TL-WR940N - Unable to change DHCP Settings

Hi,

I am trying to set up a Smart DNS on a new TL-WR940N that I purchased today. The router will be a secondary router to my Sky Q router. I have an Ethernet cable from Ethernet point 1 on my main router (sky), going into the WAN point on my TP router.

I am following instructions 4.7.1 (https://static.tp-link.com/2017/201712/20171215/1910012310_TL-WR940N_V6_UG.pdf) and I am stuck at the first point.

I am logged into my router and trying to change the DHCP settings. The server is set to enabled by default, which is what I want, but I am unable to input any primary DNS settings or start IP address. They are sort of greyed out and won’t let me edit

Wrong approach IMO.

First connect a PC directly to the new router and have nothing else connected. The existing DHCP will give you the default IP address as the gateway (see ipconfig /all)

Now login and
  • TURN OFF DHCP altogether
  • disable remote admin and port 8080 usage
  • set your own admin password
now save the configuration.

Now we connect the first router, via any RJ45 slot, directly to the TL-WR940N on any of its RJ45, BUT NOT THE WAN PORT.

Now all devices connected to your original router or the TL-WR940N will be controlled by the DHCP in your original router.

If you want/need special IP addresses per device, use the Address Reservation feature.

Thanks for the reply.

My knowledge with this is very limited.

I will try your suggestion and try and google anything I'm unsure of.

Just one question please. You say connect the new router directly to the computer, I presume just with an ethernet cable with my main router still connected to my home wifi network?

Thanks again.

Correct. While doing this, the main router does not participate and is not connected

BTW, According to Symantec:
Smart DHCP
A smart traffic filtering option that allows a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) client to receive an IP address from a DHCP server while protecting the client against DHCP attacks from a network. If a Symantec Protection Agent sends a DHCP request to a DHCP server, it waits for five seconds to allow for an incoming DHCP response. If a Symantec Protection Agent does not send a DHCP request to a DHCP server, then Smart DHCP does not allow the packet. Smart DHCP does not block packets. It simply allows the packet if a DHCP request was made. Any other DHCP blocking or allowing is done by the normal security rule set. See also Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
so there's very little to be gained attempting Smart DHCP in the first place

One more thought - -
I have a similar setup where the main router is wired only and resides at 192.168.0.1

My secondary is my WiFi AP and setup exactly per the above. Once in a while it's nice to access the secondary without disturbing the connections, so I force the router address to be 192.168.0.254 (the last possible address on 192.168.0 ). Now I can access the secondary anytime with that address and change whatever is needed, including new firmware. :)

Ran into the same problem, go to `Network` -> `LAN` and change your IP address first. I changed it from `192.168.1.1` -> `192.168.0.2`. Once I had restarted the router I was able to change the DHCP settings

Back