Trouble with new GPU and PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a ASUS ENGTS250 1G video card and a Ultra LSP 450 power supply. I have been playing borderlands just fine and beat the game and am into the add-ons now with no problems till today. Now when i start playing the game about a min. into gameplay flashing lines appear and if i don't exit quickly, it blacks out leaving me with just sound. The card has never been over 55c. I am starting to think it is a power issue even tho the power supply meets the recommended stats for the card.I am about to try and use OCCT to stress test my system, and either way the results go i need to know what course of action to take to resolve this problem. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Remember the rate wattage is always lower by 100watts. So that 450w going to be 350w. You'll need to get 500, 600, 700, 800, 1000w. In your case I would recommend 600 to 700w. Although some claim to be true wattage meaning if they say 500w it's 500w.

Sounds more like an overheating problem to me.

Go ahead and stress test the system. Would be nice if you can confirm that the 55C you mentioned is load temp.

Remember the rate wattage is always lower by 100watts. So that 450w going to be 350w. You'll need to get 500, 600, 700, 800, 1000w. In your case I would recommend 600 to 700w.

Well the card recommended a 450 watt power supply with 12v current rating of 24a, which i have, so wouldn't they factor that in if thats what they tell you that you need? This is frustrating to say the least, lol

Sounds more like an overheating problem to me.

Go ahead and stress test the system. Would be nice if you can confirm that the 55C you mentioned is load temp.

i use ASUS smartDoctor to see the temps, came with the card. It is idling at 41 instead of 44 now that i put a better fan on my case, so that should help some. And people overclock these cards and get them in the 60's to temp, which i'm not ok with, but if they are running like that on a load, why whould my cut off cause of heat at just 52-55?

OK, catch this, that power supply test that was suppost to last 1hr by default, was cut short by my computer cutting off after less than 2 min. I'm guessing thats not good. What should i do from here?

For the record, my buddy installed two Ultra LSP 450w power supplies in his computer and both failed after a month or so of regular use. The Ultra unit I run in my computer is quite solid but for whatever reason the LSP series seems to be somewhat lousy. I guess Ultra decided to skimp on the quality parts with those power supplies...

Well, it looks like the PSU is at fault then.

From this point, there isn't much you can do. If its possible to furthur confirm this by replacing the PSU with another known good PSU (possibly from another computer?) do so.

PSUs aren't designed to be user serviceable. I doubt this is something as simple as a bad cap, which you might be able to change yourself.

My suggestion would be to replace the PSU. If you're going to go for another 450W, you might want to go with a reputable brand, or go for a 550W generic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back