The Hyperloop team is adding partners, making design progress

David Tom

hyperloop elon musk transportation space x ansys glocal

Hyperloop, the high-speed transportation method proposed by Elon Musk, is quickly progressing from a theoretical concept to a realistic design. According to Forbes, the development team behind the project has already entered into partnerships with multiple organizations. The current goal is to create a small-scale prototype of the design at some point next year.

In order to meet this ambitious goal, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies Inc. has between 30 and 50 people actively working on developing and tweaking the design; with several exchanging their time for nothing but equity in the company.

Dr. Marco Villa, one of the major players behind the effort, added, “I stopped counting my hours a long time ago. A lot of the people that replied are willing to spend whatever they need on this, driven by the passion of doing this. We have a pretty significant amount of people willing to do this full time: doctorates, masters, professionals around the world.”

The internal team has broken the project into smaller, more sizeable pieces. Some individuals are working on capsule design, while others are evaluating the project’s environmental impact, or working on the manufacturing process behind the transportation tubes. For a project of this magnitude (an estimated $6 billion), the amount of work needed to accomplish is nothing short of tremendous.

As of right now, a proof of concept has been completed. Ansys, an engineering simulation software developer, has already done a virtual run-through of Musk’s vision. Ansys explained that the design will work in theory; however, there are several adjustments that still need to be made. Villa went on to say, “We have proof that this could be done. But we have to get to ‘how it can be done,’ start tackling the big questions.”

In addition to Ansys, GloCal Network Corporation will provide the Hyperloop team with expertise in the realm of materials and processes. In the past, GloCal has helped Boeing with material design challenges, and its work has been featured on the Boeing 787. Furthermore, UCLA’s Architecture and Urban Design program is also pitching in by helping to find the ideal places for station construction.

The crowd-sourced team intends to finish a new white paper on the design by next spring; prototype construction should commence shortly after.

Permalink to story.

Even if it doesn't result in what was envisioned, I suspect that the lessons learned will become invaluable for similar ideas.

$6 billion?! Geez, haven't they ever heard of an incremental project. We didn't just decide to fly to the moon one day you know, it was Apollo 11, not Apollo 1 or 2. Maybe they should start with a smaller hyperloop that connects LA and SD, which are pretty close. Then they can work up to the super fast giant one they've been talking about.

I really hope this becomes reality as well; with the pace Musk is accomplishing his goals/dreams, I want to one day proudly say that I lived in the time of Musk. Been sick of hearing about empty promises and prototypes from "visionaries" in years past that amounted to nothing. I would have called Musk's visions a bluff as well if it wasn't for his paypal, spacex, tesla, etc.

$6 billion?! Geez, haven't they ever heard of an incremental project.
Just exactly how are they going to incrementally create a large vacuum tube that propels a human size capsule at speeds of a bullet? Do you think the tube stretched from city to city would pull a vacuum if it wasn't near completion? I can only imagine what construction losses would be, if they hadn't spent this time planning.

Guest said:
I really hope this becomes reality as well; with the pace Musk is accomplishing his goals/dreams, I want to one day proudly say that I lived in the time of Musk. Been sick of hearing about empty promises and prototypes from "visionaries" in years past that amounted to nothing. I would have called Musk's visions a bluff as well if it wasn't for his paypal, spacex, tesla, etc.
It seems like none of the his ideas gives me any profit. PayPal profits Ebay, spacex profits if you have 20 million on cash, Tesla profits Tesla (100 grand cars) .None the ideas nothing about visionary and profit and improves average peoples life.
You want real "visionaries" then challenge is find out most economic way to get ocean water to drinkable, or use for agriculture and maybe get %100 electric conversion from a solar panel a good source of energy profits every human being in this planet. Everybody can be visionary but I think important thing is priority.

Just exactly how are they going to incrementally create a large vacuum tube that propels a human size capsule at speeds of a bullet? Do you think the tube stretched from city to city would pull a vacuum if it wasn't near completion? I can only imagine what construction losses would be, if they hadn't spent this time planning.

By not making it travel at the speeds of a bullet from city to city. They're not going to make this thing a closed $6 billion system. I'm sure they'll be able to connect more tube onto the end of it like a railroad track. Why don't they make a short section of it to connect something close together that requires fast and frequent trips, like connecting airport terminals or parking lots. I know the whole point is to connect cities, but it's a pretty big expensive risk if something goes wrong.

I think the costs have been seriously underestimated. It is coming in at a fraction of the cost of a traditional high speed rail link. However I doubt if the Hyperlink will be cheaper to build after all many engineering issues that cost a fortune on traditional railway projects such as tunnels and bridges will still cost a fortune.

This project will not cost $6 billion. No mass transit system ever hits the projected cost and almost always exceeds it by several orders of magnitude.

Why are Americans so in love with mass transit anyway?

So some one is only a visionary if their work directly makes your life better? Well I guess science is wrong and the universe revolves directly around you. Paypal changed how we pay online and made it convenient and safe(hey applies to you), Tesla has turned the automobile industry on its head by proving that electric cars are more than just a toy, and space x is rethinking what we know about rocket science by drastically reducing costs and being a world leader in making the first stage of a rocket recoverable.

Hi if anyone is interested I have posted a video of my "hyperloop -like" invention on you tube. It can be viewed by googling AIR SLEDD (spelled with two D's). It accomplishes the same goals of the hyperloop (high speed craft riding on a cushion of compressed air) but without all the engineering complexity! Spread the word and pass it on.

If you want to profit for Musk's idea's invest in one of his companies. Grant it SpaceX requires high capital but Tesla and Solar City are publicly traded and rising fast because of their visionary leader...

I have investigated air bearing technologies about 3years ago, and found it to be a dead end mostly because of the extremely small air gap tolerance between the vehicle and tube are far to small to maintain on a high speed vehicle over long distances. If any of the supporting structure shifts or settles as it inevitabely does in any construction, suddenly you will have an oval tube rather than a perfectly round one. A simpler cheaper and working solution is the "air sledd" which is essentially a self-lubricating/self-stabilising "air bearing" similar to the "japanese aero train"

Back