Transferring Windows 10 from Laptop to New PC

Hello, I am eventually going to build a new PC, but I have a budget and cannot afford to purchase a new copy of Windows. The Laptop that I have has Windows 10 (Came with 8.1 but was later upgraded.) I want to transfer this copy from my laptop to this new PC. I understand the whole scenario that if the copy of Windows is tied to the motherboard, then you can't remove it. I don't have that, my copy of Windows isn't tied to the motherboard. I also understand that I am supposed to take the Product Key from this laptop and transfer it over the new PC. The problem is, I don't know how I am supposed do that. How do I register this copy if it's digital, and because this new PC doesn't come with an Operating System so I could easily license it, how am I supposed to transfer it? What is the process of transferring the Product Key to the new PC.

It's a bit early to be asking that question. I think it's unlikely that anyone could give you a trustworthy answer yet. In fact this is likely to cause you a lot of problems and I wouldn't want to do it.

If you want to use same product key on both PC then its not valid and your PC says that product key is not valid. Instead of this you will be prefer to buy new copy of windows or try Linux for free use

It seems that you need to do a "transfer system to different hardware", which is to make an image of the whole disk on the laptop(including system and data), and restore to the desktop.
So far as I know that acronis true image and easeus todo backup can do this. but not sure if you will get a genuine license, since you don't have to enter a license code after restore the system.

Back