The Best AMD Ryzen Gaming Laptops (So Far)

Out of these choices, my pick is the HP OMEN, but, you should wait for the sale offer (check Microcenter) where you can snag the 2060 instead of the 1660Ti.

RAM prices have dropped so all you need to do is upgrade to the maximum allowable and you're all set.

Call HP and they may do a price drop for you just to get your business.

2 friends and 1 family member came to me for advice on buying a laptop and I had them buy the Omen 2060. Sure they spent $125 more but they are very happy with the near-future proofing.

I'm picking up my HP Omen 15 Ryzen 4800H 16Gb 1660 Ti today. I went with this configuration instead of the G14 for a few reasons:

1. The RAM slots allow for expansion up to 64GB all in dual channel mode, where the G14 is limited to 40gb RAM, with the 1st 16GB dual channel and the rest is single channel.

2. A larger screen, better response times, HP has a Web Camera, while the G14 doesn't.

3. After taxes and my student discount it was $1146 out the door at Best buy, where the G14 was about $1450 after taxes. So overall performance to $$ ratio is better with the HP Ryzen configuration. Although if you need something 1lb lighter and an inch smaller the G14 wins in the size to performance category.

4. The HP also has a 2nd NVMe expansion slot.

5. I'll mostly be using the laptop for coding and running multiple Virtual Machines to conduct various Pen Test and Cyber Security based labs for self teaching on the go . Therefore the 2060 would of been overkill for me as I'm more focused on RAM,CPU, and Storage.

I appreciate your work. However, would you do ultrabook comparisons? I have no interest in gaming laptops personally.

Last year I purchased a Zenbook with a 3500U. Only to find it got beaten quite badly by my 2 year old basic iPad when it came to 4K video editing. So I clearly need to do more research!

IMO the dell isnt even a viable option. The heat output isnt just ludicrous, but it throttles the 5600m constantly. Performance was about the same as MSI laptops with the RX 5500m. And dell themselves no longer sell it on their website, so long term support is going to be practically nil.

The Eluktronics RP-15 is a great choice, because it has a 110W 2060 instead of the 90W 2060 or 80W 2060 max Q. It will outperform all the other laptops ont he list thanks to the higher TDP, and notebookcheck found the temperatures were quite good.

The new MSI alpha coming out will also have the RX 5600m, once it releases next month it may be a proper alternative.

IMO the dell isnt even a viable option. The heat output isnt just ludicrous, but it throttles the 5600m constantly. Performance was about the same as MSI laptops with the RX 5500m. And dell themselves no longer sell it on their website, so long term support is going to be practically nil. .
I would not buy an AMD based system from Dell period. Zero trust.

I would not buy an AMD based system from Dell period. Zero trust.
Honestly, I wouldn't buy anything from Dell regardless of specs and I am not at all surprised by the heat issues. When I was shopping for a Desktop Replacement laptop last year one of the finalists was the Alienware 51m. When I tested it out it overheated so quickly and downclocked the GPU so far anyone considering it would have been better off with any non max Q 2060. Dell fixed it later with a bios upgrade that ran the fans much faster but the main problem is they lowered the TDP of the GPU from 200 watts to 180 watts though owners have commented that Dells own monitoring software reports the 2080 never going above 170 watts.

I want a premium look and feel and more performance. None of these appeal to me like Razer (or Apple, if they still bothered with proper GPUs)

Honestly, I wouldn't buy anything from Dell regardless of specs and I am not at all surprised by the heat issues. When I was shopping for a Desktop Replacement laptop last year one of the finalists was the Alienware 51m. When I tested it out it overheated so quickly and downclocked the GPU so far anyone considering it would have been better off with any non max Q 2060. Dell fixed it later with a bios upgrade that ran the fans much faster but the main problem is they lowered the TDP of the GPU from 200 watts to 180 watts though owners have commented that Dells own monitoring software reports the 2080 never going above 170 watts.
This is the same issue the G5 SE has, the 5600m is kneecapped with an effective 80 W TDP, and even at that level it hits 100C. The 5600m should hypothetically be up to a 115 watt TDP.

The new alpha 15 looks promising. Unless the 5600m is really just a dog of a GPU, which is entirely possible, as we knew rDNA's efficiency was going to be an issue in mobile.

Its a shame consumers are in this predicament....when they really shouldn't be.....
DONT KNUCKLE UNDER......to what's being offered, just to get a ryzen 7 or ryzen 9.....
BE PATIENT......IT WILL HAPPEN....but you'll have to wait for 6-9 months....also remember the rtx 3000 series GPU's might be out in a gaming laptop by then.......dont be taken on what companies are trying to pawn off on you with these "RYZEN" gaming laptops

Its a shame consumers are in this predicament....when they really shouldn't be.....
DONT KNUCKLE UNDER......to what's being offered, just to get a ryzen 7 or ryzen 9.....
BE PATIENT......IT WILL HAPPEN....but you'll have to wait for 6-9 months....also remember the rtx 3000 series GPU's might be out in a gaming laptop by then.......dont be taken on what companies are trying to pawn off on you with these "RYZEN" gaming laptops
So in otherwords you are trying to calm yourself down too

Back