The Last of Us II dominated the competition at The Game Awards Show

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Why it matters: This year the sixth annual Game Awards Show just happened to coincide with the launch of Cyberpunk 2077. While CD Projekt Red's epic RPG may end up being the biggest game released in 2020, it was just a bit too late to score a nomination.

The Last of Us Part II ended up as top dog at this year's Game Awards, winning seven of its 10 nominations, including Game of the Year. No other game came even close to taking home that many awards. Second place in award count was a three-way tie between Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Hades, and Among Us with two awards each.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake won Best Score and Music and Best RPG. Hades took home both the Best Indie Game and Best Action Game awards. Among Us snagged victories for the Best Mobile Game and Best Multiplayer Game.

It is also worth mentioning the four-year-old title No Man's Sky beat out Apex Legends, Destiny 2, Call of Duty: WarZone, and Fortnite for the Best Ongoing Game. Hello Games truly deserved this recognition as it has labored for the last four years to turn a dumpster fire into an experience worthy of hundreds of hours of gameplay. No Man's Skay was also recognized with a nomination for Best Community Support but lost the trophy to Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout.

If you're itching to know the rest of the winner's, we have recapped them below, or if you prefer, You can watch the show in-full above.

The Game Awards 2020 Winners

• Game of the Year — The Last of Us Part II
  • Best Game Direction — The Last of Us Part II
  • Best Narrative — The Last of Us Part II
  • Best Art Direction — Ghost of Tsushima
  • Best Score And Music — Fantasy Fantasy 7 Remake
  • Best Audio Design — The Last of Us Part II
  • Best Performance — Laura Bailey as Abby, The Last of Us Part II
  • Games For Impact — Tell Me Why
  • Best Ongoing — No Man's Sky
  • Best Indie Game — Hades
  • Best Mobile Game — Among Us
  • Best Community Support — Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  • Innovation in Accessibility — The Last of Us Part II
  • Best VR/AR Game — Half-Life Alyx
  • Best Action Game — Hades
  • Best Action/Adventure Game — The Last of Us Part II
  • Best Role-Playing Game — Fantasy Fantasy 7 Remake
  • Best Fighting Game — Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
  • Best Family Game — Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Best Sim/Strategy Game — Microsoft Flight Simulator Best Sports/Racing Game — Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2
  • Best Multiplayer Game — Among Us
  • Best Debut Indie Game — Phasmophobia
  • Content Creator of the Year — Valkyrae
  • Best Esports Game — League of Legends
  • Best Esports Athlete — Heo "Showmaker" Su / League of Legends
  • Best Esports Team — G2 Esports / League of Legends
  • Best Esports Event — League of Legends World Championship 2020
  • Best Esports Host — Eefje “Sjokz” Depoortere

Those are your Game Awards winners for 2020. It will be interesting to see what 2021 holds. Although it's way too early to predict, chances are good that Cyberpunk 2077 will be a top contender.

Permalink to story.

At first I was going to say, "I don't believe that for a second, gameplay was mediocre and the story was full of social justice propaganda" but then I looked at the other trash that's been coming out the last few years and thought, "I guess it's as good as any choice...."

I still think the only reason people liked that game was of the liberal propaganda and I say as someone slightly left of center. Let's call them the "alt-left"

"Hades" is where it's at, my friends. Play it now. Thank me later.
Actually, I'll thank you now and play it later:
"Thank you, I'll download it tonight!"
Well deserved win. All those games are very good anyway, but tlou was most complete title.
Still hades and got are great fun.
I'll have to check out "The Last of Us" as well, it sure sounds great. I wonder why I haven't heard of it before. Maybe I've been too wrapped up in Godfall and waiting with baited breath for Far Cry 6. I'm going to wait a couple of months to play Cyberpunk 2077 because a massive game like that will have massive bugs in the beginning and FC6 may be the same. Hades and TLOU sound great right now. Cheers! :D

The last of us didn't force anything onto you or anybody else, it's a freaking single player game with it's own narrative. Just like there are books that you won't like, there are also games that you won't like.

Also, the majority consider the story in TLOU to be amazing and, while a bit more divisive, TLOU2 is definitely no slouch.

The last of us didn't force anything onto you or anybody else, it's a freaking single player game with it's own narrative. Just like there are books that you won't like, there are also games that you won't like.

Also, the majority consider the story in TLOU to be amazing and, while a bit more divisive, TLOU2 is definitely no slouch.
I was referring to the second one, I thoroughly enjoyed the first. Sorry for not being more clear on that

Meh The Last of us 2 deserved maybe 3 of those awards...
And def. Not narrative from an academic prospective it was trash in the purist form, more like it was written on a high school fan fiction novel level and not something a college graduate that took a writing course would ever put out.
I would gladly give it though to Ashley Johnson and Laura Bailey for their fantastic performances and the team for sound design.
Graphically speaking it was nice despite a couple glitches.
Everything else it winning is pure BS, it was an average game a 7/10 on the scale certainly no masterpiece as media made it out to be.
When is 2020 you end up promoting a jump button well that is fail.

Meh The Last of us 2 deserved maybe 3 of those awards...
And def. Not narrative from an academic prospective it was trash in the purist form, more like it was written on a high school fan fiction novel level and not something a college graduate that took a writing course would ever put out.
I would gladly give it though to Ashley Johnson and Laura Bailey for their fantastic performances and the team for sound design.
Graphically speaking it was nice despite a couple glitches.
Everything else it winning is pure BS, it was an average game a 7/10 on the scale certainly no masterpiece as media made it out to be.
When is 2020 you end up promoting a jump button well that is fail.
Agree. The first TLOU I was riveted from the beginning to the story and could not stop playing. TLOUP2, not so much. I still have not even completed the game, in fact. The story failed to hold my interest and the main characters' relationship felt forced, unlike TLOU.

In the first game, I was had from go. Joel's relationship with his daughter in the opening of the game was very organic and I cared about both characters nearly immediately. In fact, [SPOILER ALERT] when Sarah died, I got pretty choked up--and this was only 15 minutes into the game. The writing had made an immediate emotional connection (at least for me). This even played out later when Joel is burdened with toting Ellie across the country. Since I already had a strong emotional connection with Joel thanks to the intro, I felt his feelings during the development of his relationship with Ellie--annoyance, concern, and eventually a sort of love. And it kept me wanting to know what happens next.

I didn't get this with TLOUP2. Maybe it's just because I had an easier time relating to a middle-aged man as the main character than I do relating to a 20-something girl, but I don't think that's it because even playing the TLOU DLC, playing Ellie as the main character, I cared about what happened. The beginning of Part 2 just seemed like a slog. The writers really didn't give me a reason (other than playing) to give a crap about the new and slightly older Ellie. They also failed to move me with the emotional interactions between Ellie and Abby. I just didn't care. Your description calling it, "high school fanfiction" really struck me. YES! That is exactly how I felt about the story.

I will probably (maybe) eventually get around to finishing it, but I don't feel compelled by anything other than my desire to take care of unfinished business, but I'm not 100% sure that that is even enough for me to pick up the game again.

Back