Posts: 8,803 +1,705
Our yearly recap has been split in a few different sections. The top 10 most popular news stories, the most read longform features and reviews we published in 2019, the most commented news and top 5 most viewed 'The Best' buying guides are all below...
Top 10 News Stories of 2019
The platform wants to keep the users from becoming the product
Hardly anyone would say that social media is good for you, yet billions use it in one form or another (often concurrently) every single day. These platforms make billions of dollars by addicting users and getting them to click ads. One Wikipedia co-founder wants to change that with a new social media site that is supported by the users rather than big advertisers.
Project Silica aims to provide a cheaper, higher quality alternative for preserving digital content in the long-term
Data storage and archiving technologies are areas of particular interest for companies like Warner Bros., where a significant chunk of the world's entertainment media is produced and archived. To help with preserving this film and television content, Warner Bros. and Microsoft collaborated to give a first proof of concept test for Project Silica, a Microsoft Research project that uses laser optics and AI to store data in quartz glass.
Flagship Core i9-10900K is incoming
Intel is offering an appealing upgrade with their tenth generation of mainstream processors. Every CPU now has hyperthreading, and every CPU is getting a 100-200 MHz speed bump over its predecessor. The flagship i9-10900K is also getting two extra cores and a new boost mode that can push speeds up to 5.3 GHz.
'123456' is number one, again
It’s that time of year again when we look back at the year’s worst passwords and realize why so many internet users get hacked. For the sixth year in a row, the top spot is taken by the inspirational ‘123456’ while ‘123456789’ is at number two.
And they're $120 cheaper
Samsung or Apple? It’s a question that consumers have argued over for years—and it’s not just about their phones. The companies make other competing products, including wireless earphones. And according to Consumer Reports, the Korean company’s offering is better.
"If you looked at it casually, you thought you were looking at a live-action set"
The Mandalorian, a Disney+ exclusive, is the first-ever live-action Star Wars television series in the history of the franchise. It is also the first production of the property that uses Epic’s Unreal Engine.
Tesla increases Supercharging prices to the point that gas might be cheaper (Update: Tesla takes a step back)
A global price hike means it can cost more than $35 to charge your Tesla
Buyers of electric vehicles need to consider that inflated charging prices could make road trips in a Tesla more expensive than driving a traditional gas vehicle. Despite claims of great savings, Tesla's rising Supercharging station prices are killing the alleged savings.
Parallel universe for the super security conscious
With growing concerns over online privacy and securing personal data, more people than ever are considering alternatives to Google products. After all, Google’s business model essentially revolves around data collection and advertisements, both of which infringe on your privacy.
Zen 3 could be a bigger upgrade than Zen 2
AMD declared war on Intel with the launch of Ryzen, forcing both companies to rapidly bring their respective strengths of core count and frequency as close to their immediate limits as possible. With Intel seemingly unable to squeeze past 5 GHz without developing a new node, and AMD waiting for software to catch up before adding more cores, the present battleground is in IPC (instructions per clock). And Zen 3 is reported to be doing admirably thus far, with improvements approaching 20%.
The app will allow the public shaming of "deadbeat debtors"
The Chinese Government has developed a mobile app that tells users if they are near someone who is in debt. The app, called a "map of deadbeat debtors," flashes when the user is within 500 meters of a debtor and displays that person's exact location.
Top 10 TechSpot Features of 2019
Ryzen 5 3600 vs. Core i5-9600K is a no contest
Best High-end 1440p GPU
How Well Does It Work?
Hint: You might not have to...
Testing the Once Mighty $650 GeForce Flagship
36 Game Test vs. Vega 56, GTX 1070 Ti, RTX 2070 & More
TN vs. VA vs. IPS: What's the Difference?
Deleting duplicate files on your system could easily result in a sizable clean out
CPUs for Laptops
Top 5 Buying Guides
The best motherboards for building a Ryzen machine on a budget
What's the best graphics card for your budget?
Since our last update new CPUs have hit the market from both sides, though AMD still dominates our recommendations
If you've never played some of these, be assured that they're all worth your time.
The best motherboards for your high-end gaming rig
Most Commented Stories
- FDA: If youth e-cigarette use doesn't decline, it will be banned 164 comments
- Ryzen 5 3600 annihilates the 2600 in leaked benchmarks 153 comments
- AMD announces Ryzen 9 3900X flagship desktop CPU, Ryzen 7 3800X, more 147 comments
- Study blames YouTube for spread of Flat Earth movement 133 comments
- June Steam hardware survey: AMD losing CPU share to Intel, Windows 10 cements top OS spot 132 comments
- Game of Thrones cinematographer says it's your fault The Long Night was too dark 110 comments
- AMD introduces 16-core Ryzen 9 3950X CPU, two Navi Radeon RX 5700 GPUs at E3 2019 107 comments
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 benchmarked early, shows performance barely slower than Intel i9-9900K 94 comments
- So much for RTX: Crytek reveals real-time ray tracing demo for AMD and Nvidia hardware 82 comments
- Deadly vaping-related lung disease claims the lives of four Americans (updated) 77 comments
- Trump's cybersecurity advisor had his iPhone erased after entering the wrong password 77 comments
- AMD cutting deeply into Intel's market share across desktop, mobile, and server segments 75 comments
- Microsoft's latest fix for Windows 10 breaks something else 75 comments
- More people started using Windows 7 last month 69 comments
- Samsung calls it quits on 4K Blu-ray players 69 comments