Upcoming Cortana-powered 'GLAS' smart thermostat will feature Google Assistant and Alexa...

Polycount

Staff

Yesterday, we reported that Amazon and Microsoft's year-long smart assistant partnership was finally bearing fruit. The two companies have worked together to bring their Cortana and Alexa virtual assistants to each other's devices.

Windows 10-powered PCs, for example, let users access Alexa, and Cortana can be called from any Echo device. This partnership doesn't seem to benefit users in any meaningful way, though - Alexa can already answer virtually any question Cortana can and vice versa.

Regardless, the partnership is developing even further soon. Microsoft is teaming up with both Amazon and Google to bring their respective virtual assistants to the upcoming Cortana-powered GLAS thermostat, created by Johnson Controls.

This may seem like yet another pointless deal at first, but there's a method to Microsoft's madness - Google Home and Amazon Echo devices dominate the smart speaker market right now, so making GLAS more accessible to both company's customers could boost the thermostat's sales considerably.

The GLAS thermostat, for the unaware, boasts a few unique features. It can monitor indoor and outdoor air quality, and automatically select the best temperature for your home at any given time based on your previous habits, potentially saving you money in the long run.

If this new assistant partnership sounds like something you want to test for yourself, you can pre-order a GLAS directly from the official Johnson Controls website for $319. The device is expected to ship out on August 24.

Permalink to story.

Great news! I'm a huge Microsoft fan, but this amazing looking thermostat would have been DOA without support for Alexa and/or Google Home as well. I would have purchased one of these, but it took to long to come to market. I have 2 ecobee3 Lite's and they're amazing devices.

Good for Microsoft in the long run, considering the GLAS thermostat is powered by Windows 10 IoT Core. The $319 price point could be an issue however. Higher than both ecobee & Nest, although it does look far better.

Last edited:
This is great, but there's a problem. Almost no one stands at their thermostat to make changes, it's all done via app, there are no details about the application used to manage it.

For $319, thats a hard sell to any Nest owner.

I have a simple programmable thermostat with a touch-screen interface. Why would I want something different? I just do not get these things. A thermostat is not something that I need to constantly adjust. It does that all on a schedule, and works great. It even adjusts itself for daylight time.

That said, has any IoT manufacturer bothered to pay attention to security issues?

With an accompanying phone app you don't even need a thermostat with a screen of face unless your internet connection gets disconnected all the time like mine! with $319 you can buy three (3) decent WiFi thermostats....

Back