Three days later, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor gets patched to improve PC performance, DLSS...

Daniel Sims

Staff
In context: Respawn Entertainment's Jedi-themed action sequel has taken the cake in what has so far been a particularly bad year for AAA PC game launches. The studio is already releasing patches to fix performance, but a modder is taking matters into his own hands by hacking Nvidia's DLSS 3 frame generation into the title. Elden Ring and Skyrim are also receiving similar mods.

An in-development mod is bringing DLSS 3 frame generation to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor – one of the games currently most in need of it. EA is also releasing official patches to improve the game's harshly criticized PC performance.

The Jedi action game experienced one of the worst PC launches of 2023 (so far) last week. Press and players hammered the title for its adverse CPU and VRAM performance. Reports claim it can allocate over 18GB of VRAM in 1440p – far more than other recent games that have experienced video memory issues. Due to improper CPU utilization, outlets like Digital Foundry couldn't maintain 60fps with an RTX 4090 and Intel Core i9-12900K.

Modder PureDark recently posted a video (masthead) demonstrating the game with DLSS 3 frame generation, which uses the machine learning cores in Nvidia RTX 4000 series graphics cards to interpolate frames. The initial results contain artifacts but show the frame rate jumping from 45fps to 90fps. While the uplift doesn't improve input response, RTX 4000 GPU owners should at least notice a smoother image when the mod launches.

Adding DLSS to games through third-party mods isn't new, but the process usually only brings DLSS 2 to games that already include AMD's FSR 2, like the remake of Resident Evil 4. While Jedi: Survivor does feature FSR 2, its Denuvo DRM prevents PureDark from adding DLSS Super Resolution. Modding in DLSS 3 appears to be a new step that PureDark is also extending to other popular games.

Subscribers to the modder's Patreon can already download closed beta versions of Elden Ring and Skyrim upscaling mods, which include DLSS 3, DLSS 2, FSR, and XeSS, with plans to publicly release the mods for all three games after working out some kinks. The Elden Ring mod in particular appears to be nearing completion.

Meanwhile, EA released an official Jedi: Survivor update on Monday to fix bugs and improve performance, with ray tracing patches presumably still in the works. The same patch will arrive for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles on Tuesday, though the console versions haven't suffered from the same kind of performance problems.

Permalink to story.

Not devs, publishers.
I suspect a bit of both, for this particular game.

The PR team claimed the game was done in time for the March release date but needed six more weeks to polish bugs and performance. Considering the state of the title now, heaven only knows what it was like a month and a half ago. EA rightly gets a lot of flack but Respawn themselves are not without blame in this case.

I suspect a bit of both, for this particular game.

The PR team claimed the game was done in time for the March release date but needed six more weeks to polish bugs and performance. Considering the state of the title now, heaven only knows what it was like a month and a half ago. EA rightly gets a lot of flack but Respawn themselves are not without blame in this case.
The devs know exactly the state of the game. A decision to publish is placed squarely on the shoulders of those above.

Not sure if it was someone at the top of Respawn that said "OK, this as good as we can make it right now, we have to release", but a hard deadline is almost always set by EA, the publisher. I doubt Disney had much to say when it comes to the deadline, but they could have been a factor too.

The "six weeks" thing reminds me a lot of the No Man's Sky situation with Sony :)

Don't know how it's still going for the poor bastards on PC but here on PS5 I'm scratching my head trying to work out what 1.003 actually fixed because HDR is still busted AF yet now the Wisdom perk that increases XP gains is completely broken and does nothing, not even getting any XP from certain enemies. Unacceptable.

Gamers are getting pretty damn sick and tired of being treated like unpaid QA testers yet are still being forced to pay full price for a game that probably is only just in beta stage. We all deserve better, especially PC guys who invest thousands into their rigs yet are met with AAA release after AAA release that are completely broken and unplayable.

Studios used to develop for PC then port to console, now it's the other way around with PC treated as the red headed child. It's completely unacceptable and you guys deserve far better than this obvious contempt, hell, we all do. Has there been a multi platform release in the last year that's worked fine out of the gate on PC? If there is I haven't heard of it.

The devs know exactly the state of the game. A decision to publish is placed squarely on the shoulders of those above.

Not sure if it was someone at the top of Respawn that said "OK, this as good as we can make it right now, we have to release", but a hard deadline is almost always set by EA, the publisher. I doubt Disney had much to say when it comes to the deadline, but they could have been a factor too.

The "six weeks" thing reminds me a lot of the No Man's Sky situation with Sony :)
This is the game's director, in an interview with IGN:
Of course, he could well be saying that because EA's or Resawn's senior management told him to, and I have no doubt that everyone in both companies knew the state of the game as it neared the launch date, but the fact that there are performance issues across multiple platforms, not just PC, suggests to me that the blame lies squarely on all parties.

Has there been a multi platform release in the last year that's worked fine out of the gate on PC? If there is I haven't heard of it.
No, there hasn't, but the Resident Evil 4 remake is probably the best of the recent releases, in comparison to the others. Naturally, it still had lots of problems but they were mostly rectified very swiftly.

DLSS completely destroy FSR in Star Wars Jedi Survivor. FSR struggles to keep up the details in motion, and has poor particle effects

Here is some screentshots
https://I.ibb.co/PzfngBL/Capture2.png
https://I.ibb.co/pWRDQq8/Capture-2.png
https://I.ibb.co/F3HRdMd/Capture.png

Here is the full video.
As bad as FRS 2.0 may be in some titles, this looks to be problem beyond FSR. Something went terribly wrong with that implementation. It looks worse than FSR 1.0 in the bad FSR 1.0 examples. This screams of "let the unpaid intern do it". :)

And I don't expect them to fix it just like they can't fix many other issues.

Back