Viotek GFT27DB Review: Best TN Gaming Monitor Ever?

Julio Franco

Staff member

Following up to our best value FreeSync monitors feature, we though this review would be ideal. Today we're looking at the Viotek GFT27DB which is a brand new display release, sporting a new TN panel (ideal for gamers) that promises a lot on paper. Having reviewed several Viotek displays in the last year, we've been consistently impressed with the value proposition, so we are hoping nothing changes here in that respect.

Read the full article here.

When you say 'works perfectly with G-Sync' I'd advise readers to take that recommendation with a HUGE amount of salt.

I've just had to return one of the new Gigabyte 27inch Aorus monitors after reading similar claims about it. In numerous games (Dishonored 2, Wolfenstein 2, Doom) all Id-Tech Rage engine games BTW, the monitor would just go a to a blank screen, with no way of getting back to the desktop, forcing me to do a soft restart from my front case reset button and then it would not boot back into Windows because the monitor would not initialise the screen, which then forced me to do a hard shut down and power up to get back into windows. And on numerous occasions just doing a restart from the Windows desktop would result in the same issue...

So, be VERY careful about buying these so called Freesync (G-Sync compatible) displays.

If you want G-Sync....buy a G-Sync display.

When you say 'works perfectly with G-Sync' I'd advise readers to take that recommendation with a HUGE amount of salt.

I've just had to return one of the new Gigabyte 27inch Aorus monitors after reading similar claims about it. In numerous games (Dishonored 2, Wolfenstein 2, Doom) all Id-Tech Rage engine games BTW, the monitor would just go a to a blank screen, with no way of getting back to the desktop, forcing me to do a soft restart from my front case reset button and then it would not boot back into Windows because the monitor would not initialise the screen, which then forced me to do a hard shut down and power up to get back into windows. And on numerous occasions just doing a restart from the Windows desktop would result in the same issue...

So, be VERY careful about buying these so called Freesync (G-Sync compatible) displays.

It's NOT G-Sync compatible... and that was never claimed... I think your confusion stems from the recent Nvidia drivers that allow their cards to be compatible with FREESYNC.

Check out Techspot's article on it, and you'll probably find an easy fix for your problem, as enabling Freesync on Nvidia cards isn't quite as seemless as it should be,

It's NOT G-Sync compatible... and that was never claimed...

Amazon:
VIOTEK GFT27DB 27-Inch WQHD Gaming Monitor with Speakers, 1440p 144Hz 1ms, FreeSync & Works w/G-SYNC...

Amazon:
VIOTEK GFT27DB 27-Inch WQHD Gaming Monitor with Speakers, 1440p 144Hz 1ms, FreeSync & Works w/G-SYNC...
yeah... that title should be taken down. Both Viotek and this article make no such claims. It's a FREESYNC monitor... some Nvidia cards support it, but it is NOT G-SYNC.

Edit: Not sure where you found that - but I just searched Amazon and every Viotek monitor says Freesync not G-Sync... what country are you searching in? Either way, it's simply an error in the title.

yeah... that title should be taken down. Both Viotek and this article make no such claims. It's a FREESYNC monitor... some Nvidia cards support it, but it is NOT G-SYNC.

Edit: Not sure where you found that - but I just searched Amazon and every Viotek monitor says Freesync not G-Sync... what country are you searching in? Either way, it's simply an error in the title.

Clearly you didn't do any research before making bogus claims.
Amazon.ca and wait for it.... Viotek.com.

Clearly you didn't do any research before making bogus claims.
Amazon.ca and wait for it.... Viotek.com.
Wow... didn't check the Viotek website - you are correct... now that is false advertising, as it is NOT a G-Sync monitor, whatever they claim. What I suspect they MEAN, but have lied about, is that Freesync is compatible with Nvidia cards... Someone should let them know they are false advertising.

Wow... didn't check the Viotek website - you are correct... now that is false advertising, as it is NOT a G-Sync monitor, whatever they claim. What I suspect they MEAN, but have lied about, is that Freesync is compatible with Nvidia cards... Someone should let them know they are false advertising.

NVIDIA allows it now through their drivers. No module is inside.

NVIDIA allows it now through their drivers. No module is inside.
exactly - Nvidia allows freesync... but it’s false advertising to state that this monitor “works with g-sync”.

It does no such thing, and I wonder if they are going to face a lawsuit down the road... I wonder how many other monitors will be claiming the same thing now that Nvidia supports Freesync...

exactly - Nvidia allows freesync... but it’s false advertising to state that this monitor “works with g-sync”.
That is only true, if you don't think of their software as G-Sync. I've often heard the phrase that G-Sync requires special hardware in the monitor. Looking at it in that perspective it is not the hardware that is G-Sync.

That is only true, if you don't think of their software as G-Sync. I've often heard the phrase that G-Sync requires special hardware in the monitor. Looking at it in that perspective it is not the hardware that is G-Sync.
Except to make an Nvidia card work with this monitor, you'd have to enable FREESYNC. not G-Sync on the GPU... which means that even if it IS software, they're lying.

I suspect what they will claim they "meant" to put was "compatible with G-Sync CARDS"... since those cards are now all Freesync compatible too... of course, that's only the more recent Nvidia cards...

It does no such thing, and I wonder if they are going to face a lawsuit down the road... I wonder how many other monitors will be claiming the same thing now that Nvidia supports Freesync...

lol You're funny.

Back