Weekend Open Forum: What is your most memorable moment in a video game?

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Final Fantasy VII, which you can still pick up for cheap, was arguably one of the most iconic video games ever produced. In fact, it was so loved, it is the only game in the series that received a direct sequel, and it might be getting the reboot that Square Enix teased fans with at E3 2015, if the company can get its act together.

There were so many memorable moments in Final Fantasy VII on the PlayStation for me that it is hard to pick just one. I remember how amazed I was when I saw the first advertisement for it. I was even more shocked when I saw an actual trailer for it, which was rare in those days of 56K dial-up internet. I remember the boss, Sephiroth making me cuss and throw my controller and taking me around four hours to finally beat him.

However, picking only one, I would have to say that the death of Aeris was my most memorable moment. Some critics considered her whole character a waste since she dies so early in the game, but for me it was genius. Not only was she integral to the story’s first act, but her powers and limit breaks were also awesome. Plus, she had a very likable personality. All of this combined with the story drew the player in, and you ended up genuinely caring about her.

So when she died in Cloud’s arms after Sephiroth struck her down, it was truly an emotional moment. Now I am not going to say I cried, but … Okay, I cried. But the point is, that moment is probably the single most memorable moment I have ever experienced in any video game.

Whether it was a boss fight, a character, the graphics, or anything else; what is your most memorable video game moment?

Permalink to story.

Memorable moments that pop into my mind seem to relate to newness. The first time I saw Mortal Kombat 2 when I walked into an arcade, the graphics looked insane. You quickly get used to it, but wow. When I passed Super Metroid for the first time, and the planet blew up. Donkey Kong Country 2, the graphics, again, the newness, out of this world. I remember as a kid playing Tiger Heli for the N.E.S., and for some reason that moment felt so alive and conscious, little kids mind playing Nintendo, still not bother by the future stress. The Sega Dreamcast graphics, and then after that, it becomes harder and harder for things to be memorable. Nowadays you don’t have such moments, but rather recognize things that are very well done.

My most memorable moment was beating the arcade laser disc game Cliff Hanger. OMG! The timing on the ninja section of that game was so hard I thought it was impossible until I got past it. If you played the game then you know what I mean. I must have spent $200 over time trying to defeat that game.

This is a tough one.

Carmageddon II: getting my car into a tiny opening inside a tower where you were never meant to go. Took me and my friend about two hrs of trying non stop. Not long after I pulled off so did he. We live to break games.

Citizen Kubuto: seeing my game get invaded by hackers who could all fly and, with a single hit, blew the giant monster I was controlling completely off the map.

Codename Eagle: God, where to start? Seeing four guys wingwalking on a bomber all blazing away with bazookas. Flying a giant airship underground. Breakdancing flame tanks. So many shennanigans..

Diablo: meleeing the Skeleton King and rapidly losing when suddenly fireballs come racing through a small space between walls, hitting him from the side and granting us victory. I miss my old friend that I had so much fun with gaming and just sharing life. He hasn't spoken to me in over a year and I have no idea why.

Total Annihilation with mods: thinking you have a pretty solid base built, and then your scouts report that the combined Mongol hordes, terminator armies and legions of hell are seconds from hitting your perimeter.

Baldur's Gate: finally beating that trio of f**king mega-OP dopplegangers in the expansion.

Serious Sam: getting on top of walls where you can snipe enemies in areas you haven't actually unlocked yet. Usually requires help of a friend who you can stand on top of while jumping :)

Star Control II: literally any part of this game. Its that good.

Warcraft II: winning ANY skirmish because the game cheats more than all the dopers in professional sports combined.

I could go on for hours, probably..

When I got the hack to reveal Elexis Sinclaire's big jugs in Sin Episodes or when I found out how to make Mona Sax nude in Max Payne 2

I was playing Cod Mw1 zombie mod. There were about 60 players on the server. All but me and some other player have become zombies. But me and some other guy did a glitch jump to one of the roofs and were holding it off. Zombie players were able to get up, but not all at once since it requires several jumps to get up. So we held the roof for about fifteen minutes running and non stop shooting the zombies that were popping up. It was the most intense moment in my gaming history. At the end people started to complain saying that we were cheating, but then they managed to finally eat my partner and I followed next.

Booting up Diablo II for the first time. I had been riding the hype train for months and when I finally got to play it, it managed to surpass my wildest expectations. I remember that in the very beginning of the game, there were these female lancers that when killed, their souls would leave their bodies and ascend to heaven. It blew me away.

This game was not only great in every aspect, but also it was very much ahead of its time.

Spy Hunter arcade.... Loved the Peter Gunn theme song as my Porsche raced with smoke screens, oil slicks and surface-to-air missiles for those pesky choppers :)

Grand Prix on floppy, winning the Italian Grand Prix (with the course shaped like a boot!) without using my brakes once!

Playing Tetris on Gameboy until 3am against a buddy on our Greece/Italy trip in high school, because he refused to stop until he won a game.... I was ranked #1 in the world at tetrinet when the online version came to the PC in the 90s :)

Spy Hunter arcade.... Loved the Peter Gunn theme song as my Porsche raced with smoke screens, oil slicks and surface-to-air missiles for those pesky choppers :)
Absolutely loved loved loved that game. My brother and I would play it for hours.

