The Best Gaming Keyboards

I'm far more interested in the things that really make a difference for me between keyboards, chief among them being the keys and the layout and I've come to really like the 75% keyboard: I feel this is a very common thing after spending a few years on work laptops without number keys you get to type at ok speeds with just the numbers row and function keys for macros.

Although one feature that "gamers" hate but I just rather enjoy out of simple convenience is wireless. Bluetooth is a bit annoying to keep connected and without using too much battery but you can get one that does both bluetooth (For additional devices you might want to occasionally control) and RF wireless and RF really is almost as good as using a cable.

The whole idea of a (gaming) keyboard is dumb.
you can use a 1990s ps2 pc keyboard on ut,cod4 quake and still win no problems.
Its importance is minimal , it truly is a silly idea to call any keyboard GAMING.

Now a mouse on the other hand is a different story.
A gamer that is spending $100+ on "gaming" keyboards would say otherwise.

"Gamer Keyboard" Options:
Key switches and keycaps (cherry, kahl, topre)
Size (full, TKL, 60%)
Macros
Lower latency
Media Controls
USB passthrough
RGB

And there's the rabbit hole that is custom keyboards. There's an entire subculture on YouTube dedicated to it.
Its importance is minimal , it truly is a silly idea to call any keyboard GAMING.

N-key rollover is probably pretty important though, isn't it?

I have a Steelseries Apex pro and the little OLED screen has burn in after just over a year. Also I get it to display system info and it didn’t support Ryzen CPUs until last month (only 4 years late). None of the “apps” work really but the LEDs are mega vibrant and I swapped out the keys for pudding tops and it looks like rainbow puke 🌈.

Cherry MX Blue or nothing!!!

Its all marketing bull****, it simply comes down to what keyboard layout you like and what key switches you prefer (MX blue btw). everything else is marketing padding to tweenies and people addicted to RBG.

PSA: Macros are NOT "gaming", talk to any heavy excel user, creative media user, music production creator etc etc. they all use macros and keyboard shortcuts to streamline their workflow.

and to the person who mentioned 'latency'.. HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHaaaaa

A gamer that is spending $100+ on "gaming" keyboards would say otherwise.

"Gamer Keyboard" Options:
Key switches and keycaps (cherry, kahl, topre)
Size (full, TKL, 60%)
Macros
Lower latency
Media Controls
USB passthrough
RGB

I have not heard of kahl or topre.

I find many people think cherry means red MX switches, but research hints at browns being the in between sweet spot, which I have on my k70.
But its f'd. Corsair cheap out on their keys and they broke. Need some double shot keycaps to replace.
And as far as their rgb icue software goes, well that hasn't been looked after at all. Its dire.

End of the day its what works for you, and what's comfortable, or in your budget.

But I do like my keyboard, even if corsair are the worst. May go ducky next time. Or when I have time read through every post here to see everyone's recommendations and choose accordingly.

No mention of the Gaming Gear Champion's Bane model, probably because it's a French Keyboard... with removable Gateron switches, PBT double injection keys, aluminum base, RGB all over, including on the wrist rest, tactile multimedia keys, a metal wheel for volume control, macro programmable, USB-C connection and so on for 149 €, that makes about $175 now. It lacks the macro keys and the USB pass through, but is cheaper. I got one this week to replace my Corsair K70, and it's really cool let me tell you! You can even buy a version without switches and choose the ones you like. They even sell a lubricating kit to lubricate the switches one by one (yes, you read that correctly...) for die hard gamers! They also have what they named O-rings, which are small silicone rings that insert around the cross-shaped part under the key to damp shocks when typing, and you can choose between "hard" or "soft" ones! No other brand allows for this level of choice and customization possibilities.
See here: https://designedby.gg/

Last edited:
I have never in my life broken a keycap. Not even back when I was playing Quake 5~7 hours a day for over 5 years...Funny enough, it was mostly on Genious keyboard that was ~$10...

Really, all I want is full size with 10 Key, Mechanical, and back lit keys.
They don't have to be programmable or color changing LED, just back lit through the key cap. Yes, I may know how to type, but it's still nice for rarely used keys or others that don't know how.
USB and 3.5mm audio pass through are nice bonuses, but not required for me.

That said, I'm looking forward to getting the EVGA Z20 KB this weekend. Have already used one, and they're quite nice boards.
As a keyboard itself, I've liked my BlackWIdow Elites, but Synapse (and it's insistence that it should be installed even though I say no) can die in a car fire.

Those IBM Model M keyboards were very nice to use, looking back through nostalgia coloured glasses.

