech under the hood.

One of the Vette's top party tricks is the front lift, a GPS-assisted active suspension system that elevates the front end by nearly two inches to help tackle speed bumps and steep driveways.

Production is set to begin in Bowling Green, Kentucky, later this year. In the interim, you can tinker with the Corvette Configurator to build a Stingray to your exact specifications.

Permalink to story.

I wonder how often it will have to be in the repair shop...

Lol what are you talking about? Do you know anything about the long run tried and true of theChevy pushrod and how dependable it is ,light weight easy to work on, cheap to buy and cheap to add big power. The LS engine is still one of the best engines ever made and others are putting that engine in Euro cars. I worked at Chevy and rarely saw a Vette in the shop or trucks, just mostly cheap crappy Cobalts, Cavaliers, Sunfires, Impala's ( with the 3.1multi port and 3.4L ). I own and modded and tuned LT1 Camaro Z28 and my LS1 Camaro SS.

Want garbage buy Dodge. Read up about the issues on their Hemi's now. Failure rate is high and happen at low mileage.

I like it other than a couple things:

*the excessive scoops on the sides detract from the body line flow
*the "infotainment" is a distraction (eye sore) plus looks like they glued a monitor to the dash.
*the console is huge. A much smaller one would have saved weight.

I am looking forward to reviewing the handling compared to other cars. I would like to have seen a picture of how the engine sits/accessed in the car other than a 50 foot view through the window.

Nice looking car for the price! I would have expected $80k plus. Probably fully loaded may tip into that range or even $100k? Makes me wonder what the people plunking down upper 50 thou for a well equipped Camaro think about it. Unfortunately, auto insurance always seems to determine who can afford to buy a Corvette.

Nice looking car for the price! I would have expected $80k plus. Probably fully loaded may tip into that range or even $100k? Makes me wonder what the people plunking down upper 50 thou for a well equipped Camaro think about it. Unfortunately, auto insurance always seems to determine who can afford to buy a Corvette.
PLPD Baby! YOLO!

For somone not in usa. The report missed some important information (yes I live streamed the reveal).

Right hand drive and export has been confirmed.

Lol what are you talking about? Do you know anything about the long run tried and true of theChevy pushrod and how dependable it is ,light weight easy to work on, cheap to buy and cheap to add big power. The LS engine is still one of the best engines ever made and others are putting that engine in Euro cars. I worked at Chevy and rarely saw a Vette in the shop or trucks, just mostly cheap crappy Cobalts, Cavaliers, Sunfires, Impala's ( with the 3.1multi port and 3.4L ). I own and modded and tuned LT1 Camaro Z28 and my LS1 Camaro SS.

Want garbage buy Dodge. Read up about the issues on their Hemi's now. Failure rate is high and happen at low mileage.
I think @QuantumPhysics will likely have some input on the subject! :laughing:

I like the look of the new C8, as others have pointed out it's not the first american super car, we have had plenty since the 90's (saleen S7, Viper, Corvete Zr1, Z06, Ford GT). I like how this builds on the changes to the C7. Chevy has to make cars for today/ tomorrows customers, not the last 3 decades. Sure the old farts in the corvette owners club will complain, but what are millennials and gen X buying when they want a sports car and have the money? Mid-engine Lamboghinis, Ferrairs, Audis, just about anything not Chevy, dodge, and mustang. C7 was a bid to make the classic front engine corvette look more aggressive and appealing to the younger generations and it worked well looking at production figures, this was the next logical step to invade more of those euro cars market as well as improve the performance for someone looking at a corvette. I would like to see a corvette classic every few years, just a basic front engine old school inspired corvette, nothing crazy performance wise, just a basic model current C7 corvette inspired car, good little fun cruiser with some pep to it.

"One of the Vette's top party tricks is the front lift, a GPS-assisted active suspension system that elevates the front end by nearly two inches to help tackle speed bumps and steep driveways."

One of its top party tricks? lol
Oh Chevy....

Many have tried and failed with the mid-engine ... just hope Chevy has better luck!
Just ask Pontiac motors. Oh wait, you can't, they're out of business.

Consider this in "loving memory" of the "Fiero": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Fiero

https://www.motor1.com/news/132346/worst-sports-cars-pontiac-fiero/
And there were these two:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Tomaso_Pantera
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_X1/9
More RIP mid-engine cars

Back