Vista Home - Comp won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacredrelics

Hello, first time post here. I have a home built gaming pc I made about a month ago and today it randomly restarted and now won't go into vista. I have more then enough power for this PC. All the fans and lights go on and so do the keyboard/mouse LEDs, but the monitor just stays black and doesn't boot into windows at all. Shouldn't be an overheating issue since I monitor the temps, but the case is pretty crowded I suppose.

Any help would be appreciative. Ask if you need anymore info. Thanks a bunch.

Okay I did everything that the link in your post suggested, Including rebuilding the whole thing. It booted up for a bit. Was missing the Boot Mgr. Then it went back to my original problem. Grrrrr this is annoying. Any more help please?

The only thing I didn't put in that Tutorial was replacing parts (except I mentioned PowerSupply)

But before you do, try this
Unplug all fans (except PowerSupply :) )
Including CPU fan (but be ready to pull the power out! All we want to see is if will boot up (for a few seconds)
Failing that it's Benchtest (you have done) with nothing connected (um done again) and start swapping parts (oh yeah not done) like PSU; Ram; addon Video. etc etc

You did follow the guide throughout? Reseat CPU; Benchtest all cables and hardware out...?

Crap, I did miss a few steps out in the guide you gave me. Wasn't paying enough attention. I'll go back and redo a bench test tomorrow. Hope I don't have to replace a part, can't really afford that right now with the economy how it is. I'll update sometime tomorrow.

(The unplug all fan test didn't work)

Damn !

Please let me know how it went with the toot (I mean Tutorial !)
I haven't had enough feedback yet :(

Okay, sorry it took so long Kimsland. Had stuff to do. So I took it all out once more, unplugged EVERYTHING. Reseat the CPU etc. Have only the cpu, gpu, and ram plugged in with a keyboard and a monitor and it still won't boot up into POST. Have pics if you want to see. This is getting annoying =(

Lights on the motherboard lite up btw, but the cpu fan wasn't running at all.

EDIT: forgot to mention I add my HD plugged in as well.

Well then I have to wait since I have no onboard video and I have no replacement parts to test out with. Nor any cash to buy replacements. Guess I'll take it in somewhere later, have them test parts and tell me whats busted.

PowerSupply is a good start
Sometimes people have older computers lying about, if your able to, borrow their PowerSupply (I've used 250Watt PowerSupplies even, just for testing)

Good luck, please let us know the outcome

Closest place I can get a hold of some parts (just moved here so I have no buddies yet) is when I get back into school for Network Technician so maybe I can borrow some parts. Whenever I get to test it out, I'll come back and post for you. Thanks for all the help so far.

EDIT: Would testing the PSU with a voltmeter be decent enough? Or not quite at the possible issue? Might be able to get my hands on one of those.

Power Supply Tester

The power supply testers I have used plug into the main 20pin (or 24pin on newer sytems) power connector and have some indicator or good/bad power. Some testers also test other leads, but the main 20 or 24pin power connector is the important one to test. If the power supply is ok, the power supply will power up when the tester is connected, and the tester will give an indication of good power. If the power supply won't power up or you get bad readouts, then the power supply is bad. The power supply can be left in the case, just disconnect the main 20 or 24 pin power connector from the motherboard and put the tester on it. Of course, the power supply needs to be connected to AC power to be tested...

Here is one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899705002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back