ThinkPad - Vista Ultimate - Firefox problemn

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdms96825

I was attempting to download the add-on Foxmarks to FF on my new Lenovo ThinkPad. I was able to download it but when I tried to install it I got the dreaded unable to install because of chrome registration. So I started FF in safe mode and found ThinkPad Password Manager was there as an add-on and disabled it. Then I restarted FF in normal mode and Foxmarks installed perfectly.

I then went to my banking site which has a username screen and then a password screen. I was able to enter my username but then, instead of the password page coming up on the screen, I got simply a blank screen. The bottom left of the screen said "DONE."

I was immediately able to access the site on my old XP laptop through Firefox, so it must be something with Vista.

Could it be something to do with my having disabled the ThinkPad Password Manager in FF, or something else?

Thanks.

Read:

Chrome registration failed:
Chrome registration is something each Firefox add-on must do to work in Firefox. While some add-ons come with the appropriate chrome.manifest file, other add-ons rely on chrome.manifest being automatically generated when you start Firefox.

Chrome registration failure can occur when an add-on has come bundled with Firefox and you don't have system rights to edit files where Firefox is installed. (Thus chrome.manifest cannot be generated.)

To prevent this error from happening again, you need your system administrator to log on with an administrator account, and run Firefox at least once.

If that isn't an option, you can disable the offending add-on.

1. At the top of the Firefox window, click the Tools menu, and select Add-ons.
2. The Add-ons window will open. In the Add-ons window, click the Extensions icon.
3. A list of installed extensions will be displayed. If you see any extension that you did not install yourself, select it, and click on Disable.
4. Exit Firefox:
* (Windows) From the menu at the top of the Firefox window, select File and then select the Exit menu item.
* (Mac) From the menu bar, select Firefox and then select the Quit Firefox menu item.
* (Linux) From the menu at the top of the Firefox window, select File and then select the Quit menu item.
5. Start Firefox.
6. If the error still occurs, try disabling a different extension.

Extensions known to cause chrome registration failure
* ThinkVantage Password Manager (bundled with Firefox in Lenovo Thinkpads)

http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Chrome+registration+failed

Let Firefox manage your passwords:
Tools> Options> Security> CHECK 'remember passwords for sites'.

Thanks Bobbye!!

I disabled and uninstalled all add-ons except for:
Adblock
Foxmarks Synch
Internet Download Manager
NoScript

These I had downloaded many weeks ago and never affected it.

Now it works.

Last questions:

1. What is the difference between let FF manage passwords and use a master password?

2. Is a master password safe?

You're welcome. You can set a master password through Firefox:
Tools> Options> Security> 'Use a Master Password'.

This problem was because a third party was handling the master password setting and it isn't compatible. Keep in mind that every time we update Firefox, it changes in some way(s). Possibly the latest update(s) caused the conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back