Unusual Memory Errors and BSOD

I've been having various BSOD showing up since I built my PC around 2 months ago that indicate memory faults or corruption. After receiving these errors I've performed tests using Microsoft's Memory Diagnostic tool or MemTest86 and they've come back with hardware issues within the first few seconds. However, after having the computer turned off for a while, to try the RAM in a different slot configuration, or just to slam my head repeatedly against the wall, a second memory test reports no errors with the RAM whatsoever. I have run tests over 16 hours with absolutely no errors shown.

After further messing around I have thankfully found out to consistently recreate this issue I need to:
  • Shutdown the system via any usual method;
  • Immediately start it back up again and allow windows to load;
  • Start Microsoft's Memory Diagnostic test, allowing it to restart the computer.
After doing this it reports hardware issues guaranteed, and loading Windows after this can result in a variety of BSOD. If I then shutdown the computer and leave it off for a few minutes I can start it back up and request a Memory Diagnostic test. This test will then complete with several passes, showing absolutely no errors.

I have taken this testing further, testing each 4GB stick seperately in slot 1, and then again in slot 3 with the same results.

As it would be unlikely for both sticks of RAM to have the same issue I believe this discounts the RAM as being the root cause. Same with the slots on the motherboard. Does this mean the CPU's memory controller is the most likely suspect, or is there another explanation? My BIOS is set to all defaults, with nothing overclocked.

These are my systems specifications:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4590
  • Motherboard: ASRock B85M-Pro4
  • Memory: 8G Kit 1600 Patriot Signature Line CAS 11
  • GPU: Gigabyte R9 290 4GB
  • PSU: Fractal Design Integra M 550W

Make sure that you have set the motherboards bios properly for the hardware that you have installed, and post any minidumps by going to C:\windows\minidump. Select all the .dmp files and right-click sending these files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload this folder as a file here

I've only had a couple BSOD since reformatting my computer due to failing a system check a few days ago. (Been trying to avoid them by catching it in a Memory Diagnostic Test) I'll upload the only minidump here. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 041915-6000-01.zip
    25.4 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for your advice :) The boot device seems to be very unlikely to be the issue, as a MemTest86 run off a USB will show issues with the RAM after the quick re-booting procedure mentioned in my first post.

I've decided to call either ASRock or Patriot Tech Support, go through the issue with them in case there's something I've missed. After that I'll probably end up sending back the motherboard under warranty as it seems to be the most likely suspect.

Will probably do this in a month or so after I've finished playing GTA V though, because as long as I start it up in the correct way the system runs with no issues.

Back