Volvo let a 4-year-old remotely 'drive' one of its trucks, chaos ensues

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Kids (and adults) of all ages have a fascination with construction equipment and big trucks in general – it’s why toymakers like Tonka have been around for ages. Heck, there’s even a company in Las Vegas that’ll let you play around with the machines you see on construction sites (for a fee, of course).

For children, however, the options are a bit more limited… unless you happen to be a 4-year-old girl named Sophie.

To demonstrate the sturdiness and mobility of its FMX truck, Volvo rigged one up to drive remotely and handed the controls over to the youngster for a spin on its obstacle course. Sure, it’s just a commercial (and who knows if the kid was actually driving) but tell me it doesn't look fun!

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

"and who knows if the kid was actually driving"

So obviously she is not in control it's not funny, when she looks away and the truck rolls over down the hill and perfectly lands on it's wheels, right. Then they mention at the end of the video, closed course, professional driver, nuff said. Also worth noting, if anyone has ever watch Adam and Jamie radio control full sized vehicles you'd know right away it takes finesse and a delicate touch, as soon as you see the 4 year jamming on the controls you know it's not connected to anything. Just a bunch of clever editing and marketing bullocks. Take away the 4 year old and I might have found the video interesting and or worth something, like this, it just screams stupid at me.

Sophie should have her own TV reality series..."Sophie Tries to Break Stuff".(y)

Next up, from legendary Swedish automaker Saab, "The Draken". (Fully armed, of course)...;)
saab-35-draken-920-36.jpg

...[ ].... Then they mention at the end of the video, closed course, professional driver, nuff said....[ ].....
Which is nothing but car commercial disclaimer boilerplate which basically says, "don't try this at home kids".

"and who knows if the kid was actually driving"

So obviously she is not in control it's not funny, when she looks away and the truck rolls over down the hill and perfectly lands on it's wheels, right. Then they mention at the end of the video, closed course, professional driver, nuff said. Also worth noting, if anyone has ever watch Adam and Jamie radio control full sized vehicles you'd know right away it takes finesse and a delicate touch, as soon as you see the 4 year jamming on the controls you know it's not connected to anything. Just a bunch of clever editing and marketing bullocks. Take away the 4 year old and I might have found the video interesting and or worth something, like this, it just screams stupid at me.
When I was learning how to fly RC planes I had an instructor who could override my flight commands if I made a misstake so they same could be applied to this video she might of gave general direction queues but the real driving could have been done by someone else

Fk me Adhmuz is the most miserable person commenting on these stories. And I thought that title would go to me...

Swine. It may be stupid, but humans are. Lighten up. Lots of crap has been staged in life, many people know it, and see it for what it is. Chill the fook out and have a cookie!

Fk me Adhmuz is the most miserable person commenting on these stories. And I thought that title would go to me...

Swine. It may be stupid, but humans are. Lighten up. Lots of crap has been staged in life, many people know it, and see it for what it is. Chill the fook out and have a cookie!

Not miserable, just not impressed by stupid marketing ploys aimed at who exactly? 4 Year old children? Or are they suggesting the people who drive these vehicles have the equivalent mental capacity as a 4 year old and need to have a truck capable of driving through buildings and rolling down cliffs?

Just remember, if you don't like what I'm writing you don't have to read it.

How about "things happen when in places where you would have this type of vehicle and this one can take a lickin' and keep on tickin' ". It's a rugged vehicle and here's a silly example of just how rugged.

How about "things happen when in places where you would have this type of vehicle and this one can take a lickin' and keep on tickin' ". It's a rugged vehicle and here's a silly example of just how rugged.
Are you old enough to remember when they used to do strange stuff in commercials to prove the durability of Timex watches? I remember one time they strapped one to an outboard motor propeller. (And of course, fired up the motor)

The, "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" was their tag line.

Proves nothing of the kind. The whole thing is fake and all the obstacles were undoubtedly props and not that hard on the vehicle.

Are you old enough to remember when they used to do strange stuff in commercials to prove the durability of Timex watches? I remember one time they strapped one to an outboard motor propeller. (And of course, fired up the motor)

The, "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" was their tag line.

I am :) My favorite of those commercials was the Samsonite monkey jumping on the luggage.

Proves nothing of the kind. The whole thing is fake and all the obstacles were undoubtedly props and not that hard on the vehicle.
So what? Rambo didn't actually manage to duck thousands of bullets coming out of Afghanistan either.

How about the rollover? Do you think they had pillows under the truck which were then rotoscoped out? All I can say about that is, "thank god for fuel injection", since an engine with carburetors would have never restarted. Commercials are theater, and should be treated as such. While we're on the topic, google "Knight Rider", and find out how many Trans Ams they destroyed during the series' run. Yet every week at air time, "K.I.T.T." was as good as new.

Next you're gonna try and ruin Christmas for me, with a "Myth Busters" like attack on Santa, aren't you?`:p

Not miserable, just not impressed by stupid marketing ploys aimed at who exactly? 4 Year old children? Or are they suggesting the people who drive these vehicles have the equivalent mental capacity as a 4 year old and need to have a truck capable of driving through buildings and rolling down cliffs?

either way, you should still have a cookie! :D

You have probably hit the nail on the head there, the Finance Director who signs off on one of those probably does look at their drivers and think of a 4 year old with a destructive god complex!

Back