Updated: Amazon accidentally (didn't) leak PlayStation 4 Neo pricing, launch date

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Update: Sony has said that the listing in question was meant for its PlayStation VR, not the Neo. A "poor choice of wording has led it to be misreported as Neo," the spokesperson said.

Sony confirmed last month that it is indeed working on a more powerful version of its PlayStation 4 console. Codenamed Neo, the device unfortunately didn’t make an appearance at E3 which was a bit of a disappointment when you consider rumors point to a late-2016 release.

Most believe Sony will instead unveil the new console at the Tokyo Game Show in September but that’s a discussion for another time.

Amazon’s Spanish portal over the weekend certainly didn’t help Sony’s desire to keep the device’s details a secret as a product page for the Neo briefly appeared online. The listing was promptly removed but not before news outlets scraped the pertinent details.

According to Entertainment.ie, the PlayStation Neo will debut on October 13 at a price of €399.99, or around $450 USD. At that price, one would hope the console comes with a VR headset as that’s quite a bit of money for a barebones kit.

Late last week, a 42-page presentation for the PlayStation Neo made its way to the web. Although unconfirmed, the document appears to be the source of multiple earlier leaks that detailed target specs and that sort of thing.

The presentation also noted that games released from October 2016 should support both the current PS4 and the PS4 Neo, a date that lines up perfectly with the leaked Amazon launch date.

Permalink to story.

Uh 450 is a very reasonable price for anything able to game in that range, and there's no way that includes a decent VR headset

what range is that? 4k? it doesn't say that, and when a 1070 alone costs nearly $400 or so, (I am in the other camp so I'm not sure), I don't know why anyone would think that.
$450 with the VR gear? maybe with a camera, and the handheld thingys.

Uh 450 is a very reasonable price for anything able to game in that range, and there's no way that includes a decent VR headset
Ikr? Was skimming this article to find the date and price, and saw it was thinking, "obviously Oct 13th that is when vr releases after all." And then saw the price and was thinking, "wow that is actually pretty decent for what this is" then saw them talking about how high a price it was and mentioning they would hope vr comes with it abd was very confused. I mean, taking out PSVRs base price from this the system itself would have to be $50. Did they really expect it to cost $50? Taking the launch bundle (which I am super glad I got my preorder in day one btw, those things sell out in minutes now...) the system is now -$50. So of course it isn't coming with vr. PSVR itself comes with an upgrade to upgrade your PS4 to basically this. And for that matter it is still cheaper then the Xbox One was at it's release about 3 years back, and that thing waa a failure. (Note: I love the x360 and all, it is my personal favourite of the last gen systems. Also I own an Xbox One sadly enough. Sunset Overdrive was just to amazing to pass up. So not a PS fanboy just can see that it and the Wii U are clear winners this gen. Lol)
Anyways, this was the first Techspot article I have ever read, and they have not made a good first impression with this nonsense.
And sorry for the super long reply, tis just how I do. I hope y'all have a wonderful day. :)

Aint that cheaper than when the PS4 first came out or if not virtually the same. And seeing as the VR headset is 350 do you really think you would see one bundled.
Actually PS4 originally sold for $400. It is cheaper then the Xbox one though when it first came out, as Xbox one was $500. But yes, virtually the same. It is basically an upgraded version of that $400 ps4 after all. So basically $50 for an upgrade.
And agreed with everything else you said. Taking out PSVRs base price from the $450 the new upgraded system would have to be only $50. As PSVR sells for $400, with the launch bundle that comes with everything you would almost ever need to play at $500.
Anyways, I hope you have a wonderful day! :)

Actually PS4 originally sold for $400. It is cheaper then the Xbox one though when it first came out, as Xbox one was $500. But yes, virtually the same. It is basically an upgraded version of that $400 ps4 after all. So basically $50 for an upgrade.
And agreed with everything else you said. Taking out PSVRs base price from the $450 the new upgraded system would have to be only $50. As PSVR sells for $400, with the launch bundle that comes with everything you would almost ever need to play at $500.
Anyways, I hope you have a wonderful day! :)

:p

I just hate made up bullshit currency conversions. When you see it for sale in the states for $400 and then you see it in the UK for £400 and Sony (and every other tech company) blame it on the exchange rates which is utter crap. £400 is about $530, 6 months ago it was about 630 and in 2014 is was about $700. That's why many tech companies have increased prices by 10% following brexit. Not because they had to, but the highly lucrative UK market wasn't making as much as the past and they want to make sure to appease directors and shareholders. In the UK we should be paying currently about £300 maybe 350 tops for this new PS4, its pure bloody greed from these huge conglomerate companies!

:p

I just hate made up bullshit currency conversions. When you see it for sale in the states for $400 and then you see it in the UK for £400 and Sony (and every other tech company) blame it on the exchange rates which is utter crap. £400 is about $530, 6 months ago it was about 630 and in 2014 is was about $700. That's why many tech companies have increased prices by 10% following brexit. Not because they had to, but the highly lucrative UK market wasn't making as much as the past and they want to make sure to appease directors and shareholders. In the UK we should be paying currently about £300 maybe 350 tops for this new PS4, its pure bloody greed from these huge conglomerate companies!
Truth. I don't really know much about how all that works in the U.K. but I have heard and seen the U.K. get screwed a lot by many video game companies. I know conversions are always stupid and cost more, and that most games actually release late, or even not at all there. So apologies to our U.K. Gamer brethren to how gaming companies treat them.
Anyways, I hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Back