Total physical memory much lower than it should be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skoberlink

I've got a 5 yr old compaq that lately has been running really sluggish. I run regular virus/spyware checks using AVG and of course it's also doing real-time scanning. There aren't any processes running that I'm not expecting and none of them are hogging all that much memory. I noticed that my total physical memory is around 391 MB and it should be 512. I don't really know the expected difference between what the manufacturer states and what is given but I would guess it's less than 100 MB. I'm running Windows XP SP3. Are there any known problems that might be causing a sluggish computer or are my instincts correct in that I have a problem with my physical memory? I would also appreciate any other suggestions you might have for such a sluggish computer.

You're most likely using a video card that requires using part of main memory instead of providing all of its own private memory. (so it allocates a chunk of memory for the video card at system boot)

1. Your OS eats ram
2. if you have integrated graphics, that eats ram too
3. Other software eats ram

1. Your OS eats ram
2. if you have integrated graphics, that eats ram too
3. Other software eats ram

All true. But i think when looking at Total Physical Memory one sees memory available AFTER a video adapter takes a chunk but before the other running software takes its fair (or unfair!) share. (and note to Skoberlink: this only occurs w/video adapters that don't provide 100% of their own on-board memory). The other stuff (like the OS and other software) also eat memory but that's reflected typically reflected in Available memory (vs. Total)

I would also appreciate any other suggestions you might have for such a sluggish computer.
Remove AVG8 for a start, then run the removal tool (as it never fully uninstalls properly)

Then install Avira free AntiVirus (way less resource hungry, and a much better scanner anyway)

Then get another 512Meg of Ram (Read Updating ram & troubleshooting in the Guides forum for help with this)

I agree the Video memory is using the computer Ram (which is an unavoidable issue on your computer, being an old Compaq)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back