The Xbox 360 just got another update, almost 14 years after launch

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? It’s been almost 14 years since Microsoft launched the Xbox 360, but that doesn’t mean the company has stopped supporting it. The venerable console just received a new update, and while it doesn’t appear to add very much, it’s still surprising to see.

According to Microsoft’s Xbox 360 support page, the latest update for the console brings “minor bug fixes and improvements.” It’s unclear how much of a difference this will make, or if users will even notice.

It’s been over a year since the last Xbox 360 update, which brought the same minor bug fixes and improvements. You have to go back to 2015 to find the last major update. That release added the Activity Feed, the ability to redeem codes from messages, a feature that shows what friends are playing on the Xbox One and Windows, and more.

The Xbox 360 was one of the best-selling consoles of all time, shifting over 84 million units since its November 2005 launch. Sadly, it was discontinued in 2017. According to Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox, over 78 billion hours were spent gaming on the machine, with players earning 486 billion Gamerscore from 27 billion achievements.

With Microsoft’s next-generation Xbox machines, known as Project Scarlett, set to arrive next fall, even the current Xbox One consoles will soon become last gen, so those still using a 360 should probably consider upgrading. But there remains a number of games on the platform that never became part of the backward compatibility program, which could explain why some people won't let go.

Permalink to story.

Why shouldn't they? The online store and online services still work fine as well.

Still play my 360 way more than my xbox one. Console exclusive games this gen are pretty meh overall.

You got to appreciate that kind of long term support, no matter who's providing it! Imagine if a cell phone received that kind of support! WOW

Xbox 360 was a great console but although it was one of the best selling consoles of all time it still got last place in sales during that generation

Last place was still 2nd as ppl stopped counting nintendo a long time ago.
Still I doubt MS could careless. They made billions in a area where most said they couldnt succeed, they proved them all wrong. Now they are working on their 4th system playing with biggest gaming companies in the world (Sony). I would say they are doing just fine and are happy with their success.
If it wasnt for MS pushing Sony and wanting to do cross platform play we may have never seen it in our lifetime. Sony wasnt interested. Things have changed and now cross play will be one if not the biggest thing to happen in gaming history. Billions are at steak for all companies.

Last place was still 2nd as ppl stopped counting nintendo a long time ago.
Still I doubt MS could careless. They made billions in a area where most said they couldnt succeed, they proved them all wrong. Now they are working on their 4th system playing with biggest gaming companies in the world (Sony). I would say they are doing just fine and are happy with their success.
If it wasnt for MS pushing Sony and wanting to do cross platform play we may have never seen it in our lifetime. Sony wasnt interested. Things have changed and now cross play will be one if not the biggest thing to happen in gaming history. Billions are at steak for all companies.

But you gotta see the business strategy though right? Sony had games open to pc, but not xbox. Obviously they wanted to choke the xbox out as they have been leading this gen the whole time. If you cant play with your friends on an xbox, you dont buy one

I still use my Xbox 360 to play COD Black Ops (1 & 2). It boots up faster than my Xbox One and I'm able to DELETE the COD PATCHES (and then disable internet connection so it quits trying to patch it) so I can play the COD BO1 Kino Der Toten map with the exploit that allows you to CARRY 10 GUNS (throw a grenade at same time as you pick up weapon from magic box or wall buy). Makes this a very enjoyable map that I constantly play years later after it was released.

You got to appreciate that kind of long term support, no matter who's providing it! Imagine if a cell phone received that kind of support! WOW
Or even smart TV or any other gadget.

You can say what you want about MS, but they are pretty good at providing updates for a long time - well, maybe with the exception of their Surface line. Even their Windows phones still get updates (but not for much longer, sadly)

If I compare this with Samsung* (they attitude seems to be "we've got your money now s***w you"), I know which one I prefer.

*Had two Samsung notebooks that used custom graphics drivers, I.e. you could not install the standard GPU driver. Sadly, Samsung never provided an update.
Even worse with their Smart TV (high end model) where over time updates would remove many of the features that made me buy it in the first place. Still has a great picture quality but a lot less "smart".

My 360 is still in use. Not by me, but now by my 5yo son. I get great enjoyment by sitting back watching him hone and master his young Padawan skills. Thank you MS for building such a sold console!

It started out as the strongest console in its generation hands down. As time went by, with MS filling the dashboard to the brim with increased advertising, and Sony releasing a slew of solid exclusives, the PS3 passed it out handily in about in about 3 or 4 years. The trend continues with PS4, and not much has changed. Xbox just lacks good exclusives, otherwise it would be a killer platform.

Back