Here is mine.

1. Starcraft - Sarah Kerrigan was left behind and became the Queen.

I love the story of the original starcraft. This was the defining moment of that game where a psychic human was left behind and became the most powerful enemy in the game. The CGI were wonderful during that time.

2. Final Fantasy IX - Alexander vs Bahamut

This was my first game if the final fantasy series introduced by my brother. This scene was so cool. Worth the time to play.

3. Final Fantasy IX - THE ENDING

this was memorable because not because the ending was cool and awesome because this reminds me of my sister-in-law. My brother who was a final fantasy series lover used the english version of the song of the ending during the funeral of my sister-in-law. She died at the age of 24. This tragedy changed my brother. This is the reason why I dont play the song anymore. Fun facts: My niece and nephews were named after characters of the final fantasy series. Seifer, Rinoa and Zell.

Last edited:
Reading some of your comments refreshed my memory on some titles and those memorable moments...

Let's see. The very first one must have been playing Wolf 3d on my first or second PC, later on discovering Doom and sticking to shooters as my favorite genre for the decades to come: Duke 3d, Quake, Unreal... and so on. It all started with Wolf.

Some other memorable moments came from playing Diablo 2 and the original Far Cry.

I'm playing since '92, but my most memorable moment was when I reached level 99 in Diablo 2 on Battle.net legit. Three months of hard grinding.

Hooking up with Bastilla in KOTOR, because there is no other sexual content on the internet. Also finishing Indiana Jones and the lost city of Atlantas...this was before such things as internet guides or guide books being sold at GameStop.

FFX - The boss battle with Lady Yunalesca. I was underleveled for the fight and didn't want to backtrack to farm EXP. It took several attempts, but I was able to figure out the correct chain of actions to win the fight. If you recall, FFX had a turn indicator. I basically played that like a game of chess.

Legend of Dragoon - The Lenus boss battle. You have to switch discs after this fight and there is a bug that will cause the game to crash occasionally at the fight's conclusion. I had to fight this battle several times before managing to get past the bug and move on with the rest of the game.

Hooking up with Bastilla in KOTOR, because there is no other sexual content on the internet. Also finishing Indiana Jones and the lost city of Atlantas...this was before such things as internet guides or guide books being sold at GameStop.

That reminds me of another great moment - playing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was AWESOME!!! I still remember flying the mini-plane (getting the engine to start wasn't so simple) and then getting shot at by Nazi fighter planes.... And then "choosing wisely" at the end in order to get the grail AND keep the girl alive :)

Far Cry 2 ..... hope and despair... I chose to deliver the diamonds...https://kotaku.com/a-look-back-at-far-cry-2s-bleak-bummer-ending-1794466768

Legend of Dragoon - The Lenus boss battle. You have to switch discs after this fight and there is a bug that will cause the game to crash occasionally at the fight's conclusion. I had to fight this battle several times before managing to get past the bug and move on with the rest of the game.
Ooooo. That sucks. I hate glitches like that. That's a game breaker for me. I would not have had your persistence and patience. Good job.

Another memorable moment for me was the opening of Fallout 3. It was my first introduction to the series and I really had no idea what I was in for. The only thing I knew about the game was that it was a FPS, but that was about all. So when the old vacuum tube radio flickered to life and started belting out some old-timey tune I had never heard before as the camera panned back showing a decrepit old bus, it immediately grabbed my attention. I thought it was going to be like a WWII game. Then as the panning continued even further back showing the bus was a broken-in-half wreck against the backdrop of a destroyed Washington DC, It gave me chills. I hadn't even started playing the game and I already felt hooked in.

Side note: the tune on the radio was "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire" by The Ink Spots (1941) and it became one of my favorite songs for a while. In fact, I really enjoyed the whole soundtrack and created a playlist on Spotify that I would listen to at work. People thought I was nuts listening to that old music, but most of them said they liked it too. lol

Last edited:
Ooooo. That sucks. I hate glitches like that. That's a game breaker for me. I would not have had your persistence and patience. Good job.

Legend of the Dragoon is a cult classic. One of those games where it can throw anything at you and you still feel compelled to get to the end of the next chapter. That, or you hate it and pop in Final Fantasy.

Many a petition have been signed to get that game remade with modern graphics. Sony, sadly, is pretty hard of hearing.

Call of Duty 4, 2 moments actually.

I Almost always did knife only in CoD4. I never played the game seriously all I did was troll and I got REALLY good with knife only going 80-20 in lots matches and breaking 100 kills atleast once a night.

Kill 1)
My friend is doing C4 only. He sees me, throws the C4 I knife it mid-air and it blows up killing both of us, I get the kill.

kill 2)
Playing on Pipeline, just climbed to the top of the roof where the snipers like to sit. Someone on the ground near the trains starts shooting at me. I had no where to run so I jumped off the building trying to knife him as I feel to the ground. I land ON HIS HEAD and don't take any fall damage. Apparently there is also a cone-shaped area directly above you that you cannot fire in. I landed in the cone, wait for him to reload, jump off his head and knife him.

Passing the 2,000,000 mark on the first Tron on my nintendo ..... also a first generation ..... That was about 25 years ago!

Back