Verizon: We do not pull the plug on excessive pirates (updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

In a discussion with Broadband Reports, Verizon spokeswoman Bobbi Henson said she was misquoted in a CNET article yesterday, which claimed that the company has disconnected repeat pirates from the Internet. Henson told BBR that she is unaware of Verizon ever terminating anyone's account for excessive consumption, although it reserves the right to discontinue service.

"That part of the CNET story is wrong… I did not say 'we've cut people off'; I said we reserve the right to do so," Henson said. She continued by adding that, "this is not an automatic 'three strikes' graduated response program," and it has not resulted in the termination of any Verizon customer's service. Henson also reiterated that Verizon has no bandwidth caps.

We don't know whether CNET really misreported Henson's words, but pulling the plug on users doesn't seem particularly beneficial to Verizon. The legal repercussions would be an expensive nuisance, and many subscribers would switch to another ISP. It seems more likely that the company relies solely on scare tactics, and not an iron fist. What do you think?

Update: CNET has responded to the fiasco with an article supporting its original piece. From the outside looking in, it seems like Henson either provided CNET with incorrect information or simply divulged too many details. When the site asked Verizon directly if it has ever disconnected anyone from its service for copyright violations, the company declined to comment.

Permalink to story.

Figured as much, she said to much in the CNET article and is now backpedaling. BBR pretty much sums up a lot of the issues with doing this. Thanks for updating the article :) .

why do you cry about 250GB?
i live far far away and have 50GB limit+ 20GB bonus
its far more than i need, need really need to do a LOT of pirating for 70-250gb,

we'll just say that some of us are on the internet alot, and stuff just adds up. that's why some people need more than 250G

a) Don't use the Lord's name in vain and b) offenders (thieves) should be sent to a Somali jail or worse.

Well it's either Verizon or Comcast. And Comcast has the 250GB limit. So, where do we all go? WHERE IS JESUS?
While google has some replies to the question "where is Jesus?",
"where do we all go? " has two conditional answers.
A Bible reader would already know "WHERE IS JESUS?", but do you really think He cares about this kind of stuff given current world circumstances?

(sorry; just couldn't resist)

Guest said:
its far more than i need, need really need to do a LOT of pirating for 70-250gb,

So because 50gb is beyond anything you ever use, that must mean anyone who uses more is a pirate? Please...in the age of streaming HD video that can be hit monthly if not exceeded by those who use it for everything. Bandwidth caps are nothing more then a ruse for cable companies to protect there television revenue.

Guest said:

Not really. I thankfully have no limit and have 100Mbit/100Mbit line i easy pass 170GB a week

lots of streaming HD video, downloading distrubutions, downloading games or demos for the Xbox 360 (they can be 3 - 6 GB a piece). Constant online radio, ...

dont say i dont download stuff I'm not suppose to, but you dont have to to pass that small limit

Relic said:
Bandwidth caps are nothing more then a ruse for cable companies to protect there television revenue.

Not only that. It also saves them money on not building proper netoworks..

Sad but true. :/

JudaZ said:
Relic said:
Bandwidth caps are nothing more then a ruse for cable companies to protect there television revenue.

Not only that. It also saves them money on not building proper netoworks..

Sad but true. :/

Indeed. Why spend those growing yearly profits to help consumers when they can reduce use of there network and grow there profits even more!

Whoever wrote that article needs to be fired immediately. You can put the milk back in the bottle. Verizon is definitely hurt by that statement and now CNET if you read the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back