Themes come to Chrome, bookmark syncing next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Google has quietly launched a theme gallery for its open-source Chrome browser comprising a range of minimalist to headache-inducing options. With 29 templates to choose from, Chrome is nowhere near Firefox’s diversity when it comes to getting all gussied up but many will appreciate the added functionality. For now, it is available only on the latest 3.0 developer builds though.

Users can apply themes simply by choosing a design from the gallery and selecting “open” in the download manager pane at the bottom after it finishes downloading. There’s an option to switch between themes and the default view at any time under the “Personal Stuff” link in the Preferences menu. A word of caution: although it shouldn’t come as a surprise, some are reporting that using themes can slightly slow down Chrome.

Additionally, the search giant revealed plans to introduce a new developer build in the coming weeks that will support bookmark syncing across multiple instances of Chrome. The Xmarks plug-in (formerly called Foxmarks) has solved this issue for years on Firefox, and even Google used to develop a browser sync extension for Mozilla’s browser. However, Chrome’s new sync feature could have broader implications down the road, as Google tries to unite desktops and the cloud with its forthcoming operating system.

Permalink to story.

Once again copied from Opera ;)

Opera's sync feature is built in and has been a godsend for years.

And it doesnt just sync bookamrks:

"What does it synchronize? Bookmarks, Speed dial entries, Personal bar items, web panels, search engines, and notes, with more to come. You can pick which to sync in the login dialog, and the checkbox for Personal bar also controls whether web panels are synced."

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/my-opera-synchronization-explained

Not that the Firefox lovers are ever gonna convert, and tbh i'm not trying to convert anybody, but Firefox gets way to much credit for stuff its just copied from the true originator and innovator of modern web browsers. Opera just doesnt get the credit or publicity it rightly deserves.

Yeah yeah OK then its not a new idea but so what... the themes look great and its a welcome addition to a browser that is still very much a work in progress. I can't imagine any reason to complain. I really liked some of the themes and one looks like the CSS I am using in a web application I am writing.

Like i said, there is no 'so what', there is no real 'complaint', progress is progress at the end of the day and chrome is a promising browser. I was merely making an observation, a 'comment' if you will :)

I love Opera, I've used it now for about 7 years, it just does it for me. firefox doesn't, tried and tried but after so many years of Opera giving you what you want 'out of the box', to then move to firefox where i have to download plugin after plugin after plugin ..... sorry, uninstall/delete.

Google Chrome is amazingly fast. About the copy from opera part, that might be right but all browsers must have copied one or another thing from each other.

Opera innovates the same way Microsoft does... They just used brute force the same way by getting ballot screens introduced in the first place. As for syncing, it is becoming a standard expectation. IE should be introducing it eventually if it hasn't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back