Trouble updating AVG anti virus and anti spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

And 75

Hello, have just had laptop cleared and cleaned of some worm, trojans and pop ups. Have installed avg anit virus and anti spy ware but I am having trouble updating both.

Keep getting message "proxy server connection failed", I have xp firewall on but allowing avg through.

Any help would be much appreciated as I dont want to get loaded with another load of infections.

My internet connection is broadband, do I need to adjust anything once avg is downloaded or should I just be able to update my clicking on the update tab.

All help would be appreciated

And 75

try disabling the automatic updates and resident shield then update manually, see if that works

If you have any other anti-malware software, you might try disabling that temporarily. It is also possible that if you made an exception in the Windows Firewall for a certain site, that may not be the site where AVG is getting its info. Try disabling the Windows Firewall, then updating AVG, and if it works, enable it as soon as you're done.

hope it works for you :)

ok will try, any pointers, do you have to put any information in the setting for the proxy server - user ?

Will give your advice a go, thanks

And 75

Hello, have tried turning off firewall and disabling shield and manual update but still get message from avg anti "proxy server conection failed" and from avg anti spy ware " failed to connect to server update"

Yet i can easily access there website, I have removed avg and re-installed but no luck.

Any other ideas or is it just me. Not been able to update ever since I down loaed it. Do you have to adjust the schedule at all.

And 75

What version of AVG are you running? I think that AVG 7.1 was gonna be unsupported as of a certain date (I forget when) by Grisoft. The person had to get version 7.5 instead. If you're running AVG 7.1, you may need to uninstall that and get the new version 7.5. cuz perhaps their server sees that you have 7.1 (if you have it and it's no longer supported) and refuses your request.

Cheers :)

I heard that, I downloaded version 7.5, def the free version, just still not connecting bit annoying really.

Avg spy ware is running in the bottom right hand corner nut anti spy ware is coloured grey.

Do you have to alter the proxy settings at all or ip address ?

Where it has the settings for update manager, use proxy server etc, do you have to change anything there or what information should be there ie user name, us proxy server, password etc

And 75

ok will try unistalling both and see what happens

And 75

Well uninstalled both avg free anti virus and anti spyware and re-installed both free versions, still cannot update and the resident shield is now no longer available on avg anti spyware is saying not available on the free version.

Any ideas as I do not want to leave my lap top wide open again.

Still have windows xp firewall on

Any help or advice much appreciated

And 75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back