Using 2 laptops on a LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

me(who else?)

I recently had a buddy of mine over to play some games over my wireless LAN. Turns out we both have identical laptops ;) . Anyways, when he turned on his W-LAN card, neither of our connections worked. His computer said there was an IP address conflict, so I ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew ed a few times on both machines, to no avail. This isn't an imediate concern, but it might get hairy if I don't fix it (especially if I decide to have a LAN party :dead: ). Thanks in Advance.

Look in your network settings. Most likely you will find that both your laptops have 192.168.0.1 as IP-address, and 255.255.255.0 as subnet. Even the Default Gateway may be the same!
The IP's should be different like 0.1 and 0.2 in the end.

Also, to connect 2 PCs/laptops only, you will need a different cat5-cable, not the normal straight/patch cable but a cross-over cable.

Finally, you will need to enter each other's UserID/password in the User-area and make shared HD etc. available.

How can Ichange my network settijngs? Like I said, i tried disconnecting and reconmnecting and releasing my IP address and refreshing it, but my router still assigns both laptops the same IP. As for wiring laptops, I plug 2 Cat5 cables into my router (it has 4 slots to plug in CAT5 cables, as well as a wireless transmitter).

Check your router settings. Maybe it has been set to allocate only one IP at a time.

Uh-oh!

There's only one problem...I can't remember the password for my router. I think I know the password, but I can't remeber what the default user's name is. I had the password saved in my Netscape password manager, but I had to wipe my cache to fix a problem I was having. Does anybody have a D-LINK, or do they know how I can reset the software on the router?

Everybody knows that the default login and password for a D-link is "admin" and no password.

If you never changed that, you are asking to be hacked!

I changed the password and I set up an another account on it, but I couldn't remember the username. Now I just gotta figure out which pass I used.

edit: I got it. Unfortunately, I don't see any settings which control how many laptops could be connected wirelessly. It has a setting for channels, will that work(right now it's set to 6),or will it improve my preformance to change it?

Is there an option to set the IP range of allocated adresses ? Something that would allow you to allocate IPs from 192.168.0.2 -> 192.168.0.6 for example.

Nope, nothing like that...the setup is a very basic web based interface...all the LAN came with was an instruction manual disk and the router, which has the setup software loaded into it.

Can you verify that both laptops are set up to receive a dynamic IP address, instead of having a static one assigned? You could try assigning an address on the default segment to each laptop (different ones of course) and see if that alleviates the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back