We Review Amazon's Best Selling Monitor: the Acer SB220Q 21.5" is just $90

Just because a product's review is stellar and garnered many accolades, doesn't translate to the best-selling product. Most people (I included) look for something that is affordable (within reason, of course). Just because the color gamut is perfect or the response time is second to none, doesn't mean I will get it discarding all my other options.

If it's affordable and good then there's no harm in getting it.

The difference between "enthusiast" level and an ordinary person's view is minimal...and non-existant with the rest of the people.

But of course, those with lots of money to burn, will blindly buy the product that has received the most excellent reviews irrespective of the difference. If it's rated at 95%, they would forego the 90%rated product at half the price.

And the "best bang for the buck" is still far off from affordability.

If I'm honest, this monitor is probably no worse (albeit smaller) than what my kid is currently playing games on. I guess it's not a biggie if you aren't used to better.

And as amghwk pointed out - it certainly is good enough for most casual users. If I look around at relatives with older PC that are still on old 19in 4:3 monitors hooked up with a VGA cable, for them it would be a huge quality boost for a low price.

Not arguing that the more expensive panels are a lot better, but to really enjoy them you need a reasonably fast CPU, definitely a mid range or better GPU.... so it all adds up in the end if you want to have a matched system where each part can deliver what it was made for.

Just because a product's review is stellar and garnered many accolades, doesn't translate to the best-selling product. Most people (I included) look for something that is affordable (within reason, of course). Just because the color gamut is perfect or the response time is second to none, doesn't mean I will get it discarding all my other options.

If it's affordable and good then there's no harm in getting it.

The difference between "enthusiast" level and an ordinary person's view is minimal...and non-existant with the rest of the people.

But of course, those with lots of money to burn, will blindly buy the product that has received the most excellent reviews irrespective of the difference. If it's rated at 95%, they would forego the 90%rated product at half the price.

And the "best bang for the buck" is still far off from affordability.
I agree.
Enthusiats are throwing money in all directions and enjoying less. Casual users are spending a decent amount of money but enjoy the experience much more.
In the end, economically enthusiasts are the target of manufacturers and review outlets because they are willing to spend cash for false advertisement and small improvements (that is the case in general)

I agree.
Enthusiats are throwing money in all directions and enjoying less. Casual users are spending a decent amount of money but enjoy the experience much more.
In the end, economically enthusiasts are the target of manufacturers and review outlets because they are willing to spend cash for false advertisement and small improvements (that is the case in general)
As an enthusiast myself, I'm not sure I'd say I enjoy my experience less, it's more that I enjoy it differently.

There are more problems to troubleshoot, more work to do as far as optimizing games, researching the right products, and overclocking go, but all of that feels extremely rewarding. I never got that feeling when playing on a low-end PC or console. It doesn't mean those experiences are inferior, but they are completely different worlds.

You are right that we pay more for smaller jumps, but that's just the nature of technology in general, and it's not something I've ever been too bothered about. Just means I upgrade less frequently or need to save up for stuff.

Back