Video card problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tribalfears

I recently built a pc for my girlfriend, we bought all new parts. It was working fine at her parent's house...but she just moved into her new apartment, and now all the sudden the video card (PNY Geforce FX 5200 AGP) does not want to work. I loaded Windows Vista as her OS, but when I download the drivers from PNY.com, the setup utility says this machine isn't running Vista, so installation exits. The cd that came with the card is for up to XP.

The BIOS is American MegaTrends, and doesn't allow for disabling on-board video...it automatically does it when a video card is installed to the AGP slot.

When the PNY card is installed, windows will boot up till the splash screen and the monitor goes into "power saving mode". When it's not installed, and I use the on-board video...everything works fine. Except, I can't load Safe Mode, it will freeze up at loading "crcdisk.dll or .exe" (whichever file extension it is).

My main concern right now is the video card. What can I do to fix this!?

Were the drivers to the PNY card successfully installed at any time? Assuming nothing has else has changed, this problem could be caused by a bad video card.

I would use another card, if possible, and try installing that. If this works, there is a problem with the PNY card's hardware and/or software. If the same problem occurs with the different card, it is a hardware or software problem with your computer.

If you have no spare parts available, I recommend installing the PNY card and attempting a fresh install of windows vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back