Where is the Anne Pro 2? And anything by Ducky? Or the White Ice GMMK? Or anything with Kailh Box switches.

Man I really have to disagree with this list lol

I thought I would never cave in and buy anything RGB.Well 2 months ago I bought The Corsair’s K55 RGB Pro and really love the colors you can choose I change around from all blue to the American flag which is red white and blue option.I love the extra buttons for gaming and love the media buttons which ALL SHOULD HAVE IN THIS DAY AND AGE!

The colors are endless and you don't need to install any drivers. To be honest the colors are so bright I don't use my light at night.The blue that hits off the speakers glare beautifully.

No mention of the Gaming Gear Champion's Bane model, probably because it's a French Keyboard... with removable Gateron switches, PBT double injection keys, aluminum base, RGB all over, including on the wrist rest, tactile multimedia keys, a metal wheel for volume control, macro programmable, USB-C connection and so on for 149 €, that makes about $175 now. It lacks the macro keys and the USB pass through, but is cheaper. I got one this week to replace my Corsair K70, and it's really cool let me tell you! You can even buy a version without switches and choose the ones you like. They even sell a lubricating kit to lubricate the switches one by one (yes, you read that correctly...) for die hard gamers! They also have what they named O-rings, which are small silicone rings that insert around the cross-shaped part under the key to damp shocks when typing, and you can choose between "hard" or "soft" ones! No other brand allows for this level of choice and customization possibilities.
See here: https://designedby.gg/

I love a good solid keyboard, that has great fonts/characters and excellent backlighting. I have spent thousands on keyboards and Cherry Keys are nothing new and the integrated volume bar is an obvious must today, but I still know people rock'n the old IBM Model M, so...

Lubrication and the rest of that cheese you were spewing is for gullies chasing glitz & glamour. Just so you know... real gamers don't even use a keyboard, they use a game pad & mouse.

(ie: logitech G13, Periloot Caravel, Razer Tartarus Pro, etc...)

Are you saying people playing Quake Champions are using gamepads? Don't be silly. :)
RocketJumpNinja does mouse reviews but is also a true Quake player. You wouldn't cacth him dead with a gamepad of any kind. None of that MMO gamepad stuff. Just pure skill and map awareness.

Are you saying people playing Quake Champions are using gamepads? Don't be silly. :)
RocketJumpNinja does mouse reviews but is also a true Quake player. You wouldn't cacth him dead with a gamepad of any kind. None of that MMO gamepad stuff. Just pure skill and map awareness.

hunh..?
WASD keys are NOT ergo. Keyboard Game pads are....

That is why they cost as much as keyboards, with only left hand keys. You are just not in the know....

It's a habit, you get used to it. He certainly did, so did many players on pro level. Those fancy keyboard pads with macros and stuff are targeted more towards MMO players and generaly players that will buy anything to compensate for the lack of the skill. And I doubt that it does. I am sure the manufacturers make money, but those are about as necessary as RGB for gaming.

It's a habit, you get used to it. He certainly did, so did many players on pro level. Those fancy keyboard pads with macros and stuff are targeted more towards MMO players and generaly players that will buy anything to compensate for the lack of the skill. And I doubt that it does. I am sure the manufacturers make money, but those are about as necessary as RBG for gaming.

That is your assumption.

My left hand has 37+ years of WASD gaming.

Once a tried and true gamer hands find something that does not cross their tendons. & find an ergo solution, they will never go back to using a keyboard for the left hand. They will use a special keyboard, made exactly for the left hand...

Go watch "bread man" play Warzone on twitch.. & watch his hand on the keyboard, it's insane..! ) VS watching "It's_Iron" on twitch (one of the most successful Warzone players w/ insane amounts of WR wins.), and notice the ergonomic difference... as Iron uses an ergo board for his left hand. Notice that no keys are missing, it is just half of a keyboard made for the left hand using true inverted-T movement keys w/ergo design.

Doesn't matter anyway, until 120 tick servers come for BF2042... and a new pro circuit can start. Everything else in the world is just hallway trash laners. Even Apex Legends is stale.

*btw, quake is mindless twitching, you need like 10 keys...

Last edited:
Again, they are the same keys, as on the keyboard, just ergonomically placed. And precision is the key, that is why something like the Razer Tarturas Pro, which has analog key strokes, that can register keystrokes depending on how far down you press them, using the same key.

Ergo keyboards use the exact same cherry keys, etc... they are just re-arranged so that they fit the left hand better. And yes, Pro players from all over use key-pads & mouse. It just better for long hours of gaming.

If you go watch it's Iron... you will see.

Back