Updating BIOS to handle AMD 64 processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

1337 n00b

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question i cant find and answer to...

Im going to order the parts for my new computer soon

Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe SLi Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+
1Gb Corsair XMS PC3200
120Gb Seagate Barracuda ATA-100
BFG GeForce 7800GT OC 256MB GPU (ebay for £260) retail around £400 :)

Basically thats it, i've read on the net that i need a BIOS update for the mobo so it can handle the processor.
so the question, will the mobo handle the processor while i update the BIOS?
then work perfectly after.
If not, how do i update the BIOS.
Cheers

Hello

Be careful of buying the graphics card off Ebay!! buying some parts for pc's on ebay can end in a problem, for example they dont work or they are broken already!

In reply to your question i think that u will be ok with the processor in the mobo well u update the bios. However i am not really shure about this so it would be best to wait for more replies!

Gpu

Sorry i diddnt say, i've already bought the GPU off ebay

I bought it Boxed and brand new, the seller had 100% +ve Feedback, looks fine in the box, havent tested it yet obviously, cos i havent got the rest of the computer.

Why don't you just get a MoBo which already supports the CPU without a bios update? Also you're gonna have a powerful dual core system, but you're only going to use an ATA/100 hard drive? get a 7,200RPM SATA hard drive

Baltan said:
Be careful of buying the graphics card off Ebay!! buying some parts for pc's on ebay can end in a problem, for example they dont work or they are broken already!
Yes, that can happen, but not very often. If you have a brain, then common sense will tell you whether to buy from that seller or not.

I have been buying computer parts off Ebay for years now, you won't find better deals anywhere else, so if anybody is worried about being burned, then here's some tips:

1. Read an Ebay seller's feedback, it will tell you all you need to know about the seller, for instance if 5,000 people all said the "part works great, just as described", then you'll be fine. If you buy from Joe-shmoe junk parts with 50 negatives or no feedback at all, then you're asking to get burned. Sellers who sell crap products advertise their items as "untested" or "as-is", you can get awesome deals this way, but you have to risk that it may not work.

2. Read the auction listing to see if the parts are brand new or used, and whether or not the seller will exept a refund or exchange if for some reason it doesn't work.

Can Anyone Help

i've read on the net that i need a BIOS update for the mobo so it can handle the processor.
so the question, will the mobo handle the processor while i update the BIOS?
then work perfectly after.
If not, how do i update the BIOS.
Cheers

Can Anyone Help?
I should be ok, Shouldant i?

It will depend on what revision your X2 4200 CPU is. If it is the E4 you should be OK as it was supported since bios version 1010. But if yours is the E6, you MAY have some problems as it is only supported in bios 1013 and up.

And unfortunately, there is no way to tell until you receive the parts (unless you can phone the dealer you ordered from and ask them to confirm).

Worse case scenario is that your motherboard's bios will be older, and your CPU will be the revision E6 model. It may not boot up in that case. You would need to "borrow" a different 939 cpu in order to upgrade your bios I believe. Someone else may have a workaround on this....?

DonNagual pretty much has it covered. At this late date I would gues that the mobo would ship with an X2 ready BIOS revision, especially if you are buying from a high volume retailer like Newegg.

I was unaware that 1011 wouldn't support the E6 revision of the 4200X2. Possibly it will boot with the E6 but you'll need to flash to 1013 to fully utilize the CPU. Don do you know the answer to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back