Toshiba laptop not producing sound/audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

maXimus4444

hi everybody!

I recently reformatted a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, model M105-S3041.

Everything has been going well until I got to the audio driver. I downloaded the driver that Toshiba directed me to. It was the RealTek Audio Driver v5.10.0.5200. After I installed the driver, the laptop produced no sound.

I have checked all the levels on the audio properties: the master volume, the speaker levels, etc. All of them are up. There is nothing that is muted. I can still hear nothing.

I'm not sure if the driver that Toshiba has associated with this model of laptop is the correct driver. But I am not sure... thats why I am asking you all.

Any ideas?

-maX

A few things to try...

- check to see if "Realtek Onboard Sound" (or similar) is enabled in BIOS
- check audio devices in Device Manager to confirm drivers are installed correctly
- install the driver that came with the laptop, perhaps on a setup CD-ROM
- install a generic sound driver to confirm if the problem is driver-related (most-likely)

I didn't see any on board sound in the bios setup.

The only audio driver that wasn't installed was Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus.

I don't have any cd/disc that came with the laptop.

I looked for a generic High Definition audio driver and when I attempted to install them it said there was no device to install the driver for.

Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post
Which should also verify the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver is installed (it's a PCI device) for High Def audio.

Uninstall service pack 3 and the audio driver at the same time. Reboot, let windows find the sound card and reinstall it then. If it works, stay away from service pack 3 until an updated driver that fixes the problem comes out.

Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post
Which should also verify the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver is installed (it's a PCI device) for High Def audio.

Short of people who
1. Have High Def Audio Sound and
2. Have XP SP3 and have failed to installed Microsoft UAA Bus Driver
I've failed to (currently) find any driver issues due to SP3 (maybe when SP3 first released but not at this point)

Running Problem Devices will verify that this device isn't the problem. (I can explain how to patch/fix the issue in SP3 should the UAA bus driver be the problem)

As for maXimus4444 trying to run a "generic": whatever you tried installing was not a match for your specific device. Would suggest easiest next step is running Problem Devices, report the result, and we go from there

I got it to work. I'm not sure how. I rebooted it, which i've been doing and then all of the sudden it worked...

so frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back