Unusual thumb drive behavior

Ok this is a strange problem that I came across. my 2tb thumb drive is holding all of my backup information. it will open all folders, documents, pictures etc.. on original computer from witch I have uploaded them, but when I plug it into a different computer only 5% of the folders actually show any items in them the rest are shown as empty folders. and when I put it back to the original computer all the folders still contain everything!
as normal the original computer still has all of its files. I just don't understand how this is possible?

this is not my first thumb drive that I own so I know this is not normal...

and its not like the missing items are specifically back up only... most are documents or pictures of projects for example: a file named "photos" has a copy of all the photos/screenshots to all the software programs for an easy find and record keeping, but when I open it- its empty... while my "how to grow my business" folder contains all of its original data on both the computer and the drive. and can be seen on any computer!

please explain how I can see everything like it normally does!

Have you worked with NTFS permissions before?

for every folder in the root of the thumb drive
  • right click -> properties
  • click the Security Tab
  • click the Edit button
  • click Add
  • add the name EVERYONE; click ok and again ok
  • click advanced button
  • select Everyone ; click edit
  • CLEAR [ ] Inheritable
  • change Apply to: folders & files
  • [x] allow full control
  • click ok & ok;
You should get access no matter where you insert the drive

YEP - - it's a FAT32 file system and the ACL's are only available on NTFS - - sorry.

Back