Tomb Raider Tested, Benchmarked

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/645-tomb-raider-performance/]https://www.techspot.com/review/645-tomb-raider-performance/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

WOW ! it looks like my MSI 680 Lightining is slower than a 7870 in this game?? its either a wrong benchmarks here or a VERY ''made for AMD'' kinda game!....

As usual I'll wait for the game to go on special. By that time nVidia should've released new drivers which theoretically should increase the performance.

WOW ! it looks like my MSI 680 Lightining is slower than a 7870 in this game?? its either a wrong benchmarks here or a VERY ''made for AMD'' kinda game!....

As far as I've been able to gather the game wasn't optimized for any Nvidia products prior to launch. They brought out a patch yesterday which seems to have helped slightly but I think we will only be getting proper performance from Nvidia products once a new Nvidia driver comes out.

I have the same problem as a lot of people, with the game crashing every few minutes on Nvidia cards when tessellation in on. Hoping for a new patch of driver to come out soon so I can enjoy the game.

As far as I've been able to gather the game wasn't optimized for any Nvidia products prior to launch. They brought out a patch yesterday which seems to have helped slightly but I think we will only be getting proper performance from Nvidia products once a new Nvidia driver comes out.
An Nvidia driver release won't fix (all) the issues. Game patch required:
Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final game code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.
Please be advised that these issues cannot be completely resolved by an NVIDIA driver. The developer will need to make code changes on their end to fix the issues on GeForce GPUs as well...
You can read the full announcement at Tech Report.

Of all the games released in 2013, this is my favorite so far. And from the art direction stand point, it also has the most beautiful graphics I've ever seen. When the game was released, I was playing with the same driver used for this benchmark and I crashed to desktop every 5 minutes. Then I decided to roll back to 310.90 and I've been playing happily ever after, the DOF issue still persists though.

I've been playing this on an AMD 6970 and it's been running fine for me. I can't play with tresFX on, so I think it's time for a new card soon(once next gen comes out) but I've only experienced one CTD with 90% of the game complete. Hope Nvidia/CD fixes the issues soon because I was not expecting this game to be so fun and I feel people need to play this asap.

Hmm, the first page list shows 17 graphics cards, the results 27, and of those 17 at least the 4 GB 680 is missing from results.

The test is wrong
with the new driver 314,14 and the new patch ... I 680 ultimate sttings 1200p 55fps

fail.........test

The test is wrong
with the new driver 314,14 and the new patch ... I 680 ultimate sttings 1200p 55fps

fail.........test

That Driver is from March 4th?
The game hadn't even been released then? and in the release notes it has not a single mention of Tomb Raider?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you a liar but I am intrigued, do you have a screenshot to backup your claim?

The test is wrong

fail.........test

Except you're wrong.

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition (3.30GHz)
x4 4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 (CAS 8-8-8-20)
Gigabyte G1.Assassin2 (Intel X79)
OCZ ZX Series 1250w
Crucial m4 512GB (SATA 6Gb/s)
Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
Nvidia Forceware 314.07
AMD Catalyst 13.2 (Beta 6)

Is the settings used, they used the latest for the time that they were conducting these tests. If you'd want to request them to do a updated one, that'd make sense. But calling this review fail because the drivers/game code wasn't up to snuff in time is only fail on your part.

The test is wrong

fail.........test

Although that is a silly comment to make you did spot a typo, we did test with the 314.14 drivers. As for the comment about yesterdays patch get real please.

Have Been waiting on this review thanks techspot!:)

btw it runs at about 45 fps ultimate on mine 7870 xt tahiti@1200

Great review Steve, nice to see AMD taking the lead by far, for a change :)

I haven't still decided between getting Far Cry 3 or Tomb Raider... both seem to be great titles!

as you can read at the end of the article, yes the game suffer more on the nvidia cards, mainly because DOF

The Radeons obviously have the advantage here but even so no GPU is really all that impressive, from either side.
And one thing that bugs me are the names they apply to the settings....there is no low-medium-high-ultra now, its very high, ultra, extreme, godlike, redunkulous, etc etc.

Back