Try before you buy: New App Store section highlights apps that offer free trials

Polycount

Staff

While many iPhone apps will typically only run you a few dollars, even that may be too much to shell out for something you've never used before. Enter Apple's new "Try it For Free" App Store section designed to give users easier access to apps that offer free trial periods. At the moment there's only a few being promoted: USA Today, Lake: Coloring Books, Panna: Video Recipes & Classes and 1Password. Though these apps are quite different from one another, they're all subscription-based services.

While these apps have always offered free trials, this tweak to the App Store interface could serve as Apple's way of pushing more users into trying out a different method of payment than they might be used to, especially after years of apps being monetized via one-time fees or in-app purchases and microtransactions.

If you opt to check out one of the apps for yourself you'll be redirected to a "Subscription Offer" page with all the relevant details, which includes information regarding trial length and the cost of the app after the free period is up.

It's worth noting that Apple hasn't separated apps by trial length or payment frequency, so apps that charge you on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis will appear alongside each other. It's possible that the new section sees some tweaks over the coming months but for now, make sure you know what sort of commitment you're signing up for.

Permalink to story.

I think the problem with these apps is not their price, it is just that consumers have found that overwhelmingly they are trash. Who wants to be burned again even if it's only for a few bucks?

Something free - that's going to blow most Apple users tiny minds.
The new iPhone X actually makes you pay $20 before it will let you take a dump in its presence.

I am more concerned with the labeling of them as "free" when then are just a free trial. Is it really that hard to add a 3rd category or do these companies know that their product is so poor that people won't even try it unless they are duped into downloading it?

As I see it, this could be signs that app purchases are waning, and crApple is attempting to dupe the unsuspecting.

I am more concerned with the labeling of them as "free" when then are just a free trial. Is it really that hard to add a 3rd category or do these companies know that their product is so poor that people won't even try it unless they are duped into downloading it?
or free but you try and use it and everywhere you look there is a required 'in app purchase'

Something free - that's going to blow most Apple users tiny minds.
The new iPhone X actually makes you pay $20 before it will let you take a dump in its presence.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Apple as a company, they do have good tech. I don't get the extreme hate. Sheeple and Anti-Apple people are like the supporters and enemies of Trump but on a smaller scale. I highly doubt Apple charges you twenty bucks before you "take a dump".

While I'm not the biggest fan of Apple as a company, they do have good tech. I don't get the extreme hate. Sheeple and Anti-Apple people are like the supporters and enemies of Trump but on a smaller scale. I highly doubt Apple charges you twenty bucks before you "take a dump".
Given Apple's legendary greed and treachery, I think it's allowable, even desirable, to let off steam about their policies via hostility, magnified disdain for their Machiavellian business model, and hyperbolic scorn for the company in general.

Besides big guy, this is Windows territory, you'll just have to learn to roll with the punches.

Last edited:
Given Apple's legendary greed and treachery, I think it's allowable, even desirable, to let off steam about their policies via hostility, magnified disdain for their Machiavellian business model, and hyperbolic scorn for the company in general.

Besides big guy, this is Windows territory, you'll just have to learn to roll with the punches.

I'll always be a Windows guy, I'm just not the guy who'll scoff and toss it out the window when offered a free iPhone.

I'll always be a Windows guy, I'm just not the guy who'll scoff and toss it out the window when offered a free iPhone.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe this thread had anything remotely to do with getting "a free iPhone".

The thread was is about "free trial apps", being hailed as, "free apps", in Apple's typically evasive and deceptive lexicon.

Even at that, the "try it before you buy it", (IIRC), was a teenage boy's mantra and justification, for his clumsy attempts in trying to separate his girlfriend from her cherished virginity.

But, if you know where iPhones are being doled out for free, by all means, drop me a PM and I'll be right there whit-cha! (y)

Back