Trying to remove file from system32 folder but can't

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingpongmury

i'm trying to remove a .dll from the system32 folder but it says i need permission to perform this action.

i'm the Administrator and i've turned UAC off

any suggestions?

You need to take ownership of that file and then give yourself delete permissions (or just all permissions), then you can delete it.

i'm having an issue in changing the permissions, keeps saying Access Denied when i try to change permission to full

The file i'm trying to delete is a leftover "Program Files (x86)" from my previous installation of windows.

It's hard (for me at least) to say why you can't delete this file.

Is it actually causing you any problems, or do you just want to clean up your System32 directory?

it's not in my System32, I just came back to this thread because I was having an issue deleting a file again. And the file still has 20gb or so in it that I can't delete. I'm wondering that when I reinstalled my OS my the name of the computer was different than it was when the Program Files (x86) was created. For example original name was "gateway" and the current name is "gateway-PC"

So the original file has permissions to "gateway" and not "gateway-PC"

I don't know if you got that, I kinda confused myself wjhile typing that. lol

So you reinstalled the OS, then copied this file back onto the PC, and now you can't get rid of it?

Sorry if I've misunderstood.

I remember having the same problem awhile ago. I think I just simply renamed my computer to the old value, deleted the file and renamed my computer back. I think this is what i did. Can't remember..I know it was something simple ..try it...hope it works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back