The Best PC Storage: SSD, HDD, External Drives & NAS

The T5 Portable has been a hotcake and probably one of the most profitable items. Since the launch of Blackmagic P4K and P6K, nearly everyone is on that hype!! I have 3x1TB drives.

I have two gaming desktops , two gaming laptops (one is pretty old) and a Surface Go. I am retired data center tech and I just can't stop. I recently built the 2nd desktop and now I use NO hard drives anywhere just SSD except in the Synology DS218+ that works with my HDHOMERUN recording cable TV content and PC backups. It currently has a single 3 TB HD. I plan to add a second 3 TB HD for RAID 1 when I can figure out how to move all those files. The HDHOMERUN works nicely with my Fire TV to stream recorded movies, football games, etc. to my cable connected TV. Why use the HDHOMERUN when I can record content with XFINITY One? Xfinity fills up quickly where the NAS has a long way to go to get even 25% full.

It's very strange to see such an overpriced drive under the mainstream SSD section, when comparable drives such as the Sabrent Rocket (PCIe 3.0 edition) and the Inland Premium cost much less, usually around $100-130 for 1TB, depending on sale/non-sale price. The Samsung 970 Evo Plus is slightly better in benchmarks, yes, but this absolutely doesn't matter for normal consumer use and paying a $70-100 price premium is not worth it at all

Last edited:
I have not been able to destroy my Corsair GTX thumb drives and will be testing Western digital soon, but every Samsung SSD and thumb drive can be destroyed far too easily

Samsung SSD's have major firmware problems and when damaged under normal use, the damage is permanent

8XX Pro series can easily be permanently damaged to prevent a factory wipe from ever again being done

This is clearly a firmware issue!

Their thumb drives can be made unreadable and will not be seen on any computer or O.S. (ever again) after wiping any of them to remove a Win2USB Operating System (same damage to Multiple Samsung thumb drives)

This is a major problem that cannot be fixed under warranty due to the fact that you will simply receive another defective drive

Is this OCZ levels of incompetence and denial ?

Are they the 737 Max of SSD's ?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Until we get to the bottom of this problem, and should you choose to accept that there is a problem, I will never buy another Samsung anything

Good luck Mr Phelps
This disk will self destruct in 5 seconds!

I would love to see a proper thumb drive list too. Most of the reviews and lists I found online just didn't help me much. It took me a very long time to find out which are ok or not to buy (I recently bought an 128GB SanDisk Extreme PRO).

I would love to see a proper thumb drive list too. Most of the reviews and lists I found online just didn't help me much. It took me a very long time to find out which are ok or not to buy (I recently bought an 128GB SanDisk Extreme PRO).

I found "consistency over time" problems with Sandisk Extreme Pro thumb drives

Out of 3 identical thumb drives, one is just as fast as the day I bought it, one is just OK speedwise, and one is incredibly slow compared to the others

For about $5 more, Corsair GTX thumb drives are much faster, consistent over time, are listed as fixed disk so they are Windows2Go compatible, and have have Trim support

I have torture tested all my SSD's and thumb drives to see which ones fail and which ones I can trust

For the price, Corsair is the best you can get today

Tommorow.....We'll see!

I just bought an internal Samsung - 860 EVO 1TB for $110. How are any their top SSDs a better buy than the EVO? (I wanted the T5 portable, but for the price difference I decided on the EVO 1TB internal, and later will add a 8TB HDD External for a backup drive. )

Last edited:
Why is an external 8 TB Seagate HDD $10.00 cheaper than a Seagate 8 TB internal drive? Why not just take the drive out of the enclosure and save $$ and have the enclosure to use for another drive? I have tried to find out on Seagate's site to see the specs on the external drive but its not listed but it seems it must be the same. It doesn't make sense to me.

It's very strange to see such an overpriced drive under the mainstream SSD section, when comparable drives such as the Sabrent Rocket (PCIe 3.0 edition) and the Inland Premium cost much less, usually around $100-130 for 1TB, depending on sale/non-sale price. The Samsung 970 Evo Plus is slightly better in benchmarks, yes, but this absolutely doesn't matter for normal consumer use and paying a $70-100 price premium is not worth it at all
The price difference makes for a nice advertising budget.

Though I have a Seagate external. I have 1/2 dozen or more failed Seagate drives .more than any other brand I've ever used,I would like to see how you came too such conclusions.not by failure rates.

I just bought an internal Samsung - 860 EVO 1TB for $110. How are any their top SSDs a better buy than the EVO? (I wanted the T5 portable, but for the price difference I decided on the EVO 1TB internal, and later will add a 8TB HDD External for a backup drive. )
Internal and portable drives are two different animals for two very distinct usage scenarios. Anyway, the 860 Evo you bought is pretty good. Anything more expensive/faster is NVMe based. TechSpot recently published such a comparison (that includes the 860 Evo) to see the difference between SATA and the latest NVMe drives:

In short: NVMe drives can be twice as fast (or more) than your 860 Evo, in theory. For regular desktop use, your drive is pretty fast.

