Vertical lines on screen during windows and BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

milky

I am having a problem with an Inspiron 8200. i was given this laptop with a complaint about lines on the screen and then no screen at all. So I immediately hooked it up to an external monitor and booted windows. sure enough, the lines (and what is almost like static) were there on the external monitor. They seemed to flicker as the cable was wiggled so I thought there might be something loose going on with the video card connection.
Took the laptop home, took it apart down to and including the video card. cleaned out all the dirt and dust then put it all back together again. Booted windows and everything was fine. Excited I had fixed it, I called the guy up explained that I had fixed it and asked if there was anything else he wanted me to do with it and he did want me to clean it up.
so the next day (laptop left on overnight) i went to the laptop to work on it and to my surprise the lines were back. rebooted and there was no video at all. rebooted again and the video was back but with lines and only filling up like half of the laptop lcd.
Nothing is loose, but the lines seem to flicker just from tapping on the laptop palmrest.
the problem sounds similar to this post: https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/win...what-happens-when-a-video-card-overheats.html
but there was no solution other than to replace the video card nor was anyone able to verify that the root of the problem is overheating of the video card.

is anyone familiar with such an issue? is it in-fact due to overheating?

Not familiar with this situation per say, but you've done what you could, and yes, I'd replace that video card, if even possible.

Laptops having heat issues, not a new phenomenon, have to blame that models engineers for that, so the fans in that laptop are in tip top shape still?

Nature of the beast 8(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back