Video controller (VGA compatible)

Hi, guys.
I have a problem that seems to be slowing down my already-crap of a PC. A message keeps popping up with New Hardware Found: Video Controller (VGA compatible) and telling me to install some drivers after I somehow unplugged and re-plugged my monitor cable.

Backround information:
So I did some homework, went on the PCI database site, and searched for the vendor and device numbers (VEN_1106 and DEV_7205). Link to site: http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=648

It gave me a link to it (http://downloads.viaarena.com/WinXPE/May05/xpesp2_km400_16944216_xp_wishld_logod_v20.zip), I downloaded it, but I'm too incompetent to take the next step required. I extracted it with winrar and spent 5 minutes searching for the setup or install button, but the only application seems to be VTTimer...

I then downloaded DeviceDoctor and it told me should download a VIA Fast Ethernet Compatable Adapter (I don't even know if the two are related), and so I did. Nothing happened.

SO. I guess I'm asking is the part about PCI database what I'm suppose to be doing? Am I doing it right? If so, how do I install the bastard?
Did I f*ck up by using Device Doctor and downloading some random driver? (It was telling me to download a bunch of other things that didn't match the brand of my products...)
How do I keep my drivers updated?
What2do?

Really appreciate your time, guys, and thanks in advance!

If it helps:
I have an AOC monitor

<snip>
It gave me a link to it (http://downloads.viaarena.com/WinXPE/May05/xpesp2_km400_16944216_xp_wishld_logod_v20.zip), I downloaded it, but I'm too incompetent to take the next step required. I extracted it with winrar and spent 5 minutes searching for the setup or install button, but the only application seems to be VTTimer...
<snip>
No worries. The solution for that case is not at all obvious. [FONT=Arial]See How to Install a Driver when there's no Installation .EXE file to run[/FONT]
SO. I guess I'm asking is the part about PCI database what I'm suppose to be doing? Am I doing it right? If so, how do I install the bastard?
Did I f*ck up by using Device Doctor and downloading some random driver? (It was telling me to download a bunch of other things that didn't match the brand of my products...)
How do I keep my drivers updated?
1. PCI database is a useful tool to help identify the device vendor and the device actually is. (e.g. a video chip vs. an Ethernet/network adapter). PCI database doesn't usually include the driver for a device tho in your case I see it did).

Example of how PCI database might help: you have a Dell computer so go to the Dell website and look up your computer model for drivers. And you find Dell lists 4 different drivers for 4 different video cards they have used in that machine!! PCI database would help identify which one is actually in your computer so you know which one to select

2. Those driver update tools can be helpful but also problematic. They will identify every driver matching a hardware ID but all drivers it finds isn't necessarily a fit for your OS or your hardware. Best advice is "If it ain't broke don't try to fix it" meaning only look for missing drivers. Trying to find the "correct" driver update can be a crap shoot

3. Number 2) above also means always create a system restore point before trying a driver you aren't sure of. At least it helps you back it out if the driver isn't right and causes problems

Hope that helps :)

Erhhh, I installed the driver, but there are still some issues. I'm not too sure what the problem is, but when I try to run programs that are more 'intensive', such as Warcraft III, there is a very noticable drop in FPS (I think that's the correct term?).

Any advice?

Edit: Woops, wrong section :( Sorry.

Well it sounds like your using a graphics controller, which is not an actual card..not meant for gaming. at all. Not even sorta. So yea, itd be causing low FPS's.

Back