Trouble with print screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedlam_4

I've read the help posts by phantasm on how to post my desk top. My computer is bushwhacking me right from the start. Pressing the print screen key on my computer key board seems to have no effect and causes no changes (i.e pop-up menues, bells, whistles, dancing bears) that would cause me to believe that the key was anything other than a dummy key. I have a poll that I would like to post that requires a screen shot from a popular game.
  • Is the print screen key enabled by default in MS 98SE (my current OS)
  • Do I need some software external to my OS to print the screen?
  • Is the screen actually ready to paste, and waiting in some file somewhere?

When I want to post a screenshot, I hit ALT + PRNTSCR & then I launch an app like Paint & just paste. You can always download a program such a HyperSnap & use that instead.

Originally posted by bedlam_4
Is the print screen key enabled by default in MS 98SE (my current OS)
It's as enabled as the other keys.
Do I need some software external to my OS to print the screen?
Is the screen actually ready to paste, and waiting in some file somewhere?
Yes, just hitting "Print Screen" copies the screen to clipboard (you can look its contents with Clipboard Viewer (if installed)), from where you "paste" it to an image manipulation application.

i do have some trouble with printscreening video files too.
when i paste it in photoshop, some times it just appears as a black box, other times, there's a pic of the vid clip in it...
and it happens by chance.

ps. ALT+Printscreen = printscreening the foremost app.
printscreen = the whole screen
that's what i got. (so if you're gonna paste a pic of your desktop, just press printscreen)

Originally posted by Ai Hate
i do have some trouble with printscreening video files too.
when i paste it in photoshop, some times it just appears as a black box, other times, there's a pic of the vid clip in it...
and it happens by chance.
It's because most video applications use overlay mode (YV12 or similar, not RGB) where the data is sent directly to video card. One workaround for this is to open a program that uses overlay first and playing the desired video clip in other window. This works in most video cards as they don't support multiple overlay windows at once. I'm not sure about PowerVR Kyros, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back