Weekend Open Forum: What type of character do you typically choose to play in video games?

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

One of my favorite genres of video game is the RPG. The reason that I like role-playing games so much is because of the variety of ways you can play them. Ironically, I almost always gravitate to one particular play style — stealth. It is also probably why I'm fond of sneaky RPGs like Styx.

Whether it is The Elder Scrolls, Fallout or some other RPG, I nearly always choose to create the sneaky thief as opposed to the mighty warrior or badass commando (at least on my first playthrough).

I love sneaking an underpowered character through a base or dungeon without getting spotted. I love the toe-curling intensity I feel as I sneak up behind a foe for a stealth kill.

What is your favorite character or approach to take in RPGs or other games that allow for a flexible play style? What is your favorite game (RPG or otherwise) to exercise that type of approach? Mine is Skyrim although Fallout 4 holds a close second.

Permalink to story.

A troll. After thinking about it it seems kind of sad that I get my kicks by trolling videogame AI but whatever....

I typically go for characters that specialize in skills that don't involve combat. I prefer to talk myself through situations when possible or hack or sneak (in the case of Fallout and Skyrim).

Nothing against combat, I just like to find creative alternate solutions for my first few playthroughs. Eventually, I do go a pure combat build, though... Every now and then, you just have to smash something's face in.

"Ironically, I almost always gravitate to one particular play style — stealth."

So do most people because of limited game design. The AIs are inevitably too dumb to present much of a challenge so for any difficulty level above "cakewalk" the devs make the enemies completely overpowered to compensate. Those of us who don't play on easy mode are eventually forced to become sneaky snipers. Ironically, even when I find that rare game in which the AI foes don't have too many unfair advantages I still end up playing a backstabbing thief. I guess the path of least resistance is just hard to resist.

Last edited:
A character that doesn't mind close range combat and setting up specialty traps and certain spells-chemicals ahead of time.
that pretty much defines me in real life.

"Full Legolas" in every game I play. No magic, no buffs. Just arrows to the face and the occasional throat slit from behind. High dexterity, ambidexterity, counters, parries, timely guards, crazy critical hit multipliers are the only ways I play. Female characters always, cause I don't want to look at a man's behind for 100+ hours.
The games that brought me most satisfaction with that type of gameplay were Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls II and Dragon Age Inquisition.

This isn't exactly the proper answer to the question (and I choose a variety of character "types"), but I always (if given the choice) create a character with long hair and beard......most likely because I have long hair and a beard :)

This is all dependent upon how well the game handles each class.

If everything is well balanced, I do one run as a warrior and one as a magic caster. For example, my “main” character in Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a warrior with a few special purpose magic skills and high persuasion. The other is a support mage geared towards extensive AOE magic.

By contrast, I’ve only played as a warrior in Skyrim on account of both stealth and magic being completely broken in that game (at least when it first came out.)

I either go towards a berserker (dual wielding swords I find pretty darn cool), or bow (sniping).

Sometimes I go back and play as a mage (if I think it plays well, like in Divinity: Original Sin 2). And sometimes I'll go stealth if it looks satisfying enough (I enjoyed the stealth in the Dishonored series).

My favorite type is Geralt of Rivia... Blaviken style.

In the first witcher game you could actually switch between sword stances. It's a shame that the 2nd and 3rd game, Geralt can only use 1 sword style.

This is all dependent upon how well the game handles each class.

If everything is well balanced, I do one run as a warrior and one as a magic caster. For example, my “main” character in Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a warrior with a few special purpose magic skills and high persuasion. The other is a support mage geared towards extensive AOE magic.

By contrast, I’ve only played as a warrior in Skyrim on account of both stealth and magic being completely broken in that game (at least when it first came out.)

Yeah, stealth has been broken in all Elder scrolls and fallout games. They have been using the same engine for ages and it's always the same thing. You shoot some guy's best friend in the face and all he does is search around the spot you shot him from. They just always know where you hit them from and you always know exactly where they are going to go, extremely boring.

