Weird RAM problem, PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Hey guys, today I got a new Radeon 9500 and i was going to install it but the ram modules were blocking the way, so I took those out, put the card in, and not knowing that one of the ram modules was not in my computer, I started it up. Everything booted up fine, download the latest drivers for the card and then I went to go benchmark it in 3DMark2001 SE. I had gotten a score of 7894 on the defaults. I realized the RAM module wasnt in my computer so I put it in, after I did another benchmark with the same settings and had gotten a score of 7634. I didn't why i got lower with 196mbs of pc133 RAM then 256mb PC133 RAM, does anyone know why and how I could fix this problem, I mean is my mobo that crappy? It's a MSI K7t Turbo 2. Please help I don't know what to do! Thx to whoever reads this and responds!

P.S. My system specs are in my profile tab
P.S.S Sorry for writing so much

Run the test again. These such benchmarking programs can really vary time to time, you may have had some antivirus program running in the 2nd try...just try it again.

Dunno why it would score in excess of 200 points lower though :confused:

Ah, after you run it the 2nd time, shut down and take the 2nd stick out again, and run the benchmark a 3rd time just to clarify that it is the extra RAM's fault.

Running Win98 or maybe Win ME? With win 98 192MB is the most ram you can run before Windows starts to slow down.

MSI K7T turbo 2 uggghhhhhhhh my friend had that board it was a nightmare all kinds of wierd behavior. crashes, system freezes drivers that would unistall themselves etc. he called me so much with his problems I was even sick of the board and it wasnt even my computer.! thank God I finally talked him into ditching it.

is the ram from the same manufacturer or is it a mix and match set? and are you certain that both modules are PC133? if one of them is PC100 then both will run at the slower speed.

Ok I ran the benchmarks again with and without the RAM and they yielded the same results, take/give 6 or 7 marks off, I even tried it with my old Radeon 7500 and I got 4229 without the RAM and 3894 with the RAM, I can post a picture if I knew how but I don't. My OS is Windows ME, so this really shouldn't happen. Iss I don't knpow what your friend had with his board, but mine works allright, EXCEPT FOR THIS RETARTED PROBLEM!!! If someone could show me how to post pics I'll show you the scores I'm getting.

P.S. the RAM modules are both PC133

the one module may be defective or the slot is. try putting the one module that gives you the highest score into the slot that the other module was in and run the benchmark. if you have a friend with PC 133 try borrowing a stick and using it and see what happens.

I once had a similar expirience with some PC 133 ram I replaced the stick causing the problem and everything was fine.

PSS:::
Dont be sorry if you wrote alot in your post, it doesnt matter here - write as much as you'd like....just like me!:grinthumb

Perhaps this is an issue with the BIOS.. I've seen simliar things before so this wouldn't be too far fetched. You may want to consider flashing your BIOS to the latest version.

!Ok, I'll try flashing my bios to the most recent update and try exchanging the RAM with someone elses. Thanks for helping out guys, I really appreciate it :D !!

One other thing you could try, put the ram in alternate slots and not next to each other, i.e. slot 1 and slot 3, I heard somewhere that adjacent slots can sometimes share data lines or address space or something whereas slot 3 has its own lines, i.e. 1+2 share and 3+4 share, but 1+3 don't and 2+4 don't.

Something like that, I heard it a looooooooong time ago and I'm probably talkin sh*t, but its worth a go eh? :)

Of course all this is irrelavant if you don't have more than 2 slots ;)

Let us know how u get on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back