The Witcher 3 coming out on PC, Xbox One and PS4 only

Russ Boswell

Cross generation games take a lot more effort and resources than one would assume. Sure, there are a lot of successful titles that have done it, just look at Battlefield 4 (minus the bugs) and Call of Duty: Ghosts as current examples. But some developers are growing frustrated with this practice. Such is the case of CD Projekt Red, developers of the upcoming action role-playing hack and slash title The Witcher 3. 

CDPR isn't interested in porting their latest fantasy epic onto Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It's nothing against all you previous-gen gamers, and the developer isn't taking a shot at your hardware of choice. It simply boils down to the sheer complexity of their game. According to The Witcher 3's story writer, Jakub Szamalek, the game is just too complex to port to older hardware, and would require a lot of additional resources and team members. In a recent interview with Connected Digital World, Szamalek spoke the following about the group's decision:

“Well we are afraid that the game we are creating is just too huge, too detailed to put on the current generation consoles. We didn’t want to compromise the quality of the game to get the size we wanted. This is why we are really excited that our work with “The Witcher 3” coincided with this new generation because we can finally create a world which is the size we wanted to be with the level of detail and care put into “The Witcher 2.” So the world of “The Witcher 3” will be much bigger but it will be just as beautiful and as carefully crafted as “The Witcher 2.”

Although this will come as bad news for some, it's refreshing to see a company that is much more dedicated to unveiling a quality product than porting something to multiple platforms in the hopes of raking in some extra cash. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has noticed that part of the gaming world seems interested primarily in hoarding money, whether by targeting all platforms, releasing "same old same old" sequels for popular franchises or charging outrageous sums for tiny amounts of DLC content.

CDPR's firm stance on releasing The Witcher 3 for PC, Xbox One, and PS4 only is a welcome statement to the gaming community that they would rather astonish and amaze with sheer gaming quality, rather than quantity. Now let's just hope they are able to live up to those expectations come launch day.

Permalink to story.

I don't have a problem with this. It is a new game meant for a new platform. If it is more than the older platform can handle, well thats the downside to all machines. One day, which is inevitable, games will no longer be supported on older hardware.

To the future! :cheers: :drinkup:

All I want to know is - if I hated the combat in #1, will I hate it in #2? And will #3 improve..?

CD Projekt reminds me of the older PC game developers in the 90's and early 00's. Always trying to produce the best product possible and you can clearly see they are passionate about what they do and what sort of product they produce. The Witcher series is a day one buy for me (PC of course).

Wish it were pc only then we could have seen this game really shine. Just cut out the consoles completely there is no way possible that the ps4 and xbone are not holding back what could be. Consoles steadily ruining the gaming industry. Consoles are the reason why gaming tech is held back so much as it is. Let's stop with multi platform games and just focus on 1. This is when the games will really begin to shine. Come on game devs go pc only and leave the old outdated co soles to die in there own filth.

Consoles steadily ruining the gaming industry.
Wish you guys would stop saying that. I hate consoles and would never own one again, because I don't have a personal desire to have one. In no shape form or fashion are consoles ruining the gaming industry. Gaming will survive regardless of potential hold-backs. Sure it is disappointing that consoles maybe the "de facto" standard of which games are created. But that is not ruining the passion that so many players have for the event of playing games.

Wish you guys would stop saying that. I hate consoles and would never own one again, because I don't have a personal desire to have one. In no shape form or fashion are consoles ruining the gaming industry. Gaming will survive regardless of potential hold-backs. Sure it is disappointing that consoles maybe the "de facto" standard of which games are created. But that is not ruining the passion that so many players have for the event of playing games.

Makes no sense at all these consoles bring nothing revolutionary to the table, with the exception of rumble triggers. If the consoles died the devs would all be aboard the same ship bringing massive games with the best quality, stories, graphics available and every game would be highly supported. When having to juggle between making a game for 3 different platforms it kills those chances. Also there would be no more exclusives crap everyone would have the ability to play the same games TOGETHER in one community. So please tell me more about how consoles are helping and not hindering?

So please tell me more about how consoles are helping and not hindering?
I didn't say consoles were helping and not hindering the evolution of games. I said consoles were not ruining the gaming industry.

ruining
  1. Total destruction or disintegration, either physical, moral, social, or economic.
  2. A cause of total destruction.
    1. The act of destroying totally.
    2. A destroyed person, object, or building.
  3. The remains of something destroyed, disintegrated, or decayed.

