Unsure About PSU Spec's

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeM076

The problem I am having is that I do not know what brand my power supply is, and how many watts it is. I had it installed awhile ago by a computer store when my old PSU blew out, and they then installed a new PSU along with an auxilliary PSU. They said that my PSU is 1000W. I don't know if they meant 1000W all together, or my main PSU is 1000W. Can someone please suggest to me a way on how to find out what type and how many watts my PSU is. The label that is usually on the side of PSU's is not there. Is there something in the BIOS that can tell me information about my PSU? The reason I want to know all of this is because I want to see if my graphics card is receiving enough power, because of recent issues.

My auxilliary PSU is connected directly to my graphics card:

- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104019
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150205

My main PSU is connected to the rest of the components of my PC.

- Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Also, something that is a bit off topic but, for some reason my "Post Count" went from 500 to 200. Does anyone know why this may be?

Well the sticker isn't there so I guess I'm stuck..
- Thanks for the link regarding my last question. :)

No problem, mate :)

Are you sure the sticker isn't on another side of the PSU? they don't always put it on the same side.

Ok well I checked the other side and there IS a sticker. :)
- So my main PSU is 700W and my auxilliary is 300W(Both FSP)...700+300=1000.

Now does all of this power go to my hardware all of the time, or just when I need it? How do I find out how much is going to my PC? What I really want to know is if my PC is receiving enough power, especially my GPU.

On the sticker:

-AC Input: 110-240V ~, 10-5A, 50-60Hz
-DC Output: +3.3V
+12V2
+5Vsb
-Maximum Combined Current for the 12V Outputs shall be 50A
-Total Output: 70A

The PSU only supplies the power that the PC needs, so no, it's not running at full capacity the whole time, unless you have a PSU that's only just capable of running your system.

If the maximum combined output for the 12V rails is 50A then I think you'd be ok. The 8800GTX needs a combined 30A rating and your 12V rails will be giving it about 33A each so as far as i can tell you'll be fine :)

However, if it is only the auxiliary PSU powering the graphics card then I don't think it will be enough. It usually provides 300W and 400W at maximum load, and the 8800GTX needs at least 450W. I can't find info about the Amperage ratings on the Newegg website but even so, it's not quite got enough wattage to power the GPU.

I would suggest powering the graphics card with your main PSU and finding other things to plug into the auxiliary one.

There are two cables connecting my auxilliary PSU to my graphics card. I don't know how I would be able to connect those cable to anything else considering they don't fit anything else. Also, isn't my graphics card already being powered by my main PSU since it's connected to the motherboard and there aren't any other cables that could connect to my graphics card?
- I'm not sure what to do...

Ok, so I found some wires in my motherboard box and I used them to connect my graphics card to my main PSU. The problem is that I'm not sure if some of the power being used to power my PC is coming from the auxilliary PSU, because my main PSU is plugged into it. I don't think I can run my PC on 700W's of power..
- Also, since I made the changes there's a high-pitched fanlike sound coming from my computer.

- Another thing, recently I have been experiencing extremely low framerates, and ever since I made these changes my framerates are higher than ever.

- I think I should just take everything out of my case and start over again to make sure everything is in the right place.

I don't think I can run my PC on 700W's of power
I think you could run it on 700W, but you can keep the auxiliary PSU plugged in there connected to certain devices so that when they need the extra power, they can have it.

recently I have been experiencing extremely low framerates, and ever since I made these changes my framerates are higher than ever.
That is most likely becaues the card is now getting more power so it can process your graphics properly :)

I think I should just take everything out of my case and start over again to make sure everything is in the right place.
That would be a good idea, it doesn't hurt making sure you've got it all plugged in right ;)

Ok, well I took everything out and put everything back in and everything runs fine. The only problem is with my PSU, I'm having issues trying to split up the power between my main PSU and my auxilliary PSU. As of now, I think my main PSU is powering EVERYTHING. The problem lies in the connections of my auxilliary PSU. It has one cable going to the back of my PC, which goes to an outlet. It then has another cable that is meant for my graphics card, but since it doesn't have enough wattage to power it alone, I can't use it alone. It looks like this --- http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=925&sku=35522 ----- Lastly there is another cable slot that the 4-pin PSU cable fits into. Now, since I have my main PSU connected to my auxilliary PSU, are they both being used to power everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back