Underclocking Pentium D 3.2GHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, as one of my last resorts apart from buying a new CPU, I want to try and underclock my processor to lower the idle/load temperatures of it. (problem topic can be found Here)
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide or kind of walk me through the process. I know with Intel processors I will have to lower the fsb? I think? Thanks to everyone in advance!!

I think that your overheating problem is related to something else. Under clocking is (not) your fix. First look at the seating of your CPU. I advise re- seating and use Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. Is your heat sink clean? How about the ventilation and fan support in your machine? Also, did this start happening recently?...or when? I have run a bunch of Pentium D dual core CPU's with no overheating at all. If you take a good look at your machine, make sure that your CPU is seated solidly, I believe that you will find the problem.

If you had checked D4rkfire's link to his previous post you would have seen that he has tried all that before.

I think it may be down to the sheer weight of the heatsink. Putting some kind of support in there temporarily (like a bit of wood, something non conductive) may make a difference.

Worth a try i recon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back