Well its causing the industry to slow down I'm sorry I used the wrong word there. How much would you charge to follow my comments around the web to ensure I don't use the wrong word again? If all that you took from my comment was a single word please go / wrists.

If you hated combat in #1 St1ckM4n, then you'll be really happy with how combat turned out in #2

Well its causing the industry to slow down I'm sorry I used the wrong word there. How much would you charge to follow my comments around the web to ensure I don't use the wrong word again? If all that you took from my comment was a single word please go / wrists.

Gaming would be nowhere today if it weren't for consoles. A PC just hasn't been able to penetrate the masses for gaming like consoles have.

To all those who say that consoles slow down industry - do you really believe that games would be better today if consoles didn't exist? Think about that for a minute.

To all those who say that consoles slow down industry - do you really believe that games would be better today if consoles didn't exist? Think about that for a minute.
With consoles being the beginning, I'm not going to say if consoles didn't exist. I will say consoles have a negative impact on game innovation. I wouldn't say that if it wasn't for all the future advancements, that will not be included or enhanced for several more years with consoles.

You are looking at it from the wrong angle. Consoles would not be where they are today without the PC. PC gaming is a huge aspect in the driving force behind PC innovation. Without this driving force, we would probably still be playing the SNES and first gen PlayStation. Forget about the XBox, I'm not even sure it would have been invented.

I'm not a console defender, I game on both pc and consoles and enjoy the diversity that it provides, I don't give a rat's asz about platform, but I'm sick of pc elitists who say that consoles hinder the industry and then go and play their indie platformers that could be run on Pentium 2.

Regardless of being a PC or console gamer, consoles are where the money's at for the developers and I'm pleased they haven't forsaken the PC altogether.

I'm not a console defender, I game on both pc and consoles and enjoy the diversity that it provides, I don't give a rat's asz about platform, but I'm sick of pc elitists who say that consoles hinder the industry and then go and play their indie platformers that could be run on Pentium 2.

That's better than the console elitists who say the same and go and play the same game on a console :)

but I'm sick of pc elitists who say that consoles hinder the industry and then go and play their indie platformers that could be run on Pentium 2.

Interesting statement. None of the games I personally am "elitist" about are games of that nature. In fact, if someone is a PC elitist they probably play games such as The Witcher, TES (overall, not just Skyrim), BF, CS:GO/CS:S, Crysis, DOTA/LoL/HoN, etc...

None of which can be ran on a console with the same visuals.

The truth of the matter is that game companies who develop/distribute games (for the most part) do not care about innovation. Look at CoD. Due to having a single console they can develop a game every year (or more) for, they know they can sap that market dry by just adding a few weapons.

Lack of innovation and visual enhancements are a huge problem right now, and this is why I am waiting to purchase a PS4. My PC offers enough until I see that the next generation has the visuals and gameplay I desire.

That's better than the console elitists who say the same and go and play the same game on a console :)
But in many cases its not the same game.
Many games on PC offer more features, options and playability then the console version. Watch IGN's review of Dragon Age II, which is ONE example of many.
Since these new consoles just released there might not be as much of a difference now, it takes a real nice rig to make them look old or carry specific features (mostly visual/graphics now), but give it a year and even a mid-range gaming PC will outperform a PS4.
Personally, I game on PC because I can get games for dirt cheap months after they release and I like the option of using my Razer products or my 360 gamepad. And running games at 1600p isn't too bad either :) .

but I'm sick of pc elitists who say that consoles hinder the industry and then go and play their indie platformers that could be run on Pentium 2.

Tell me more how indie games are ruining the industry. Really, I'd be amazed to see how you can turn the major drawcard of next-gen (better indie dev features; PS4 openly wants them on console and Vita) into a point about 'hindering the industry' just because it has lower visuals than a 3D game.

Huh, did I say something bad about indie games? I rarely play them but I have nothing against them. I was saying that pc elitists - people who buy (too)expensive pc parts - often play them while whining that consoles are too weak.

Wish it were pc only then we could have seen this game really shine. Just cut out the consoles completely there is no way possible that the ps4 and xbone are not holding back what could be. .

you must realise your talking crap? , how is a console with 8GB of memory and certainly fast enough holding it back? utter drivel.

I'll definitely be buying witcher 3 , glad to see they have abandoned the old consoles.

Back