The holy grail: getting rid of whatever wants to install Roxio Media Manager

john clinton

Hi geniuses, who have been so kind to me under another name, I wonder if one of you can help me.

some evil thing causes something to try to install roxio media manager on my computer.
is there anyway that I can stop that and get rid of whatever it is?

something to try to install roxio media manager
so that implies that at least you're getting a prompt to authorize?

What OS version/edition/sp level are you using?
What Browser/version
What extensions & add-ons are enabled?

Thanks so much for taking time and trouble to reply to me.

sorry, I forgot about that, OS:windows XP.

various researches on the internet have shown me that some companies tack on roxio to their product software, eg HP and blackberry but it seems that I am not alone in cursing roxio for infecting my computer.
it seems to be impossible to track down where roxio lives and remove it short of re-installing XP, hence the reference to the holy grail and roxio themselves make very sure that they cannot be contacted. ccclener uninstaller can find roxio mmedia player but not remove it for want of something called a certificate; these arcane things a way beyond a bear of very little brain.I'm beginning to think roxio get their kicks out of annoying people.
I know find that when it starts annoying me that I can use task manager to find its process and end what is called its tree, whtever that is and then I hear no more of it until I reboot. because roxio stuff is bolted onto other software their support bit hides behind an order number screen, and there is, of course, and never was an order from the end-user.

I don't see how which browser-in my case firefox , comes into it. roxio is a pin in the arse when no browser is running. it starts its evil monkey business long before I get as far as browsing.

I'm by no means a lone sufferer as googling roxio tries to install media manager will quickly show.

I've already bought and paid for perfect uninstaller which does not list roxio as available to be uninstalled. is revo expensive?

Turns out it's not really free just one of those 30 day come-ons. I've learned that those things are never really free. when they say they are it's a con

Turns out it's not really free just one of those 30 day come-ons. I've learned that those things are never really free. when they say they are it's a con
If you're talking about the link I gave you, I know factually it is not a 30 day freebie because I've had it for months & still use it. Have a great evening :)

Well, my next suggestion would be to click Start>Search>Files & Folders type in Roxio & search in My Computer. Good luck.:)

I've tried searching all files and folders for roxio but it can't find it. the key question is what is trying to install roxio media manager? is there any way to find out and tell it not to?
I'm beginning to HATE roxio and it seems that I am not alone.

When and how often are you prompted to install Roxio?
> Does it happen shortly after Windows startups up?
> Each time after you logon?
> Periodically during each of your logon sessions? And if so, does it seem to happen after you start something else? or do something in particular?

As soon as the computer starts up it says 'windows installer and then it says can't find certificate file and then G: is not a valid drive.

I don't have a G: drive; we think it may be a virtual drive invented either by roxio or whatever wants to install it.

I don't want to, and can't afford to wipe my c:drive just to get rid of the evil roxio.

in my amiga days thre was ann amiga program that let you see what was doing what in real time, but windows PCs are not as good as miggies. if someone could write something like that they would be doing the world a big favour.

I don't get propted to do anything it just goes ahead and does it until it all goes pear shaped and as soon as the installer thing starts I end the whole process tree which shuts it up until I reboot. my aim is to stop it getting as far as installing roxio, or trying to an failing. I...HATE... ROXIO with a vengeance. and I am not alone.I have a blackberry and I know the blackberry desktop manger has roxio bolted on. the problem is that RIM don't :)know how evil roxio is. :( other people get the roxio disease through HP software it seems, going by the growls on the internet. plainly roxio know that the windows registry is a haystack and cunningly hide their evil needle in it. I'm fully aware that my obsession is making me psychotic :). it's easy enough to stop the process tree so I should just calm down and get a sense of scale and proportion. on a scale of importance from one to ten with despair on one and death on ten, it's right down there with a bit of a cough.so I'm irritated by rxio-so what?

[FONT=Arial]Download Autoruns. Then double click autoruns.exe to run it[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]> Wait till status in lower left corner says Ready[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]> Click File->Save, save to your Desktop with its default filename AutoRuns Data (*.am)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]> Now go to your Desktop and change the file extenstion to .txt (AutoRuns Data.txt)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]> Now you can upload the file to your next TechSpot post[/FONT]

Yea. Computers can be frustrating (click thumbnail)
Hit Any Duck.JPG

/* EDIT */
I fixed the download link

If you click it takes you to its web page and you read in more detail. It will show me everything thats starts when you boot and logon.
This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys.

Thanks this is awfully decent of you; I'll give it a go tomorrow on my big PC, the infected one. I'm using my laptop in the bedroom just now; I'm lucky to have two computers, I mostly use the big one, which is old and can be temperamental at times, but I'm used to it.

It sounds like just what I need.

you are being a real star, blessings be upon you.

Slight problem:I'm old and crippled and my eyesight is not so good, I can't see anything that says autoruns data

I could do a search, what should I search for? I get a rectangle with tiny writing in it which I can't read or make any sense of

I found it and renamed it as you said but it won't let me upload it, nor can I change the name as I save it.maybe I'm doomed.

Good work! You just beat me to the post.:)
It was my error. The other file format created a file that was too big to upload to TechSpot. I will look at the txt file you attached. But also, do you know how to create a zip file with XP?

If you right click the AutoRuns.arn data file then select SendTo->Compressed (zipped). It should create a AutoRuns.zip file. That should be small enough to also upload. If you can't get it to work, no worries.

/* Edit */
Never mind about the zip file. I'll just look at the .txt file

Back