PS: Whoever said SSDs are unreliable because they can fail after torture testing them by defragging is just bananas :bomb:

AnilD says
PS: Whoever said SSDs are unreliable because they can fail after torture testing them by defragging is just bananas
----------------------------------------
Did anyone ever say that?

I torture test every brand and have never had a single failure due to defragging

I've never had a failure due to wiping the entire drive with Killdisk either

2 Samsung Fit Plus thumbdrives malfunctioned and are now unusable when running Killdisk on less than 1% of the entire drive, but the flash memory was not destroyed by this process

I know this because both thumb drives could successfully run Killdisk for more than 1% of the entire drive

I ran Killdisk to 5% / 10% and over the entire drive successfully
They only fail when running Killdisk to less than 1%

This is not a nand issue but likely a firmware or firmware/cache issue

Since 2012, I've wiped a cheap 8GB Toshiba Nand thumb drive over 500 times using Killdisk and it still works fine

Tech sites that tell you that you will ruin the flash cells by wiping with Killdisk or defragging are full of crap and have never tested that theory themselves

Most failures come from buggy firmware

Last edited:
Why is an external 8 TB Seagate HDD $10.00 cheaper than a Seagate 8 TB internal drive? Why not just take the drive out of the enclosure and save $$ and have the enclosure to use for another drive? I have tried to find out on Seagate's site to see the specs on the external drive but its not listed but it seems it must be the same. It doesn't make sense to me.

If the hard drive has a USB controller on it instead of a SATA controller is one reason

Another reason would be that external USB drives are 5400RPM and have a smaller cache than the internal 7200RPM drive that costs $10 more

In general, the Top Samsung drives are not better for the average user

Top Samsung MLC drives are better in that you will never lose data due to a power outage because they maintain their consistently stupid fast speed without using caching software that is used with the EVO to maintain it's speed

MLC drives should also last longer than TLC

Good to see Samsung has some serious competition from Toshiba, at last.
Everything I've ever owned by Toshiba broke/

Most annoying was the stand alone DVD burner, which I managed to get maybe 100 discs out of, before it started to blame the discs, They worked just fine n something else

I found "consistency over time" problems with Sandisk Extreme Pro thumb drives

Out of 3 identical thumb drives, one is just as fast as the day I bought it, one is just OK speedwise, and one is incredibly slow compared to the others

For about $5 more, Corsair GTX thumb drives are much faster, consistent over time, are listed as fixed disk so they are Windows2Go compatible, and have have Trim support

I have torture tested all my SSD's and thumb drives to see which ones fail and which ones I can trust

For the price, Corsair is the best you can get today

Tommorow.....We'll see!
Most reviews were ok for the Sandisk and it is better priced where I live ($58 vs $77). It seems the Corsair has a full SSD controller on it which helps with sequential operations, but I doubt I'll need to work directly off of it. For regular read/write operations they're fairly similar.

I'll see if I encounter performance degradation like you did over time. If I do then I'll just avoid it and buy something better. Thanks for the advice.

Most reviews were ok for the Sandisk and it is better priced where I live ($58 vs $77). It seems the Corsair has a full SSD controller on it which helps with sequential operations, but I doubt I'll need to work directly off of it. For regular read/write operations they're fairly similar.

I'll see if I encounter performance degradation like you did over time. If I do then I'll just avoid it and buy something better. Thanks for the advice.

I haven't tested the Patriot Supersonic Elite yet, but if you don't need the insane random read/write performance of the Corsair GTX, then the Patriot "should" be fine for simple file transfers

TODAYS PRICES:

Patriot Supersonic Elite
128GB is $22.99 @ Newegg
256GB is $37.99 @ Newegg

Sandisk Extreme "Go" 128GB is $31.92 @ Newegg
Sandisk Extreme "Pro" 128GB is $44.85 @ Newegg

Corsair Voyager GTX 128GB is $50.99 @ Newegg

I haven't tested the Patriot Supersonic Elite yet, but if you don't need the insane random read/write performance of the Corsair GTX, then the Patriot "should" be fine for simple file transfers

TODAYS PRICES:

Patriot Supersonic Elite
128GB is $22.99 @ Newegg
256GB is $37.99 @ Newegg

Sandisk Extreme "Go" 128GB is $31.92 @ Newegg
Sandisk Extreme "Pro" 128GB is $44.85 @ Newegg

Corsair Voyager GTX 128GB is $50.99 @ Newegg
I'm in the EU so I pay with VAT included and base prices are a bit higher. But that 128GB Patriot drive is a really good deal even in my region (~28$), thanks for the tip. It's really cheap.

BTW have you ever used a Kingston HyperX Savage? The price is similar or a bit more expensive than the Corsair Voyager GTX.

I'm in the EU so I pay with VAT included and base prices are a bit higher. But that 128GB Patriot drive is a really good deal even in my region (~28$), thanks for the tip. It's really cheap.

BTW have you ever used a Kingston HyperX Savage? The price is similar or a bit more expensive than the Corsair Voyager GTX.

I will most likely never try the hyperX Savage

It is an older drive, bigger than the Patriot, uglier as well and costs way too much for what it supposedly delivers

Back