Stealth is pretty lame in Divinity: Original Sin 2 as well. The only use for it is for sneaking around and looting. Otherwise the risk isn't worth the time or reward. I played a rouge in this game and just ended up going Polymorph / Rouge. Rupture / Chicken form one shot bosses before they nerfed it. Archers aren't nearly as good as they were in the first game where you could get consistent crowd control effects.

I by far like playing stealth the most but unfortunately very few games do it right. Most games either resort to cheap AI cheats where they magically know where you are and/or the stealth mechanics suck.

Mage! I cast a spell on you! Or even better - a bard. But almost always a heavy magic user - and it's rarely a divine caster.

Unless it's Morrowind - I always play warriors in Morrowind, then train them in absolutely anything, yet still don't use magic. And that's one of my favourite titles. As for the others, I'd pick Baldur's Gate 2, where wild mage is my instant pick.

In TES games my character is always a Full Metal Alchemist.

Alchemy, destruction, heavy armor, blunt, block/armor. Tossing destruction, smashing faces, and tanking my way through while supplementing with potions.

You get a fireball and a mace to the face! And you get a fireball and a mace to the face! And you!

Class is unimportant. The Waifu factor is all that matters.

I doubt that unless the game classes are pretty much on par which is "never", equally balanced, complimenting other skills one is lacking in to get the job done right.

A class that would be a good example are medic-healer recon-stealth-snipers.

Last edited:
If given the chance to make the character's physical attributes, I usually make them look like myself.

I typically favor Intelligence or supernatural power over strength.

I like to play a dexxer swordsman and stand toe to toe. I die very much so I have to back off and use mage and archer or bard skills.

Why is all this limited to RPGs? Well in any case I like to neko girls, so I play a neko girl. I like cat ears (neko mimi) and a tail. That black cat D.VA skin overwatch just released is the best ever. Got to show that black D.VA some love!

Why is all this limited to RPGs? Well in any case I like to neko girls, so I play a neko girl. I like cat ears (neko mimi) and a tail. That black cat D.VA skin overwatch just released is the best ever. Got to show that black D.VA some love!

RPGs typically offer the widest range of choices regarding playstyle and character appearance and the like.

Female characters always, cause I don't want to look at a man's behind for 100+ hours.
^^EXACTLY.^^

Yeah, stealth has been broken in all Elder scrolls and fallout games. They have been using the same engine for ages and it's always the same thing. You shoot some guy's best friend in the face and all he does is search around the spot you shot him from. They just always know where you hit them from and you always know exactly where they are going to go, extremely boring.
Completely agree. They need to retire the TES game engine and you are right the sneak/AI mechanic is dumb from range. It's part of the reason I forego bows and generally only engage in close quarters. Stealth kills or dual enchanted daggers up close. Needless to say I spend a lot of the early game just sneaking and dying a lot.

My sneak is usually maxed fairly early. Enchanting is a pain in the *** though. I hate smithing so usually I just disenchant everything I find and needlessly enchant all the other loot. Takes a while before I can get some bad *** daggers, but once I have a decent set with the 15x multiplier perk for stealth kills its OP, Which is fine because nothing is more annoying (and unrealistic) than successfully sneaking up on someone, going for the kill and having your dagger bounce off their armor taking 10% of their bar rather than sticking it in their throat for the win.

I also only play on Master difficulty. SE added Legendary and I've tried that out but OMG! It's a big jump. The biggest hurdle with Legendary is that enemies are much more aware, so sneaking doesn't always work. That and they can kill you with one or two hits. I've been spending a lot of time running away. LOL

With Fallout … Yeah, pretty hard to avoid the crappy AI while being sneaky. I usually opt for sniper/stealth and shoot from a fair distance away when possible. But yeah for Fallout stealth is more of a utility for me than and actual way of life.

Rounded, well-equipped.

My character can talk his way out of trouble, but is also happy to mix it up if that proves too hard.

The only thing I really avoid is melee and crafting.

Back